Sports you do not like.

Movies, TV and Entertainment
01/22/2013 01:09 AMPosted by Positron
Figure skating.

Is fun to watch.

I watched a guy leap into the air, do a back flip & land on skates.

That's just friggin' impressive.
01/22/2013 01:14 AMPosted by Killercaitie
Figure skating.

Is fun to watch.

I watched a guy leap into the air, do a back flip & land on skates.

That's just friggin' impressive.

It's the same stuff and I've always argued it's not a sport. It's a dance. If figure skating is a sport then so should breakdancing.
01/22/2013 10:57 AMPosted by Positron
It's the same stuff and I've always argued it's not a sport. It's a dance. If figure skating is a sport then so should breakdancing.

Dear, Poker & Darts are considered sports on tv now.

Yeah.
Figure skating looks more physically demanding than most, if not all forms of dancing, so I have no problems calling it a sport. Poker and darts on the other hand...
01/22/2013 12:35 PMPosted by Nunepi
Figure skating looks more physically demanding than most, if not all forms of dancing, so I have no problems calling it a sport. Poker and darts on the other hand...

Not even close to breakdancing which is more akin to gymnastics and works your entire body.

It's not a sport when you judge on artistic impressions.
01/22/2013 12:51 PMPosted by Positron
Not even close to breakdancing which is more akin to gymnastics

01/22/2013 12:51 PMPosted by Positron
It's not a sport when you judge on artistic impressions.

Isn't gymnastics a sport judged on artistic impressions?

Isn't gymnastics a sport judged on artistic impressions?

Only the floor exercise.
01/22/2013 12:35 PMPosted by Nunepi

Plus the constant danger of getting a skate to the damn face if your partner screws up.

Plus the girls who do it are so thin that I get worried they might shatter if they fall D:
Golf. Most boring sport in the world. And it's a total waste of space and water. Seriously, it's the most expensive game to maintain.
01/22/2013 01:57 PMPosted by Rufyn
If golf, chess, darts, poker, billiards, track and field, and gymnastics are sports than Figure Skating definitely is.

I can understand poker, but track and gymnastics? I don't get the comparison.

Not saying figure skating isn't hard per se, but then so is ballet. It's basically ballet on ice.
01/22/2013 06:15 PMPosted by Positron
It's basically ballet on ice.

Maybe the 2 person routines look like ballet, but it's not all like that. I don't know much of anything about figure skating besides what I see on the winter olympics every 4 years, but the 1 person routines look more like the floor exercise in gymnastics, and we've already established that the floor exercise is a sport, even though it's judged on artistic impression.

If you want to argue that certain forms of dance should be considered a sport for the olympics or in general, I probably wouldn't disagree, you have some compelling reasons.
Oh look running! What talent it takes to put one foot in front of the other! Explain how this shows any skill as compared to Ice Skating.
To be fair, track and field has many, many different events. And to compete at a competitive level requires just as much work as any other sport.
01/22/2013 06:58 PMPosted by Rufyn
track

Oh look running! What talent it takes to put one foot in front of the other!
Explain how this shows any skill as compared to Ice Skating.
gymnastics

Gymnastics is moving your body around to show off strength and flexibility. It's Ice Skating but without the blades and the ice.
So, wussy Ice Skating.

Well warm-ups for real sports shouldn't count, so that leaves out track and ice skating.

What actual sport to I find boring? Baseball....

Love football, love basketball, love hockey... but when it comes to watching Baseball I feel like all I'm doing is watching the grass grow and hope to god it doesn't go into extra innings.
01/22/2013 07:10 PMPosted by Nunepi
It's basically ballet on ice.

Maybe the 2 person routines look like ballet, but it's not all like that. I don't know much of anything about figure skating besides what I see on the winter olympics every 4 years, but the 1 person routines look more like the floor exercise in gymnastics, and we've already established that the floor exercise is a sport, even though it's judged on artistic impression.

If you want to argue that certain forms of dance should be considered a sport for the olympics or in general, I probably wouldn't disagree, you have some compelling reasons.

It's the same thing really. Have you ever seen a dancer? Particularly a male dancer? They are cut to the teeth like a gymnist. Dancers in general are really just as fit as any of those athletes. I fail to see what's the difference between figure skating and dance.

I'm sure dance will never make it to Olympics. Rather I think figure skating shouldn't be considered a sport. The floor exercise isn't the only event in gymnastics either.
Football.

I hate football so much. It's such a overrated and pretentious sport for absolutely no reason. When the superbowl occurs there's about 50 people trying to shack up in one room just to watch the damn game. Ugh, I never understood the hype.
Same for me.

I'm not real much into sports though. Always just been fond of video games and music.

Gold is fun though.
MMA. You get a big introduction to these fighters about how they trained in the Himalayas with Shaolin monks and crap, then they spend 20 minutes rolling around punching each other in the crotch.

There's a reason movies choreograph wholly unrealistic fight scenes. Real fighting is dangerous to do and boring to watch.
01/23/2013 02:13 PMPosted by Rufyn
To be fair, track and field has many, many different events. And to compete at a competitive level requires just as much work as any other sport.

Granted. Shotput, High Jump, Hurdles, those are skillful imo. I just don't see any real merit within the short sprints.
Yeah those were exactly what I was meaning.

And as a long-time sprinter, you're right. As long as you don't fall over on the starting blocks and keep in good running shape, there is nothing to it.