What's under Tirisfal?

Story Forum
Well, I have an idea that I don't believe I've heard suggested before.

Perhaps Elune is under Tirisfal.

It does somewhat make sense, if you think about it.

The shores of Tirisfal would have been near the Well of Eternity and right around Night Elven civilization before the Sundering. Who worships Elune? The Night Elves.

After the Highborne's exile(and transformation into the Quel'dorei, I believe) they landed on the shores of Tirisfal. There, something drove them insane, which caused them to move on.

The Quel'dorei went against the Night Elves' ban on arcane magic, which got them exiled. Afterwards, as a mockery of the Night Elven Priesthood, they glorified the sun.

So, let's say Elune is underneath Tirisfal. These exiled Night Elves glorify the sun as a mockery of Elune. Wouldn't you be pretty ticked off, too? So she drives them insane, as a sign that they need to leave.

Later, Lordaeron pops up in Tirisfal. Remember all those paladins that lived in Lordaeron? Perhaps it was the fact that Elune was underneath Tirisfal that these people were able to become paladins, and were able to wield the Light.

Even later, the Scourge has taken over. I don't believe it's been stated how, but Sylvanas is able to break free of the Lich King's control, along with other undead that become the Forsaken.

In a case like that, think of it like this: There's the Scourge, and one of their unwilling servants is there right above you. Lesser of two evils, free the unwilling servant and allow her to fight back against the Scourge, which effectively ends up pushing the Scourge out of Tirisfal, mostly.
Even later, the Scourge has taken over. I don't believe it's been stated how, but Sylvanas is able to break free of the Lich King's control, along with other undead that become the Forsaken.

it was clearly established that Illidan's spell to melt Icecrown caused the Lich King's power to wane and Sylvanas/Forsaken break free during that time.
02/06/2013 11:37 PMPosted by Ximothy

it was clearly established that Illidan's spell to melt Icecrown caused the Lich King's power to wane and Sylvanas/Forsaken break free during that time.

Even so, if this theory were to prove true, Elune being underneath Tirisfal could have affected her, along with Illidan's spell.
02/06/2013 11:39 PMPosted by Wolvigar
Even so, if this theory were to prove true, Elune being underneath Tirisfal could have affected her, along with Illidan's spell.

Sure. It all of it's redundant glory.

Why would they add another reason? The current one works fine and is believable, while adding Elune's influence would add unnecessary complication to a currently simple reason.
02/06/2013 11:43 PMPosted by Ximothy

Sure. It all of it's redundant glory.

Why would they add another reason? The current one works fine and is believable, while adding Elune's influence would add unnecessary complication to a currently simple reason.

Either way, my main point is that Elune could be under Tirisfal.
She'd be terrifying and threatening to the Horde at least.
So, why exactly is Elune not doing anything to the Forsaken when the Night Elves are being attacked by the Forsaken and their allies?
02/06/2013 11:47 PMPosted by Gandred
So, why exactly is Elune not doing anything to the Forsaken when the Night Elves are being attacked by the Forsaken and their allies?

Now that, I don't really have an explanation for. But it's just an idea.
02/06/2013 11:47 PMPosted by Gandred

Elune has gone neutral

/trollface
Perhaps Elune is under Tirisfal.

Well, we really don't know what is under Tirisfal aside from a ask Cdev answer stating that what is under Tirisfal is disturbing and it is probably not a good idea to go digging around there.

It has been speculated that it might anything from an Old God, to a Titan, to Tyre. As to whether or not it is Elune under there I doubt it. Priestesses of the Moon continued to recieve visions and blessings from her well after the War of the Ancients.

Now with that said, I leave you to dig up whatever is down there.
It's not an Old God.

It's a New God.

Much more hip. More swag. Popped collars.
Why would she be under Tirisfal? Doesn't she have a moon to live on and stags to sleep with?
02/07/2013 01:16 AMPosted by Lena
Doesn't she have a moon to live on and stags to sleep with?

Reminds me of my last trip on acid.

Maybe there is a moon under tirisfal too.

And a stag.
The shores of Tirisfal would have been near the Well of Eternity and right around Night Elven civilization before the Sundering.

Actually Tirisfal would have been quite some distance from the well. The regions that are now Gilneas, Hillsbrad, and the Wetlands would have all been much closer. However, either way you slice it the lands immediately surrounded the Well broke away and sank for many miles in every direction when the Sundering hit. The ruins in Azshara are the remnants of the closest night elven communities we've seen, and even they were quite some distance.

After the Highborne's exile(and transformation into the Quel'dorei, I believe) they landed on the shores of Tirisfal. There, something drove them insane, which caused them to move on.

The Quel'dorei went against the Night Elves' ban on arcane magic, which got them exiled. Afterwards, as a mockery of the Night Elven Priesthood, they glorified the sun.

Elune doesn't seem the type to enact retribution through "insanity lolz." She's much more the "STRIKE DOWN WITH GREAT ANGER AND FURIOUS VENGEANCE" type.

Also worth noting is that the high elves' sun worship doesn't seem to be a thing that came into being until some time later - their capitol in Quel'thalas is named Silvermoon, that's not a nametag you'd stick on your new pad if you'd already flipped over into sun worship and moon hate.

Also worth noting (just for the sake of noting it) is that the Quel'dorei didn't transform into the high elves for some time after their exile - being cut off from the Well of Eternity in the years they spent crossing Lordaeron was what did it.

Later, Lordaeron pops up in Tirisfal. Remember all those paladins that lived in Lordaeron? Perhaps it was the fact that Elune was underneath Tirisfal that these people were able to become paladins, and were able to wield the Light.

Priests were found in all human cultures across the world, and humanity originated in Arathor (Arathi), rather than Lordaeron. Moreover, paladins came into being at the wrong end of the country for this theory - the Order of the Silver Hand was founded in Stratholme.

As Ximothy already pointed out, this would be incredibly redundant after the weakening of the Lich King being the stated reason for the Forsakens' freedom.

More, one thing nobody's pointed out is how thematically bizarre this would be-

At heart, Elune is a sky-goddess. Her powers and miracles are themed around moonlight and stars - nelf priests used to have starshards as a racial spell, her high priestess uses moonfire and starfall (and the echo of Tyrande in End Time uses abilities like moonlance, lunar guidance, and moonbolt). She created (or had a hand in creating) a race of creatures called moonkin.

Finding Elune (or the source of Elune, or what have you) under the ground (on another continent from the night elves) would just be bizarre. It certainly wouldn't have been foreshadowed in any meaningful way, and would make for an incredibly underwhelming twist.
Elune is not evil the thing under Tirisfal was described to be just as bad if not worse than an Old God.

02/07/2013 12:25 AMPosted by Danseis
Well, we really don't know what is under Tirisfal aside from a ask Cdev answer stating that what is under Tirisfal is disturbing and it is probably not a good idea to go digging around there.

I'm sure the Bran will be breaking ground any day now.

The evil under Tirisfal gives me hope for some brand new villain to fight Blizz really needs to make more enemies for us.
I honestly can't think of what's under Tirisfal unless it's something completely new (like the Sha). The fey-drunk sprite darters could be an indicator but that doesn't really help because one, they're associated with the Emerald Dream and two, when one thinks of the Dream/Nightmare they would think of Xavius, the Rift of Aln, and N'Zoth (who is responsible for the Nightmare), and Blizzard has specifically stated what's under Tirisfal is not related to Old Gods. And it can't be a Titan/Titan building because Titans do not equal sprite darters.

Elune being under Tirisfal would be completely out of left field. Unless Blizz can come up with a good story behind it, I can't see it happening. Although I am hoping that, when the time does come to solve this mystery, we get to really dig up the area and see this "evil" for ourselves.