is Human Paladin the right combo for me?

Paladin
I'll try to make this as simplified as possible.
I've never done any serious raiding, or end-game content. this is actually the highest level I've ever reached on a character. I've also pretty much always played Horde.

Having said that, this is what I like doing:
-going through old content, and soloing dungeons/raising reputations to exalted for achievements
-being able to solo content for transmog purposes
-playing random battlegrounds and feeling a sense of contribution towards a win

I thought a Human Paladin would help with these things nicely. I think I'd like a character that isn't as squishy as I feel as with this monk, and I think I enjoy support roles in this game. I've also never experienced anything from an Alliance perspective.

I have enough money to get 3 guild heirlooms (helm, cape, pants) for the character, and enough honor to get the PvP heirloom shoulders to help level him up. I'm not sure which versions to get though.

I think I'd have fun leveling as Protection, but I've never tanked and find the idea of it to be intimidating, especially not knowing the dungeons very well (I've usually dungeoned only as DPS and just followed the group). I've also heard Holy is great for PvP, but then my gear would have to be totally different, which affects heirloom choice.

I was wondering if some Pallies can weigh in on their thoughts after reading this, thanks~!
01/15/2013 04:27 PMPosted by Orzo
-going through old content, and soloing dungeons/raising reputations to exalted for achievements

This right here is the reason you'd want Human, if only because that rep bonus is soooooo wonderful at saving time. Besides the rep racial, the other ones are pretty decent for both PvE and PvP (human was my first Paladin before I switched to Horde in BC).

That being said, if you want to level Protection, by all means go for it. It's a little slow in questing, but very sturdy - just pull a lot of mobs and wallop away with your AoE abilities. Generally same thing for dungeons, too, though you want to ease up depending on your healer. I haven't levelled as Prot myself in the expansion, though I've heard stories, but all I can say is that if you're having trouble, read up on stickies or guides, and just use the levelling experience as a way to learn the ropes - it's honestly not hard once you get the hang of it.

One thing to note, though, is Protection is definitely not a great PvP spec. Holy's more team-oriented and great if you like support, Ret's the RAWR SMASH spec, which still does well in BGs but has a bit of a learning curve. Luckily, a lot of the same stuff you can use for Prot you can use for Ret/vice versa until around the 80s.

With all this in mind, just try as you go and see what feels right. Good luck! =)
This right here is the reason you'd want Human, if only because that rep bonus is soooooo wonderful at saving time. Besides the rep racial, the other ones are pretty decent for both PvE and PvP (human was my first Paladin before I switched to Horde in BC).

You know where I can find more information about it? When I was saying that I wanted to go to the Alliance some people said to me that if you're going to focus at PvE, you're going to be Horde, otherwise, you're going to be Alliance. All because of the racials.

I'm healer and I really like my Blood Elf racial that gives me mana but that really changes something? I always wanted to be a cool Draenei.
If you are tanking, get my heirloom gear. Goodluck
01/15/2013 07:03 PMPosted by Degrate
If you are tanking, get my heirloom gear. Goodluck

But...you have no heirloom gear!

01/15/2013 05:33 PMPosted by Marchen
some people said to me that if you're going to focus at PvE, you're going to be Horde

Wow. I've heard the complete opposite when it came to PvE, people usually generalized Alliance as the PvE faction (though it's arguable either way). Point being, choose the faction/race you want because you like the feel/aesthetic of it, not because of other people's opinions. Back then, the Draenei hit chance aura was AMAZING, but I stuck with my Human and then Blood Elf Paladin because I liked the look of armor on them better, and I still had fun.

In your case, your BE racial doesn't change much; it's only 2% mana every 2 minutes, not exactly a gamebreaker in PvE. None of them really are, tbh.
01/15/2013 05:08 PMPosted by Jackishi

That being said, if you want to level Protection, by all means go for it. It's a little slow in questing, but very sturdy - just pull a lot of mobs and wallop away with your AoE abilities. Generally same thing for dungeons, too, though you want to ease up depending on your healer. I haven't levelled as Prot myself in the expansion, though I've heard stories, but all I can say is that if you're having trouble, read up on stickies or guides, and just use the levelling experience as a way to learn the ropes - it's honestly not hard once you get the hang of it.

One thing to note, though, is Protection is definitely not a great PvP spec. Holy's more team-oriented and great if you like support, Ret's the RAWR SMASH spec, which still does well in BGs but has a bit of a learning curve. Luckily, a lot of the same stuff you can use for Prot you can use for Ret/vice versa until around the 80s.

With all this in mind, just try as you go and see what feels right. Good luck! =)

thanks so much.
would you recommend then the tank heirlooms? I'm just a bit hesitant to get the tank heirlooms, because what if I change my mind and want to go Ret? or what if I do decide to make a Frost or Unholy DK later? I don't have lots of resources to get multiple heirloom sets so it's a tough choice.
and it would be fun to switch to Holy spec for BGs, but how would I go about obtaining gear for that? it seems while leveling you really can only have 1 spec because building up 2 gear sets would be complicatingly hard unless you're very rich. or could I get by with the tank heirlooms with Holy in BGs, with the odd healing plate green?
If anything, instead of the tank heirlooms, I'd get the Strength DPS ones and use them for both DPS and tanking, and switch off whenever you're bored. At low levels, it doesn't make a difference really which you use, but around 80-85 is when you'd want to start switching off due to instances needing gear, and by then some of your heirlooms would've expired anyway.

To get gear for Holy though, that's a toughie, especially if you're trying to cut costs by doing the above. You could risk rolling on healing gear in instances, but that'd piss off people who'd actually need that gear (of course, you could be polite and ask if you can roll for offspec). Str heirlooms are no bueno for Holy, but you could get away with healing greens - they're just sorta rare at low levels.
fem human pally, master race
If anything, instead of the tank heirlooms, I'd get the Strength DPS ones and use them for both DPS and tanking, and switch off whenever you're bored. At low levels, it doesn't make a difference really which you use, but around 80-85 is when you'd want to start switching off due to instances needing gear, and by then some of your heirlooms would've expired anyway.

To get gear for Holy though, that's a toughie, especially if you're trying to cut costs by doing the above. You could risk rolling on healing gear in instances, but that'd piss off people who'd actually need that gear (of course, you could be polite and ask if you can roll for offspec). Str heirlooms are no bueno for Holy, but you could get away with healing greens - they're just sorta rare at low levels.

yeah, how the hell do people even utilize 2nd specs anyway? is it really just rich players that go buy the gear? like is there anyway for a guy starting out to do this? I'll have the resources to get 4 heirlooms (3 bought with gold, 1 bought with honor), but that's the end of it for me lol.
01/16/2013 07:48 AMPosted by Thermadin

I'll probably be a male, if anything so the armor is more visible and looks more tanky
01/16/2013 01:41 PMPosted by Orzo
yeah, how the hell do people even utilize 2nd specs anyway? is it really just rich players that go buy the gear? like is there anyway for a guy starting out to do this? I'll have the resources to get 4 heirlooms (3 bought with gold, 1 bought with honor), but that's the end of it for me lol.

Won't lie, a lot of it has to do with excess gold, but for people who like to cut costs while levelling alts, some of them just grab a set and just use that same set to level (I had a friend who levelled a Mage, Priest, Rogue, and Warrior with the Cloth Spell DPS heirlooms). The truth is, until you hit the later levels, none of the stats really matter much overall, and usually by then you'll have done enough instances or quests to supplement your heirlooms.
01/17/2013 12:22 AMPosted by Orzo

I'll probably be a male, if anything so the armor is more visible and looks more tanky

IDK Draenei in plate is pretty awesome.
01/17/2013 05:47 AMPosted by Meladee

IDK Draenei in plate is pretty awesome.

the male or female?

either way it kind of irks me the way their cloaks bend and hover over their tails. and the hooves distort the boots.

with human you get a clean cut image of what the armor was supposed to be.

or are you specifically talkin about the waggle on dem female dranz?
For pve racials dont really matter. So just go for appearance.

For pvp humans have the best racial b/c it allows you to not use a cc break trinket and use a dmg one. Which instantly makes you deal more sustained dmg than an equally geared player of a different race. Not by a ton, but i imagine at least 5% or so.

The only racial that comes close, dmg wise, is orc which gives better burst.