Blizz Pet Store and Pet Battles

General Discussion
Does anyone else get the feeling that part of the intended design of pet battles is a cash grab?

There are two pets in particular that are considered ideal, mandatory even, to create the best Conflag and Darkness comps. Not only are these two comps widely used already, but in the up-and-coming patch they'll be two of the three biggest contenders now that Blizz has completely neutered many of the competitors.

Lil' Ragnaros has the highest attack in the game in addition to a unique moveset that makes it very versatile.

Soul of the Aspects has Surge of Light, which gives a 100% chance to stun while the weather is darkness. A similar ability, Deep Freeze, gives a 100% chance to stun while the weather is a blizzard, but this ability has now been given an 8-round cooldown. 8-round, compared to Surge of Light's 3-round, while the functionality of the moves are essentially the same.

These advantages are not rewards for collectors, as you of course don't need to be a collector to visit the Blizz Store. Many of the rare pets, the pets that are now unobtainable, the pets that are exclusive to the TCG, are lemons. Inferior breeds, lame movesets, etc. Spectral Tiger Cub will soon be the only exception, but as movesets similar to his will be nerfed, he will be the only exception because he will be one of the only pets left with that advantage in particular, and as he is rather rare it's likely it was simply an oversight.

It really boils down to the question of whether or not the pet store gives players an advantage. If the circumstances are evaluated individually, it all seems rather, well, circumstantial. But when combined, that Lil' Rag is considered the quintessential 3rd member of any Conflag team, that SotA retains an ability that wasn't nerfed despite being identical in functionality to Deep Freeze, and that while many popular comps will be rendered non-viable in the coming patch, the comps these two pets in particular are ideal for are not being touched. These comps were left virtually unscathed by nerfs, which will likely boost the popularity of these two pets.

Pet battles are optional content, and they'll always be optional content. Yet, should someone be able to drop $20 directly into Blizz's coffers for a direct advantage? Of the hundreds and hundreds of pets in this game, of the very few you can purchase in the Blizz store, how is it two of those very few pets are so powerful?
I can't read this and take it seriously.

I just can't.

I just can't.

Your highest level pet is 20, and you have never participated in a single PvP pet battle. I'm sorry if I feel that makes you unqualified to form an opinion about pet battle PvP, but, would you take the opinion on arena balance of a player who's yet to get the achievement Step Into The Arena seriously?
Meh screw it. I'm not going to be misquoted or misinterpreted for my failed reading comprehension this early in the morning. Disregard what was originally here.

I just can't.

Your highest level pet is 20, and you have never participated in a single PvP pet battle. I'm sorry if I feel that makes you unqualified to form an opinion about pet battle PvP, but, would you take the opinion of a player on arena balance who's yet to get the achievement Step Into the Arena?

Ok, stop.

You're asking for opinions- that person gave you hers. No reason to be snide at all.

My opinion (and I HAVE done pet pvp battles and think they're dumb), no- I don't feel like I absolutely need to have the store bought pets. I've gotten by just fine with some oddball comps.
02/03/2013 04:57 PMPosted by Jujubiju
You're asking for opinions- that person gave you hers. No reason to be snide at all.

Paksan was being snide.
02/03/2013 04:57 PMPosted by Calfredd
Bashing someone on what they have or have not done instead of focusing on the issues is the first sign that your argument is failing.

Ok, stop.

My opinion (and I HAVE done pet pvp battles and think they're dumb), no- I don't feel like I absolutely need to have the store bought pets. I've gotten by just fine with some oddball comps.

There's a difference between an opinion and an educated opinion. The topic is pet battle PvP. She has never participated in a single PvP pet battle. How is she supposed to be knowledgeable about the topic enough to give an educated opinion?
02/03/2013 05:01 PMPosted by Mertil
There's a difference between an opinion and an educated opinion. The topic is pet battle PvP. She has never participated in a single PvP pet battle. How is she supposed to be knowledgeable about the topic enough to give an educated opinion?
Then you are suppose to skip her post. The smart thing to do is focus on posts that actually post constructively and ignore the negative posts.
There are other viable conflag pets outside of Lil'rag. The issue isn't with the pets but rather the moves themselves. Both conflag and darkness teams are overpowered right now so those are what need to be addressed, and as long as feedback is given on them they should be like what happened with reflect/FFF comps.

There are other pet store pets that are completely worthless like the cinderkitty and moonkin pets. So no, it's not required to use the petstore to excel at pet battles. Look at the fluxfire feline, after all.

I just can't.

Your highest level pet is 20. I'm sorry if I feel that makes you unqualified to form an opinion about pet battle PvP, but, it's safe to say you've never pet battled at level 25..

No, I don't pet battle, except to catch a random pet I see.

So classic though, checking the armory to judge another.

And last I checked, you didn't need to be qualified to have an OPINION, which you asked for.

02/03/2013 04:38 PMPosted by Mertil
Does anyone else get the feeling that part of the intended design of pet battles is a cash grab?

What would be the point of even selling them, if not to earn something from it? All I'm saying is, it is NOT necessary to have said pets. I'm sure other people can competitively compete in battle pet PVP without these pets, and be successful.
And how often is the weather effect Darkness up for the soul of aspects to benefit from the stun?

There are specific teams that revolve around darkness and conflag moves, specifically in pet battle PVP. So if you're running a darkness team specifically, it's up all the time. The idea is that you use a pet to set up darkness at all times (bonus points if it's something like a feline familiar that can prowl + darkness for massive damage) then use two other pets that benefit from darkness to use stuns or double damage on darkness abilities until the CD for darkness is back up again.

Darkness and conflag comps are all over the meta pet battle PVP game right now. Mostly because they work well against triple fluxfire feline teams which are just awful.
There are other viable conflag pets outside of Lil'rag. The issue isn't with the pets but rather the moves themselves. Both conflag and darkness teams are overpowered right now so those are what need to be addressed, and as long as feedback is given on them they should be like what happened with reflect/FFF comps.

There are other pet store pets that are completely worthless like the cinderkitty and moonkin pets. So no, it's not required to use the petstore to excel at pet battles. Look at the fluxfire feline, after all.

That's something I was wondering about. As popular as Conflag and Darkness pets are, you would think there would be as much if not more data on them than the offending comps that were hit with the nerfbat. As pet battles are still relatively new, I suppose we'll have to wait and see if this is a pattern, if Darkness and Conflag seem to be protected.

While there are alternatives to Lil Rag and SotA, the fact is they are considered the best for a variety of reasons.

Lil Rag as an elemental is immune to Scorched Earth and other weather effects. Not only does he have the highest attack power of the elementals, but he has the highest attack in the game. While there are alternatives, he is the best. It's like gemming with an epic gem or a rare gem. They'll both get the job done, but if you pitted a Conflag team with Rag against a Conflag team without him, the one with is probably going to win because of pure numbers.

SotA is the only dragonkin available to a Darkness comp, so any Darkness team without him is missing out on that racial. Currently, Reflection when strategically used can in turn cripple your opponent's strategy. In the next patch, the move will still have its uses, as being a dodge with priority preserving SotA's usefulness despite it's slow speed. Both Reflection as is and dodges are ideal as stalls, giving your team enough time and invulnerability until Call Darkness comes off cooldown again, as well as an opportunity to interrupt your enemy's attempt at a combo or using one of their cooldowns.

While the pet store does have its lemons, these two pets really shine. As I said, it's not giving an advantage to the collectors who will drop money on each and every pet Blizz sells. However, in addition to those players, there likely will be (and are) many competitive players who otherwise wouldn't be interested in paying extra money for pets, now considering that, hey, it's only $10-20.
No, I don't pet battle, except to catch a random pet I see.

So classic though, checking the armory to judge another.

And last I checked, you didn't need to be qualified to have an OPINION, which you asked for.

There's a difference between an opinion and an educated opinion.

If you had had a little bit of pet battle PvP experience, or even one level 25 pet, I wouldn't have raised the issue whatsoever. One doesn't need to forsake class to question the source of the argument. I wouldn't expect a level 60 to be able to discuss level 90 content from experience, because he's never experienced it. That's not unreasonable.

You are entitled to an opinion. That doesn't mean your opinion is right, or that you're qualified to give it on that subject in particular.
Yeah but the thing is, mechanically, neither of those pets have any bonuses over others. They have the same stat calculations as any other pets in the game. (Except, ironically, the cinderkitten.) Lil'Rag has higher attack but his HP and speed suffers because of it. If they ever address conflag, he'll be knocked down a peg.

The reason darkness and conflag have escaped the nerfbat for right now is because the fluxfire feline and reflect were such a huge issue. That was almost literally what everyone on the pet battle forums were talking about for months until the latest patch notes.

I just can't.

Your highest level pet is 20, and you have never participated in a single PvP pet battle. I'm sorry if I feel that makes you unqualified to form an opinion about pet battle PvP, but, would you take the opinion on arena balance of a player who's yet to get the achievement Step Into The Arena seriously?

lmao. oh my god, you can't be real.
Pet battle were never, ever intended to be taken as seriously as you are, OP. Really, it's a random thing thrown in for fun and achievements. That's it. It doesn't need to be perfectly balanced. I'd honest rather have Blizzard spend their time balancing meaningful content. You know, raid mechanics and class balance.

Pet battles are a side game. Nothing more.
Do what I did, be female and have some WoW guyz buy you every Blizzard Store pet.
I appreciate that a lot of you guys don't pet battle or take it seriously, because we all focus on different things in this game but the OP has a relevant point that's been brought up a few times on the pet battle forums before. I'm not saying you don't deserve an opinion on the matter, but argue against the OP's point instead of calling them silly for taking pet battles seriously.

The team that does pet battles is different from the team that handles raids, PVP balance, etc. And yes, the pet battle developers do spend time balancing it. That's why there's a whole section of patch notes for it on the PTR patch notes blog.

If someone enjoys pet battling as their main focus of WoW content, then let them. Their $15 a month helps to pay for their pet battle content and whatever content you yourself enjoy as well. So there's no reason to look down on or make fun of them.
What about those of us that purchased the majority of our pet store pets before there was such a thing as pet battles? Are we paying to win as well? I bought them because I thought they were cute, not because I thought they'd be useful in pet battles a year or two after purchase.

I do own a cinderkitten though. It's utterly adorable. I don't care if it's useful in battle. It's useful in making me go "awwwww, so cute."

Edit to add: I do pet battles but I haven't tried PVP with it yet. I like pets and I enjoy collecting.