The Dark Portal

Story Forum
I want to know about the statues on its sides. Do they resemble anyone/anything?
I don't believe so, they show up in Nagrand and some other places - used to be in Beggar's Haunt - I guess they're just there to look cool and imposing.
I always just assumed it was No Heart from Care Bears.
My theory is Gul'dan designed them based on Medivh.
02/06/2013 11:16 AMPosted by Dreignei
My theory is Gul'dan designed them based on Medivh.

That's what I figure.

Orc was receiving telepathic instructions from Medivh through the Nether. It's almost kind of symbolic....a big portal, with two humans "guarding" the entrance to the world of the humans.
Well the first portal was destroyed in Beyond the Dark Portal that one was built by Illidan to escape too outland.
02/06/2013 12:09 PMPosted by Nathreim
Well the first portal was destroyed in Beyond the Dark Portal that one was built by Illidan to escape too outland.
Kazzak, not Illidan.
Kazzak, not Illidan.

That's right Illidan's portal for himself and his allies was temporary my memory on the issue has run together.

No, the Azeroth-side portal was destroyed at the end of Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness, but it was rebuilt by the Horde in Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal.

Illidan and Kazzak didn't build it.
They don't resemble anything but cool. In Rise of the Horde it is just something Medivh showed Gul'dan.
It's possible they represent something or someone within the Twisting Nether, but it's never been properly addressed.
I'll have to double check but I think in RotH it's mentioned not even the orcs know what they are.

I still stand by my Medivh theory.
the statues are next to many portals, and the alter of storms i think. i think they are some kind of legion based thing rather than being an orc thing.

like in Narggrad there is the "secret" legion portal that has the statues next to it, as do several other inactive portals.
The Black Temple is full of them.
They looked like the death knights from WC2.
02/07/2013 09:23 PMPosted by Searik
They looked like the death knights from WC2.
And were it not for the fact that the statues were built before the death knights were created, that theory might explain it.
Just saying, it was probably just a cosmetic thing made back in the day for that.
Possibly... I'm trying to remember if those statues were ever seen pre-BtDP or not.