Help with Tank DPS please

Death Knight
Post Limit:
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong I pull anywhere from 35-40k dps in 10m MSV but I know I should be able to pull more if anyone wants to take a look at the stats , gems , gylphs ect and mayeb lead me in a different direction or perhaps a decent rotation or helpful addon please let me know
You could try upping your hit/exp. You should see a significant increase if you are able to do so.
02/01/2013 09:22 AMPosted by Redster
You could try upping your hit/exp. You should see a significant increase if you are able to do so.

Hit yes. Expertise no. Death Strike and Rune Strike can't be parried or dodged remember, and last I checked, neither can spells (such as Outbreak or Blood Boil).

Ultimately, your focus as a tank is survival, not dps. Are you the off-tank or the main tank? If you're the off-tank, it might be that you're taking less damage and can't get vengeance stacked very high. Otherwise, it might be just your rotation. Let us know.
02/01/2013 06:39 AMPosted by Ghoulaid
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong I pull anywhere from 35-40k dps in 10m MSV but I know I should be able to pull more if anyone wants to take a look at the stats , gems , gylphs ect and mayeb lead me in a different direction or perhaps a decent rotation or helpful addon please let me know
You're a tank, who cares about DPS? Unless you are having threat problems I wouldn't be losing sleep over it.
Death Strike can be dodge/parried. But it heals regardless. It's Rune Strike that can't be Dodge/Parried. The reason we don't care about expertise is that since Rune Strike can't be avoided by our target but it can miss. As long as Rune Strike lands it helps to insure that you are gaining as many death strikes as possible.

p.s. You focusing on your dps is looking at a symptom and not the cause. Even if you capped your hit there is a great chance that won't even account for 1% of the boss' health. It's not your hit/expertise that amps your dps. It's Vengeance and Blizz has now even capped how much vengeance tanks can get to better keep tank dps in check.

edited to add.

When I meant symptom. Your dps is a symptom but the cause is your actual raid's dps as in all the other players. A tank can't compensate for dps playing under their potential. For example you could bend over backward trying to get 10k dps as a tank. That is only 4.2 million over 7 minutes in a fight like garalon. 600k a minute. Raid bosses in a 10 man with 220 mil? You would be doing barely over 0.25% at best of that bosses health. Doing 40k dps basically means you're only downing like 1% of of his total health every minute as a tank. GG.
02/01/2013 12:01 PMPosted by Tor
Death Strike can be dodge/parried. But it heals regardless. It's Rune Strike that can't be Dodge/Parried. The reason we don't care about expertise is that since Rune Strike can't be avoided by our target but it can miss. As long as Rune Strike lands it helps to insure that you are gaining as many death strikes as possible.

Wrong. Death strike can be dodged, but not parried. Rune strike can be neither dodged nor parried.
hes actually the main tank and i am the off tank depending on the fights lol
Yes I am the main tank. I switch to dps during the one tank fights. I just look at raidbots.com and it shows I'm performing under average on dps I dont like being below average and I've check every build/rotation and it just seems that I cant top it
Reforge hit and expertise, but don't pull from mastery to do so. Stand in stuff that hurts you while paying close attention to your health, so you can stack Vengeance. On normal Elegon, for instance, I find that resetting stacks in the orb phase is counterproductive. You can definitely use that extra DPS to take out the orbs, and use Death Strike to heal.

To increase DPS, you do need expertise. Your Heart Strikes and Soul Reapers are a big part of your output, and once in a while, you can afford to use your death runes on some Heart Strikes.
02/04/2013 04:51 PMPosted by Ghoulaid
Yes I am the main tank. I switch to dps during the one tank fights. I just look at raidbots.com and it shows I'm performing under average on dps I dont like being below average and I've check every build/rotation and it just seems that I cant top it

If you are switching to DPS for one tank fights, you actually should switch to a real DPS spec or expect to do low damage.

As far as doing 35-40k if you are actually tanking a fight, thats not that bad.
I dont switch im always the tank
Yes I am the main tank. I switch to dps during the one tank fights

02/07/2013 02:42 PMPosted by Ghoulaid

?
You are contradicting yourself. You either are switching to Frost or Unholy or you are always blood and "trying" to dps. I see a frost spec but also if you're frost and using your tanking gear your dps won't be that great as Frost. Especially if you're still using a 2 hander.
I did but they switched me to main tank now I dont switch at all. When I was switching I did use frost as dps and pull decent numbers most of the time near the top of the chart.
I have a 474 dps set I know better than to wear tank gear while trying to dps.
Your job is to hold threat and minimize the damage you take. If you want to see higher number go dps and let someone else tank.
when added together your posts are very incoherent.

Unless your intention for this thread was to confuse and waste peoples time, I suggest you stop worrying about whatever motivated you to create it.

02/07/2013 08:23 PMPosted by Ghoulaid
When I was switching I did use frost as dps and pull decent numbers most of the time near the top of the chart.

02/07/2013 08:23 PMPosted by Ghoulaid
I did but they switched me to main tank now I dont switch at all.

02/07/2013 02:42 PMPosted by Ghoulaid

So you are always the tank now and you feel like 35-40k is too low? Why even bring up all that other !@#$?
If you hit/exp cap you will do more damage. Furthermore, capping hit/exp will cause your autoattacks to connect more often which stacks scent of blood more quickly. Just be sure not to ever gem for it or sacrifice mastery to cap.
Drop glyph of outbreak, you want to use it on the pull to start your diseases, with roiling blood you should -never- have to re-apply diseases manually unless you are doing so with DRW up as you'll get 2 sets of dots going, which is why capping both hit and expertise to 7.5% is important as this will prevent outbreak from missing as well as extra damage from everything except rune strike.

Lichborne while a good talent, also drains rp to use, meaning less rune strikes, switch to purgatory as you also have death pact meaning that if purgatory goes off, pop death pact and you basically just got away from a potential wipe due to tank death.

Same thing with runic corruption, if blood tap is too much work for you, at least switch to the other lv 75 talent, you'll get more runes from it which will also add to your dps.

At this point in your progression, it is your job to survive, you're wearing mostly lfr gear which means that your dps will be below average as you're using gear below the average ilvl of the content you are doing, focus on staying alive for now, the extra tank dps will come as you get more gear and start moving into heroics, which is where enrage timers get tighter.