Performance Issues with MBP mid-2010

Mac Technical Support
Hey everyone,

looking for a bit of help here.

Im currently running a 15' MBP mid-2010 model.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M and Intel HD Graphics
4gigs of RAM
i5 2.53GHz

OS X 10.8.2

Basically can't run WoW at anything above the lowest settings available. If I turn my view distance up past the lowest setting I practically can't move at all.

Graphics switching is turned off.

Anyone have any suggestions? I didn't think my computer was THAT bad.
I think the 330M just isn't up to snuff though... Not too sure

I have tried running in 32bit as well as 64bit... Notice the recommended RAM for 64bit is 6GB.. Would I benefit from upgrading my RAM?

Any help or comments would be much appreciated!

**Side thought** It's also kind of funny because when im looking at my settings in-game, the "recommended" settings all say HIGH. Yet I can barely run at low.
I refer you to this thread:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7764666924

on that thread, look to my post at the bottom and then visit the other threads that I link there. This is an on-going problem with macs and wow post-5.0. It has been going on for roughly 5 months now.

Any update from a blue post on the status of this problem would be very much appreciated, thank you.
Thanks for the link Marc.

Some 1 on 1 help with this issue would be much appreciated too!
I have the same machine and can run at 30-40fps, check:

- restart in safe mode then restart in normal mode (indexing can cause issues)
- reset SMC
- make sure you have installed smcFanControl and it's rotating at 4-5k/sec while you play WoW
- go into your logs (launch System Information in the Utilities folder) and see if there is any error
- install geekbench (CPU benchmark) and Cinebench (GPU benchmark) to make sure the hardware works
- make sure your settings are low (stuff like fluid effects and shadows *destroys* fps on OSX)
- check in the Activity Monitor/System Memory/Page Outs, a high value might indicate that you need to either launch less applications with WoW or add more memory
Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB
Software OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)

I can run at 30 fps (i cap at 30 fps), always have smc fan control on, but only at low settings. Based on my computer's specs, I should be able to run at all high settings except for a few key things like sunshafts, etc.
Yeah Marc, your machine is quite a bit better than mine and you can still only run at 30fps so imagine what I have to deal with. lmao. Generally never above 14 fps.

I'll try booting up into safe mode. Now that I think about it, i've never gone into safe mode with this machine. Im actually a technical support advisor for Apple and I tell people to use safe mode all day... but I've never done it myself haha.

fan control is interesting. I'll have to try that out. I know generally as soon as WoW opens, it sounds like my fans start spinning at full speed. I'll give it a shot though.
Did most of the things listed above.. Got some minimal improvements but still not quite where i'd like to be

Guess I just need a better system :(
Is the low performance on the Intel card or the Nvidia card ?

Try installing :

http://gfx.io/

And making sure it's set to use the Discrete card (IE The Nvidia Card). Gfx card status should have a menu bar icon denoting which graphics card is being used at the time.

Also have you tried a SMC and/or a PRAM reset at all ?
I don't know if I should be posting here, but I am having similar issues with the same model Macbook pro mid 2010.
My fps is jumps from 20 to 50 constantly while going through Org.
I have gfx and have done SMC and PRAM resets which have gotten my fps to 60 and kept it smooth until I zoned out.
I've been back to WoW for a month now and with my graphics on low I don't understand why my playing experience is so choppy.
Is my computer already that outdated or is the model as problematic as in Cata?
Is this only happening in Org only?
No, everywhere in all the zones. I can log in for a while and be at a smooth 60 fps and then it feels like my graphics card begins stuttering (descriptive only, I wouldn't know the any technical aspect to describe this as) and then my normal play experience ranges between 15 to 40, with the fps wavering without really doing much more than flying around. I can see the fps changing just in my movement as the wingbeats of my mount are relatively smooth (say 45 fps) and then all of sudden for a moment become more choppy (15 fps). There is no noticeable difference with my addons off.
It has been like that since Cata. Constant wavering fps and fans at 6k rpm. I don't know where the connection lies, or whether my computer is just longer optimized for playing.
Should I be posting elsewhere for answer?
My apologies, sometimes post slip by. I'm looping this in with other feedback we got about performance and seeing what we can find out. I'm sending all these reports up to be reviewed. Hopefully I'll hear something soon.