Open Libram LXVII: Ruh-roh, RET ALERT!

Paladin
Prev 1 2 3 4 26 Next
02/07/2013 03:44 PMPosted by Elidra
I wonder why GC's back on the "Ret can't have what melee need without huge sacrifices" kick again.

Enough mages started crying about getting killed by Rets? This is, of course, in spite of the fact that we're still not allowed in Arenas or RBGs beyond a certain rating.
We cant be effective melee if we dont have similar tools to all the melee.

It was a silly comparison, would be like saying "Rogues can use crippling poison, might as well put a snare on everyone when a rogue enters a BG/Arena"
I can understand their desire for us to want to use other seals; I agree with that.

But the problem is that SoT is just too good for almost every situation at the expense of the utility of others. And making those others competitive with the damage at the cost of utility is redundant.
In thinking more on it, the SoJ change concerns me for PvE - that stack, coupled with the 4pT15 could amount to some severely insane numbers.
I think you're all overreacting, unless you play with like 200 ping. Then I take it back. ^_-
Every melee has a snare that they dont have to talent.

Thats the main point

They're making us an bad exception for whatever reason, which isnt good.
02/07/2013 04:05 PMPosted by Hafleur
I think you're all overreacting, unless you play with like 200 ping. Then I take it back. ^_-

I typically run wth ~100 ping, and not having a snare is massive. I do not want to return to the constant "target is out of range" bollocks again.
I don't want us to be the 5.0 warriors. Giving us TfB on our primary HP finisher just feels like setting us up for getting bent over by hotfix nerfs yet again.
02/07/2013 04:38 PMPosted by Cayse
I don't want us to be the 5.0 warriors. Giving us TfB on our primary HP finisher just feels like setting us up for getting bent over by hotfix nerfs yet again.

That's what scares the most when GC starts taking a hard look at ret. We get lined up for the nerfbat, and/or get back-handed buffs that hurt more than they fix.
Too much good news for too long, you knew something had to give.
On a better note, Ret heals in 5.2!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkehzz4aj5w

Granted, this is without Battle Fatigue, but it's still pretty amazing.
We've come so far as a melee spec. This is a step backwards. Not only are we losing something we should have baseline, all we're really gaining is more burst potential.

If the mechanic is enjoyable, it may be worth the tradeoff.

Every melee has a snare that they dont have to talent.

Thats the main point

This just doesn't seem that big of a deal to me. It sounds like you want to be equal for equality's sake. It's not that huge of a tradeoff in a raid to spec Burden of Guilt.

As for PvP, this only affects us in two ways: 1, somewhat of a nerf to arena Ret-caster synergy, and 2, BoG will be a little better for solo PvP. Again, not the end of the world like some paladins are making it out to be. Truth-FoJ is already generally better in 3's and Truth-BoG is already generally better in RBG's.
I'm really not sure what they're trying to accomplish with this. If they're looking for a sustained boost without making burst OP, why are they giving us something that isn't a sustained DPS gain, and yet gives us more burst potential? And the weird thing is, considering it's a 5 stack debuff on a 6 sec (reduced by haste) CD and that it's not top priority and thus wont be used on CD anyway, I can't even fathom where this would be a DPS benefit. A 30 secondish ramp up for a small boost to one attack. In what situation is this useful? An add that lives just long enough to get a full stack on it, but is also immune to DoTs? A 3 second period of burst that can be set up on the boss ahead of time that needs to be bursted instantly? Who knows...

Anyway... on an unrelated note, while digging through my cluttered desk today, I found beta keys for Neverwinter and RaiderZ that I had gotten from PAX East then forgotten about. I signed up for the Neverwinter beta, but apparently I completely missed the RaiderZ beta and it's already out. Has anyone played it and know if it's worth bothering with now that I can't be like "ooh I'm in a beta!"?
02/07/2013 05:58 PMPosted by Darthelm
I'm really not sure what they're trying to accomplish with this. If they're looking for a sustained boost without making burst OP, why are they giving us something that isn't a sustained DPS gain, and yet gives us more burst potential?

You can set it up. Something Ret lacks (which doesn't really bother me, but it does) is "sustained burst." This isn't sustained damage and it's not burst damage. It's regular, usually controllable burst windows. Nothing like Wings burst, but it's still burst.

02/07/2013 05:58 PMPosted by Darthelm
And the weird thing is, considering it's a 5 stack debuff on a 6 sec (reduced by haste) CD and that it's not top priority and thus wont be used on CD anyway, I can't even fathom where this would be a DPS benefit.

Is it only on Judgment? When I first read the description, I thought GC meant Judgment as well as attacks that currently apply Justice. Your interpretation is too slow, and mine may be too fast. hrm
Got the 666th post in that thread. Between this and my insistence that losing SoJ snare wouldn't be the end of the world, I think I'm the Antiret.