5.2 release question

Warrior
i'm sitting at ilvl 509 atm.. will this gear be quickly made obsolete with the patch release? or will i still be competitive in the new raids and such..

what is 509 in the new patch?

when is the "expected" release? 2 months or what?
From the 10/25 thread by critho:

You’ll now see a 5.2 raid item of LFR quality at item level 502, the same item in Normal quality at item level 522, the item in Normal Thunderforged quality at item level 528, the Heroic version of the item at level 535, and the Heroic Thunderforged version of the item at level 541.

As to the release date? Unkwnon. I would guess at late Feb.
From the 10/25 thread by critho:

You’ll now see a 5.2 raid item of LFR quality at item level 502, the same item in Normal quality at item level 522, the item in Normal Thunderforged quality at item level 528, the Heroic version of the item at level 535, and the Heroic Thunderforged version of the item at level 541.

As to the release date? Unkwnon. I would guess at late Feb.

How quick do you think my gear would be made obsolete?
Practically every item from normal and higher would be an upgrade. So it depends on how quickly you knock bosses down.

Edit: you should know this of course.
01/23/2013 11:40 AMPosted by Sucubus
How quick do you think my gear would be made obsolete?

It's ilvl 520. The highest you'll see in most cases will be 517 with 2/2 upgrades.

Things will likely be better itemized, more sockets will start to appear, etc.

You'll replace most things very, very fast.
I just wish 5.2 wouldnt come so quickly.. <hugs 5.1> :p
01/23/2013 01:01 PMPosted by Samayael
Things will likely be better itemized, more sockets will start to appear, etc.

That would be interesting, haven't heard about more sockets.

What do you mean.. items more itemized?
Hopefully better stats. More crit, less haste lol.
It happens every expansion. The first tier of gear isn't well itemized and each set for the plate DPS has the same stats. The next tier will have better itemized gear in general, more crit for instance or less, say, haste, and might have more sockets. Gloves might end up with sockets (see: T7 -> T8), and you'll see more weapons with sockets likely as well.

Now I'm not saying for certain you'll see more sockets, but it's very likely. T11 had 3 red sockets, 3 blue, and one yellow. T12 had 3 red, 3 yellow, and 1 blue, which was better itemization at the time. Also had more pieces with crit (257 crit rating vs 676 on T11H vs T12N). T13 had 8 red sockets, 1 yellow, and 1 blue. There were more red sockets on T13 than there were on T12 or T11 total.
is 5.2 the Firelands of cata? In terms of content timing.