The Lion Roars: Really? PvP to PvE?

Quests
Prev 1 4 5 6 13 Next
Type this in BG chat when you're waiting for Silvershard Mine to start:

"Take 2 carts. Stay with them and fight in the circles. Let them take the high ones, don't chase them."

Win every time. Most people don't know what to do in that BG.
Terrible, terrible decision to require PvP for a PvE quest chain, arguably the central quest chain in the expansion. Stupid, poorly thought out game design. I am still waiting for someone at Blizzard to explain why they would put a PvP requirement in for PvE.
Not fond of the other one at all, but Silvershard is kind of fun. Getting the PVP crafted gear and gemming all resilience helped a lot in my enjoyment. 500g for a quest for an eventual legendary was cheap in my book.
Not fond of the other one at all, but Silvershard is kind of fun. Getting the PVP crafted gear and gemming all resilience helped a lot in my enjoyment. 500g for a chance to progress in a quest for an eventual legendary was cheap in my book.

Fixed. You're still gonna need to pray your group can win the BG.
05/02/2013 06:24 PMPosted by Elsepth
Not fond of the other one at all, but Silvershard is kind of fun. Getting the PVP crafted gear and gemming all resilience helped a lot in my enjoyment. 500g for a chance to progress in a quest for an eventual legendary was cheap in my book.

Fixed. You're still gonna need to pray your group can win the BG.

It only took a day or so of constantly running Konmogu to do it. I had to find a group that was competent enough to carry me through in spite of my gear and disabilities, but I managed it. And now I am never, ever going back to that particular BG, though I was competent enough to play and enjoy Silvershard.
I'm always amazed how much some people whine about a tiny PvP objective. You could AFK through the battlegrounds and it wouldn't take that long to get 2 wins.
I'm always amazed how much some people whine about a tiny PvP objective. You could AFK through the battlegrounds and it wouldn't take that long to get 2 wins.

You queue up and wait it out for a loss or you wait it out for a win.

Good quest design right there.

Glad you're amazed. No amount of explanation will suffice, since you clearly don't get the problem. And falling into that trite use of "whine" shows you're not interested in getting it either. Fine, we can write you off.

But thanks so much for the suggestion! After going 0-12 today in Silvershard, and getting obliterated every time I try to contribute to a win, I'm just going to go hide somewhere in the BG from now on, until I get the win I need. It totally goes against the grain, since I like to try to help out, but... Since Blizz made it damn near impossible for me to do that, I'll just go with your suggestion.
More PvP quests please.
More PvP quests please.

Yeah, really - at least we have some control over win/loss.

Much better than these damned collection quests. I'm on the Secrets one (after the PvP one, guys...you'll get *more* RNG). 40 trillium bars collected, no problem - 7/20 Secrets after 4 weeks. /sigh

This is a loooooong chain.
That's because you're horde, change to ally and see how many bg's you win.
I hate pvp, I can't stand it. Its a defective piece of excrement and I loathe just the idea of doing it. Which is why I stopped doing it years ago.

Instead of fixing it, blizzards idea is to force pve players to join and to be pvp players chew toy for the next hour or so.

If this is blizzards way of trying to get pve players interested in pvp, that is a horrible way to go about doing it. By forcing someone to do it, the more inclined they will not do it willingly in the future.

The last time I done this quest was on my main about 4 months back and I had to do both battlegrounds around 20 times each to just win them both once.

The entire questline up until this point was pve based and then blizzard slaps us across the face with a pvp based quest from out of nowhere.

The pvp players here calling us "whiners" would themselves be "whining" if in order to obtain their most powerful pvp weapon was to do a particular raid until said weapon dropped off the specified boss. Which possibly meant running the same raid multiple times in order to obtain it.

Yes you only have to win two battlegrounds, but what many of you clearly failed to see is that its not that simple for many people. (Particularly Alliance players)
Try winning those battlegrounds when your faction battlegroup is freaking terrible at said battlegrounds and having to do the same battleground as many as 30 times in order to get one victory.

I just recently finished the quest on this toon (Thunrassian) and just before then I had a discussion with another pve player who had told me that she had tried and failed 29 times, luckily her 30th attempt finally paid off for her and gave her a high five before we went our separate ways.
She told me how she had to get drunk just to make the grind tolerable.
I don't mind pvp, I like it even and have 482 ilvl pvp gear. That said, Silvershard Mines SUCKS as an alliance player.

I have done 13 runs on this BG and have never even come close to a win, and I've won 297 bg's. The second I get my win for this quest it will go back on blacklist.
I don't want to pvp. You're pissing me off making me.
Poor, poor design choice by the developers.

Ungeared PvE players are next to useless in BGs, and it is just painful suffering death after death only to fail.

Did they imagine that the PvE players should be forced to practice PvP, to grind and accumulate gear so that they can acquit themselves adequately? Is that REALLY the design goal - to force people into playing a completely different game they are not interested in?

I joined a PvE realm for a reason - to limit any PvP I did to being on MY terms.
I haven't posted on these forums for years, either, but this has struck such in a nerve in me that I felt the need.

I can grind mob kills, rep, dailies, farm stuff, run instance after instance chasing my goal, and I enjoy that. It is the game I CHOSE to play.

This is not.

Boo, hiss, boo!
Been stuck on the horde version for a month now. I managed to complete the mine requirement, but just can never get a win in temple of kotmogu as horde. I am a very average PvPer (probably even worse than average), but with a good enough team, I can pull my weight. I just feel like it's a waste of time. I really don't feel like having to go through the gearing process for pvp just to complete a quest meant for pve, but is instead, pvp!!!

Real lack of thought by the developers there.
Like many here I am one of those (on another toon) who worked so hard to collect Sigils of Power and Wisdom and tried to cap my VPs each week. It took me more than 6 weeks to complete the quest only to find out that the next part was PvP. I felt that I was tricked - I had to create a ticket to show my disgust. The GMs response - they wanted to "encourage" some variety in playstyles. Encourage is not the right word. I felt I was being forced to PvP because there was no other way provided to proceed with the questline. I am so disappointed in you, whoever decided that this was a great idea. You can keep all the legendaries. I never touched that questline again on any of my toons.
It's painful, but once you get past it you can celebrate that you never have to queue for that crap ever again!

I suppose it won't be as bad now (overall) now that they've more or less baked resilience into everyone vs. making it very gear dependent, but even then getting wins as alliance was horrible.

Only way they will ever get me to PVP in this game again is if they make some vehicle based one like Wintergrasp or make a true DOTA style (ie, you pick a hero and have limited abilities). Less frustrating than FOTM domination.
Could not agree more, this is a game-breaker imo. Especially if your like me, on a dead server that see's horde win 19/20 battlegrounds.

Rift tried to do this, make people PVP to PVE, and it got me to quit that game as well.

It's as if bliz is trying to scare us away with this one.

Recommendation: remove this quest all-together before you only have PVP'ers left.

2nd Recommendation: Merge servers and make an attempt to balance them.

3rd recommendation: allow 3 losses to equal a win. This would at least allow us to finish the quest in under 6 hours and give us time to regain faith in the game.
And now PvPers know how it feels where PvE gear is better for PvP.

Quit crying, it's two wins.

on a dead server that see's horde win 19/20 battlegrounds.

This has nothing to do with PvP

before you only have PVP'ers left.

They're leaving too.

05/23/2013 04:33 PMPosted by Clinch
allow 3 losses to equal a win.

You would learn nothing.

Good bye!