Battle Pet Respawn Question

Pet Battles
I've read 2 conflicting things about getting pets to spawn; of course getting rid of a battle pet itself will do it but I've heard:

1. Kill the parents, don't kill the normal critters
2. Don't kill the parents, kill the normal critters

So which is it heh
It depends on the battle pet in question. Some pets only respawn when the parent mob does, so you gotta kill them. Some pets are respawned periodically by the parent mob, so you gotta keep them alive.

I think Simca listed out the different types of respawning available somewhere else.

I heard someone else even caught a regular critter morph into a battle pet too; which would mean killing random critters to force spawns isn't necessary either.
I know with Diemetradon and Infested Bear Cubs, you do NOT want to kill the parent. They will spawn a new "baby" roughly every five minutes or so. Raid markers come in very handy in these situations, and help you keep track of the mamas.
Reason I aks is because I'm trying to farm a P/S Molten Hatchling and they only spawn in lava pools and seem to share a spawn with Lava Crabs. There are fire ele's in those pools should I kill them too? Commit zone wide genocide and kill all the petS?
I've spent ~6 hours farming both lava crabs and molten hatchlings, and I'm pretty sure killing mobs has no effect on spawns. Didn't actually try killing critters, so can't comment there. Best of luck on your quest!
When I hunted the Molten Hatchlings I battled the other area pets. I suppose you could kill them instead, but I got some leveling done in the area while I was waiting on the right spawn. I never touched a regular mob and the molten hatchlings seem to spawn in place of lava crabs and the like.

edit: spelin and grammers getting closer to more good.
Yeah I've read Lava Crabs / Molten Hatchlings share the same spawn, guess i'll just level lower level dudes in the mean time while i wait for spawns :/

Thanks for the info
Don't want to kill the parents: Diemetradon, Infected Bears, and Cheetah Cubs
Want to kill the parents: Giraffe Calf

There is never a reason to kill the critters. In many cases, it just does nothing, but other times it is actually counterproductive to kill the critters.

Killing other Battle Pets is sometimes useful and at least never counterproductive (that I know).
Don't want to kill the parents: Diemetradon, Infected Bears, and Cheetah Cubs
Want to kill the parents: Giraffe Calf

There is never a reason to kill the critters. In many cases, it just does nothing, but other times it is actually counterproductive to kill the critters.

Killing other Battle Pets is sometimes useful and at least never counterproductive (that I know).

Killing the rats, battle & non battle critters help the Lofty Librams spawn.