Character progression missing heroic on boss

Community Platform API
02/04/2013 05:28 PMPosted by Peratryn
The issue with doing that is that all of the ID's would switch. My current thinking is to deprecate the ID column here and put in an "encounterId" column that people should switch to using in the future.

I'd like an encounterId too, something that doesn't change and will stay consistent would be great.
02/04/2013 05:28 PMPosted by Peratryn
Would you like it if the ID was put back to the npc id that it was previously, or would it be better to switch and display the encounter ID or some other unique ID to each boss encounter?

I propose to elimintate the numerical IDs and use encounter names instead.
I'd rather have a numerical ID and a static ressource that contains all encounters including encountername/expansion/patch/instance(name)/raidsize/...

The id (or name for that matter) should be constant, unique (I look at you, Ragnaros and Ragnaros - bad example for encounter name uniqueness), and not be bound to one localization, if no additional data is provided. If additional data is provided, why use some arbitrary alias/string instead of it's record id?
02/13/2013 01:24 AMPosted by Jakumi
I'd rather have a numerical ID and a static ressource that contains all encounters including encountername/expansion/patch/instance(name)/raidsize/...

In theory numerical IDs are better indeed. But from practical point of view, it's better to get rid of them now as it's currently a mess.
Application developers should implement name -> id mapping in their applications instead of messing with creature ids, encounter ids, etc.

By the way, if you would try to use the data right now, there is no other way than using the names at the moment.

Removing numerical IDs is the easiest solution, and what's important, bug free!

So this would benefit for:
- developers that maintain their applications, so we don't have to change our code many times (ID -> Name -> Encounter ID)
- the API developers, it's just the easiest way for them.

02/13/2013 01:24 AMPosted by Jakumi
The id (or name for that matter) should be constant, unique (I look at you, Ragnaros and Ragnaros - bad example for encounter name uniqueness), and not be bound to one localization, if no additional data is provided. If additional data is provided, why use some arbitrary alias/string instead of it's record id?

For unique names you combine Dungeon Name and Boss Name.
I don't see any problem with binding to English language.
02/13/2013 01:54 AMPosted by Wanttowrite

Application developers should implement name -> id mapping in their applications instead of messing with creature ids, encounter ids, etc.

And what of localisation?

Removing numerical IDs is the easiest solution, and what's important, bug free!
So this would benefit for:
- developers that maintain their applications, so we don't have to change our code many times (ID -> Name -> Encounter ID)
- the API developers, it's just the easiest way for them.
For unique names you combine Dungeon Name and Boss Name.
I don't see any problem with binding to English language.

When the solution is a tried and true numeric id (and that's working) then, I see a vast problem with binding to the English language when the API spits out names in other languages. If your app needs to work regardless of language, then I hope you enjoy maintaining the Language x -> English mappings.
If localization is so important, then probably slugs would be the best solution (they are used already in diablo 3 api for quests)