New 27" iMac

Mac Technical Support
I just received delivery of my new 27" iMac last weekend and have been playing wow with it. Holy cow does this thing scream compared to the older imacs. In my config I upgraded the Ram to 16gb, the gfx card to the 680mx 2gb, the intel i7 over the i5 and the hard drive to the 1TB Fusion. The load times are almost instant. I usually play with V-Sync enabled and the card got a consistent 60fps on max resolution with all the graphics settings on Good. Once you start inching up the sliders it starts to take a toll on the card though. And the thing is silent. After 2 or 3 hours of consistent play time the internal fans never seemed to kick in or if they did it was so quiet I didn't hear them.

Really this machine is a killer upgrade to prior macs. Anyone with an older iMac should totally think about it. Apple didn't really scrimp on this one.
how does it run with maxed out ultra settings? i'm disapointed you are only running at good. you have all latest updates? have you made sure you have NOT used sleep or triggered sleep performance bug (then it probably would choke at just above good).
I'll try it. I usually don't play games on ultra settings. I prefer FPS over Pretty. But I'll see how it goes. Its fully updated and I haven't encountered any "sleep bugs" yet.
Mine's been on order for a a month... soon™...hopefully=\
Ok I tried Ultra last night. Very weird. I think I found that OpenGL bug. I jacked it up to Ultra and my framerate was solid at 60FPS (v-synch is on, btw). Then all of a sudden it just cut in half to 30fps and stayed there. So I dropped the settings down to High and it shot back up to 60fps. Thinking I found your bug, i restarted the computer went back in on Ultra and it was 60FPS again until suddenly it sliced in half to 30fps and stuck there. Very strange.

I also have Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 (SC2 looks particularly awesome on that high res display on max quality imo) so I tried both of those on the highest settings and had no frame rate issues at all. Consistent 60fps. I also tried eve online and a few other games I have on there and couldn't get them to duplicate it either.

This seems to only effect World of Warcraft and only when its on Ultra so i'm not entirely convinced this is a driver issue. The odd thing is that HIGH quality settings in WoW don't seem to have this problem, its only in ULTRA. Since high has all the same features enabled as ultra does, just some at a slightly lower setting, I don't get where it could be coming from.
As someone that's looking at a similar setup, I find that report a bit on the disappointing. I'm presently using a bit older PC that's fairly purpose built for gaming and seeing similar performance - I was hoping to get a big bump in aesthetics and smoothness with the late 2012 iMac! Anyone else that can report in, I'd love to hear more info.
01/28/2013 05:09 AMPosted by Eclipséd
As someone that's looking at a similar setup, I find that report a bit on the disappointing.

I have been playing with my mid-2011 iMac with the upgraded 16GB of memory and video card and can play on "ultra" settings without any issues. I get about 47fps while on ultra but I am almost certain that I can attribute this to my wireless connection and not the computer. I can successfully play with maxed out settings, with Skype, Chrome, and Pandora open for hours on end and never have an issue. I hope this helps reinforce your excitement for your 2012 iMac! I have definitely had great luck with mine.
I have the iMac 27 inch that came out in the fall of 2009. It has a 3.4 GHz Core 2 Duo processor, 8 GB of RAM, 1 TB of HD space. It really is an amazing machine. I am in love with it. I have a few issues with it and every now and then it bugs me, but it's very rare.

I used to play WoW on a 19 Inch dell computer that had very poor hardware stats and it constantly blue screened on me, because Windows Vista was full of bugs and errors.

I can't tell you how much of a joy it has been these past 3-4 years playing on a 27 inch screen, high to ultra settings, built in mic and all the other amazing things Apple has to offer.

I wish I could get one of the newer iMacs with the faster processors and what not. When I got mine, you had to pay a large amount of money to get the i5 and i7 versions of the processor. They all come stock now.
I've been playing on the new 27" i7 680mx with 24GB and 1TB fusion for about a month now and I'm happy with the performance. I run at 2560x1440 set to ultra. I run a lot of virtual machines and when I did that with my old mac I knew I had forgotten to shut one down. Several times now I've logged out to see more than one VM running right there and been absolutely giddy that I didn't even notice the performance hit. I was really leery getting another mac as my previous machine was one of the 24" iMacs with the 8800gs which was an utter turd. This machine however puts off very little heat and I can actually touch it after 3-4 hours of raiding. My previous system literally had the potential of causing 2nd degree burns with bare skin contact.
I have the same setup, a 2012 iMac with the GTX680mx, the I7, and the fusion 1TB drive. I play with the max resolution (2560x1440) and everything set to ultra. I get a steady FPS of around 70, and with video capture software I get around 45-55.

I also have played WoW with both 8gigs or ram (what came with the system) and a upgraded 32 gigs and it makes not one big of difference in terms or world of warcraft performance.
Im using the 27" with i7 and 16 GB Ram. No Fusion drive and just the stock GTX 675 MX.

When running with ultra settings I am experiencing FPS drops to one digit rates near high crowded areas (pandaria captital for instance). But I can live with that.

However there is another thing I cant nail down.

I am loosing my network connection in WoW and TS3. As far I can tell, it is not my ISP or anything in the internet. All other devices like iPads, other Macs or iPhones still have internet during the connection loss. That means it is either the Mac or my router blocking the Mac for whatever reason. Disabling the Firewall on the router reduces the problem, but it is still there.

The iMac 27" is running OS X 10.8.2 (12C2037). Is 10.8.2 known to have problems?
Nevo, the behavior you're describing is vertical sync. V-sync means your FPS will be a factor of 60, e.g. 60, 30, 20, 15, 12, 10, etc. If your computer is trying to show a scene, and it can't hit 60fps, it will drop to 30. Turn v-sync off and play full screen, and you'll notice your framerate not sticking to the above numbers.
Turn v-sync off and see what happens. You really don't need that on unless you get a ton of screen tearing.
What the heck, I just got the 27" imac with the 675mx 1gb video card and I'm running ultra everything at 45 fps at the shrine and 50+ everywhere else/bgs.
How are some of you guys seeing 60 FPS (with vsync on) and everything up to ultra? When I have my 27" iMac with the 680MX 2 GB VRAM set with everything maxed, I'm looking at 20-30 FPS.

The game is completely smooth with most settings on good, but for me the killer has been the native resolution (2560x1440) with high or ultra draw distance.

If I could wish anything about my new iMac, it would be for the native display resolution to be down around 1920x1200. I suspect this would have a big impact on performance (plus my desktop wouldn't be so small).

I'm aware that I can change the resolution, but running anything outside the native mode looks hideous.

It just seems like kind of a waste. I have this really high resolution display, but inside WoW I turn the UI scaling way up so it's approximate to what you'd get on a lower-res display. At native resolution, the UI is way too small for me. (My thanks to the Blizzard UI devs who had the foresight to make UI elements scalable. It makes a huge difference.)