Fear is op

Arenas
Prev 1 4 5 6 Next
The worst part is getting feared away (as a healer) to run back and get silenced, then feared again.
Fear is, and always has been, one of the worst mechanics in the game. It's not an 8 sec CC it's a 15 second CC once you've run back. It doesn't break early enough, and it can be chained with far too little depreciation. Not all of us are warriors that can jump clear across arena maps on a whim. It should be nerfed into the ground along with the rest of the obscene CC's currently in game. All of the CC classes have a ridiculous advantage in arenas, specifically 2v2, and don't give me this "Arenas are balanced for 3v3" nonsense if 2v2 is a feature in the game then Blizzard should feel obligated to support it or remove it, and if they have to choose the latter then so be it. I'm tired of being undervalued in arena comps because I can't chain CC and have crap for off-heals. Blizzard please make hybrid specs, specifically Retribution and Enhancement, viable in 2v2. Hopefully you stick to buffing support heals next content patch. It's a good start.
Fear OP?

its the warlock's only reliable cc (lies, and slander! they have stuns) without using sucumbos who's cc shares a DR with the fear. Priests fear is on a 22 second CD that is easily countered at least the first 2-3 times. our only other cc as a priest is a 8 yrd range root if you change your talent to that. and that is also on a decent cd compared to the gap closers all melee have.

While I think there may be an issue with when it breaks. I think the CC in and of its self, is not OP with consideration to all there is to counter it.

However going from full to dead in a 5 second stun? not that stun is OP the damage in the game is....... just freakin stupid. It's why the rank one glads are all gemming ressil is so they can stop that from happening.

the other cc's are ok in my current opinion. Ferals cyclone is already getting nerfed so idc about that one.
02/01/2013 04:45 PMPosted by Loreonguy
I've had fear break on 10% of my health pool, then I have had other times where I have been hit with double chaos bolt crits and it didn't break. !@#$ is broke yo

so my fear is bugged, and i want it fixxed, couse 1 incinerate + conflagrate is turning it off..
02/05/2013 01:46 AMPosted by Scabrous
1 incinerate + conflagrate is turning it off..

That's at least 250k damage?
Just make all fears like Warrior fears and all you have to do is sneeze on your target and it breaks.
02/05/2013 07:16 AMPosted by Jecklehead
Just make all fears like Warrior fears and all you have to do is sneeze on your target and it breaks.

Fear is a distance maker for clothies (if you hadn't realised, the traditional fear classes - Warlocks and Priests - aren't very mobile) and is also designed to give latitude to apply DoT effects and allow them to tick a bit (also something that Warlocks and Priests share in common). I swear there is something wrong with the damage threshold on fears, although I am yet to see someone provide anything other than anecdotal evidence of it not breaking. If I saw a combat log with "X casted fear" followed by a loss of 20%+ HP before fear broke I'd be more sympathetic. I think it's more a case of people taking massive damage as the fear breaks and in that regard the fear is no different to how polymorph can be employed - as a prelude to bursting.
I'm in ur base phearing ur manz!!!!

The suggestion that fear sends you running to Africa every time is such a giant load of crap. I was feared on my deathknight while lichborne and trinket were down and it did not make me run all the way to Africa.

On a side note, when the fear ended I discovered that New Zealand is lovely this time of year.
It'd be nice to see the Pally stun break on damage.

Locks get one instant fear, on CD, and one cast. If no one is payig attention to you, casting fear is easy (just watch those diminishing returns). However, getting shadow locked leaves you fearless, not to mention difficult to escape the 15 warrior closes, and such. Sometimes they are used together, when getting pounded on cast a mortal coil, that gets quickly trinketed and hope you have enough time to fear. Hopefully you've gotten your port down earlier, although you can't do that while moving (unlike friggin soulwell), and can get some separation.
02/04/2013 10:32 AMPosted by Lone
The worst part is getting feared away (as a healer) to run back and get silenced, then feared again.

That is actually working as intended.

I do see a lot of paladins complaining about the threshold. I posted in dd forums of fear breaking from immolate on training dummy. Some paladins need to do some test on fear threshold for paladin class. Get some hard facts.

1 incinerate + conflagrate is turning it off..

That's at least 250k damage?

... No. Fully geared versus fully geared not even close.
just make fear give health back like polymorph, that seems fair
I do see a lot of paladins complaining about the threshold. I posted in dd forums of fear breaking from immolate on training dummy. Some paladins need to do some test on fear threshold for paladin class. Get some hard facts.

Fear is very OP against Ret...

Ret not viable as a result of short comings in dealing with about half the CC in the game... Fear is the worst.
02/01/2013 04:45 PMPosted by Loreonguy
times where I have been hit with double chaos bolt crits and it didn't break.
I'll bring it back, Lsx! Hehe ;) I'm sorry, but Fear does not break as easily as it (maybe) is supposed to. At 85, I could lose 20% of my health in Life Drain. It just didn't break. What I WOULD like to see is your list of immunities that exist for fear. There is the same 2 min trinket (free for humans) that EVERYONE has, that we all blow on one stun/poly/sleep or another. I can cast my dreaded Bubble... but that's a five minute CD, and intended to save my life, not break a CC. Fear virtually does not break on DOTs. This may be anecdotal, but when everyone has the same experience, anecdote starts to sound an awful lot like fact. I think the consensus here is that Fear should have at least a short CD, or give us a fair countermeasure that has a reasonable CD also to break it once in a while. I truly do understand that core to your survival in the ability to stay at range and avoid attack. But core to a melee character is the ability to get to melee range. One INCH outside of melee range keeps you from getting hit by a Pally (we got NONE of the cool "drag you into melee range" abilities that Warriors and DKs got. We just have to run.) Our Rebuke is a great tool to interrupt spell casts, but guess what... melee range. You have to actually be faced with a fight of your own and run to your Demonic Gateway or teleport away once in a while, not just fear away and attack at your leisure against a classes that have no way to ever get a fair shake. I honestly, honestly don't mind it being a core part of your arsenal and survival. I realize you have no armor. But getting away is MUCH easier than getting close. We all mostly run at the same speed. If 90% of my attacks require melee to do anything meaningful, and you can hit at 30-40 yards for mad damage while life draining and self healing, and I can barely get a hit in, it's just no point. Let it be a challenge. I don't think most people realize that Fear has no immunities without wasting the "catch-all" immunities (and they ALL have long CDs). Fear has no CD. DR is 15 sec reset. It takes that long to cover the 40 yards you just teleported away most of the time, then Fear and Fear again. I wouldn't even want to play if I could never be touched, Pally, Lock, or anything. Thanks for listening. Let the flaming begin LOL! ;)
And though I know it's considered trolling or impolite to link to other forum posts, for those Pallys especially (but ANYONE who wants to pressure Blizz to give us a tiny little break on Fear), I started a thread in the Pally class forum called "Pallys Unite..." Please check it out. Lots of intelligent, informed thoughts and opinions about fair measures to even the playing field on this. Thanks for taking the time to read, and have fun everyone! :D