POSSIBLE solution to sustained damage issue.

Paladin
Hey, guys.

So, I've been reading up on some of these threads about how Ret's sustained damage is low (in my opinion it really is, but that's beside the point). I don't think there were any complaints abour our burst though, because quite frankly we have some of the best burst cooldowns in the game.

Now, how to improve sustained damage and NOT improve burst so we don't become overpowered (which would not be a solution since it would lead to a future nerf down the road)? Let's say they decided to improve seals and censure damage by 10% in order to improve our sustained damage, if you popped cooldowns that would lead to even higher damage output right? So, how about our cooldowns (yes, all of them) revert the buff to sustained damage back to what it is now? The idea is to make it so our sustained is higher overall but when we pop cooldowns our damage will be equal to what we are dealing now while bursting. Would something like this be possible? Does this make sense to someone else or just me?

Let me know what you guys think, please.

Thank you for your time.
You're really undergeared and arent gemmed. You're also using the Holy Avenger talent for more burst, but at the cost of sustained damage.

Please don't mistake this post for something hateful, but I don't think you're in a position to comment on our sustained damage. Quite a few people complain about it, but the fact is that our sustained is really decent if you don't pick the 2-minute-hero talent.

I'm not saying your idea is stupid or anything like that, but I think it's really unnecessary to be asking for a buff to sustained damage right now.

Things get better with gear, especially weapons. Seriously, that green is holding you back so much compared to a heroic dungeon blue or the pvp malevolent. Not gemming is a huge damage loss too, I hope things start looking up when you change those things.

This is my opinion, and thank you for your time :)
01/09/2013 03:02 PMPosted by Arte
but the fact is that our sustained is really decent if you don't pick the 2-minute-hero talent.

I just want to comment on you ragging on Holy Avenger like it's a bad talent, because it's not. Divine Purpose is a good bit behind HA and SW and once you get the four piece it's even worse.
Holy Avenger is the go to talent for arena.
01/09/2013 03:15 PMPosted by Cadenbrie
but the fact is that our sustained is really decent if you don't pick the 2-minute-hero talent.

I just want to comment on you ragging on Holy Avenger like it's a bad talent, because it's not. Divine Purpose is a good bit behind HA and SW and once you get the four piece it's even worse.

I was more referring to how people complain about sustained damage in pvp, without even taking the option blizzard has given them that would solve their problem. I'm aware of HA and SW often being ahead of DP in PVE, in fact I use both of them myself, but I made the assumption that the OP was referring to pvp because of his gear.

You're right. It is a great talent, and I don't mean to sound like im ragging on it.

Our pve sustained isnt so bad, but it's often higher damage to dump sustained for more CD damage and stack the CDs.

I was more referring to how people complain about sustained damage in pvp, without even taking the option blizzard has given them that would solve their problem. I'm aware of HA and SW often being ahead of DP in PVE, in fact I use both of them myself, but I made the assumption that the OP was referring to pvp because of his gear.

You're right. It is a great talent, and I don't mean to sound like im ragging on it.

Our pve sustained isnt so bad, but it's often higher damage to dump sustained for more CD damage and stack the CDs.

No one takes DP because it's !@#$.
Don't cut someone down and tell them they're wrong and then proceed to tell them to take a sub par talent.
Taking a terrible talent won't increase sustained damage, it barely even procs.
It brings down the amount of damage done in fact, you know.. Since it's a bad talent.

Ret's sustained damage is way too slow, simple.
Go back to your dragons and leave the PvP discussion alone.
01/09/2013 03:48 PMPosted by Solvexx
Go back to your dragons and leave the PvP discussion alone.

How about you just tone it down a bit, considering it's entirely unclear in the OP whether or not this is even a PvP discussion?

So, I've been reading up on some of these threads about how Ret's sustained damage is low

According do this bit from the OP, he could be referring to all the "dragon slayers" whining about poor DPS and wanting their sustained damage buffed because "ZOMG warrs." Until he provides some clarification on the exact nature of the game being discussed in relation to Ret's sustained, just chill.
Well, an obvious solution would be to buff inquisition by 5% or something. Sure, it would make our burst burstier but ret, atm, is not the burstiest class. This would buff pvp and pve sustained. Oh, and a slight buff to our 20 second every 3 minute burst. Or, bring back our 2min wings cd.
I'm sorry I wasn't able to respond sooner, I had some issues to take care of and didn't have to get back to this thread, sorry for bumping it too.

Okay, allow me to make some clarifications.

First, I wasn't talking about MY sustained damage in particular, because as the other guy pointed out I have a green weapon on (which I didn't bother replacing because I quit this guy as soon as I got my last honor piece of gear and I don't PvE anymore). However, a lot of people were complaining about our low sustained DPS (mostly PvP... from what I read PvE seems to be okay). So I am not looking for a solution for MY Paladin but rather to the Retribution Paladin community.

I did mention that I also agreed with the fact that our sustained was low, but I also mentioned it was beside the point because I was aware of my gear's stats and even with this horrible gear my burst seems fine, so I said that based on this conclusion.

Again, thank you for your time.
Yea, DP is such garbage.

I did mention that I also agreed with the fact that our sustained was low, but I also mentioned it was beside the point because I was aware of my gear's stats and even with this horrible gear my burst seems fine, so I said that based on this conclusion.

Again, thank you for your time.

Your burst seems fine because rets have tons of burst. All of your damage will be increasing with gear. Your burst will go from "fine" to some of the finest, and your burst will go from "meh" to nothing to complain about.

I find that our burst is more than enough in some situations, so I take DP for more sustained damage and healing.

I was suggesting ways to improve your character's damage, sure, but that argument still stand to say that you, being geared as you are, may not have experienced ret with decent gear. The inference is that you may not think any part of our damage is underpowered compared to all other melee when you are at such gear levels.

I still use other talents from that tier in certain situations in PVP, but if sustained is desired, then DP is a good choice.

I'm also not claiming that we are perfectly sound in pvp. I think that our survivability and peels are a bit low since the healing nerfs, but those are looking like they're being tweaked in 5.2.

PVP in general is a bit whack right now too, but that's an entirely different thread.

BBL, gonna go play with my toy dragons. RAWR!! :)