Moonkin single target dps help

Druid
I feel like my single target dps is lacking. and i really don't know what I can improve on. basically i'm at a complete lost. I'm really not sure if it's skill or if it's my ilvl, currently at 493.

this is the most recent log today, heoric feng 25. Given i did die once but was rezzed. http://worldoflogs.com/reports/fa9yhxz4f6q7fmr6/details/9/?s=10129&e=10537

and here's the link to the raids for this week, hof and toes.
http://worldoflogs.com/guilds/2370/
well your gear is pretty damn on par!!! So your stats are not the issue. Is it just Feng that you feel your single target is low or all your fights like that?

For H Feng your uptime on your DoTs could be a bit higher... your hovering at 90%. I am unsure if I am missing something here, however as I go through logs I see uptime definitely always higher than that. Top parsed boomkin for the fight had his DoTs up for 96% and 95% of the time. That tells me that there is something going on with your Moonfire and Sunfire application.

Do you have an addon that tracks your DoT application? Here is another thing. Its not just DoT application its when you apply them. You should already be Dotting when you have NG active, but also you should really apply your DoTs when your trinks proc. If your able to apply them then, the DPS of your DoTs should spike.

I also want to point out that, it doesnt really help a whole hell of a lot, but something if your comfortable with your rotation is, to be casting your uneclipsed DoT first then your Eclipsed DoT second to stack Lunar Shower. Although its only affecting the initial hit every little bit counts.

Next what is your rotation? Unless you can get a perfect burst rotation right out the gate, the chances of you getting a top of the charts DPS is somewhat slim to none >_<. It also doesnt help that the add phase takes away from your DPS on Feng, as well the movement in the fight just is obnoxious, for us.
02/04/2013 08:37 AMPosted by Skyotter
For H Feng your uptime on your DoTs could be a bit higher... your hovering at 90%. I am unsure if I am missing something here, however as I go through logs I see uptime definitely always higher than that. Top parsed boomkin for the fight had his DoTs up for 96% and 95% of the time. That tells me that there is something going on with your Moonfire and Sunfire application.
This could easily be explained by the adds phase, or stopping dps to allow for a better transition(so that the tanks will have their spells up for the next special). Not saying that its not the issue, just that it isn't necessarily the issue. I'll try and take a closer look after class if you guys haven't finished looking at everything yet.
Well then that makes sense, if your stopping for transition. If you have DBM you can really time when you should reapply DoTs right before the add phase. That would effectively help with DoT uptime.

Are you timing your later burst, with hero/lust? I looks like you have 4 spikes, so it doesnt really seem like your timing your CD's to match your Hero/lust. Which is totally fine because holding off could lead to wasting DPS, however if you want to optimize your burst you want to time it, which is hard and can be a !@#$% at times!!!

Are you using effective macros? and If so what are they?
well your gear is pretty damn on par!!! So your stats are not the issue. Is it just Feng that you feel your single target is low or all your fights like that?

No, quite a few in HoF i feel like it's severely lacking but I think I can account my dot uptime to that.

I'm not exactly sure what went on with my dot application. I typically only dot once in an eclipse and then don't redot if i'm 2-3 cast away from the next ecilpse.

Do you have an addon that tracks your DoT application? Here is another thing. Its not just DoT application its when you apply them. You should already be Dotting when you have NG active, but also you should really apply your DoTs when your trinks proc. If your able to apply them then, the DPS of your DoTs should spike.

I think this may be the issue because I don't redot when my trinks proc unless it's during my burst. Tho i do have a question about this. let's say there's NG dot on the target, and then my trinks proc but NG is down would i overwrite them still?

Next what is your rotation?

one cast from lunar, fight starts, starfall, wrath, NV Incarnation starfire, starfall once the previous one ends, get to 0 energy then CA then starfire and starfall agian. normal roation would be dots in beginning solar i would only cast SS once usually. lunar SS whenever. otherwise ss on cd.

Are you timing your later burst, with hero/lust? I looks like you have 4 spikes, so it doesnt really seem like your timing your CD's to match your Hero/lust.

Hero was popped the beginning so that's when i popped my CDS, I was only able to use my CDS twice this fight, since we killed it off before hand.
You died (during Heroism, no less) and you're still solidly in the middle of the pack. Not sure what your concern is.

Good dot uptime.
Good NG uptime.
Good CD usage.
Can't evaluate your gear since you're in resto, but Otter said it was good.
So, maybe... don't die next time? :P
02/05/2013 02:54 PMPosted by Lafanel
No, quite a few in HoF i feel like it's severely lacking but I think I can account my dot uptime to that.

Especially in HoF our DPS will feel so low... movement on Attenuation... Movement in Windlord... Movement in Garalon... Amber traps/Wind bombs in bladelord... we excel in ambershaper... and even more movement in empress.

This tier really sucks when it comes to standstill DPS... which if you want to excel in you really need to be. In all actuality your numbers compared to some of the boomies out there pretty nice as I go through your logs.

I'm not exactly sure what went on with my dot application. I typically only dot once in an eclipse and then don't redot if i'm 2-3 cast away from the next ecilpse.

Your right here. If i remember correctly you do have your 4 piece so your sitting on a pretty high horse (or mammoth mount ;-p) if you ask me. If your crit gods are nice to you and you get a few refreshes on DoTs that how you really should be Dotting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjHTTWUW3to

Here is a link on DoT management. Bologna a really cool balance druid who posts on here shared this link of him and DoT upkeep. I recommend checking it out!!! Its on par with what we need to do.

I think this may be the issue because I don't redot when my trinks proc unless it's during my burst. Tho i do have a question about this. let's say there's NG dot on the target, and then my trinks proc but NG is down would i overwrite them still?

Ummmm... yes/no. I only say this because if memory serves me correctly you have LotC and the DMF trink. I suggest that if your trinket procs after you refresh your DoTs, just apply the Eclipsed DoT. Its only 1 GCD it really shouldnt be that much of a loss in the short term and actually be a DPS gain in the long term. As well your trinkets should really be still up by the time you get to the next eclipse state. And since NG now procs at the start of every eclipse you should be able to apply your uneclipsed DoT then. Although I dont have the theory crafting numbers right in front of me, Cyous would really be the person to ask about that one.

one cast from lunar, fight starts, starfall, wrath, NV Incarnation starfire, starfall once the previous one ends, get to 0 energy then CA then starfire and starfall agian. normal roation would be dots in beginning solar i would only cast SS once usually. lunar SS whenever. otherwise ss on cd.

Yeah thats a very short answer to a very long burst rotation but it seems as though you have the rotation down. However I dont see you use the word macro once. IDK if you imply you have them or dont use them at all. That is something I highly recommend doing if you dont have them already.

Pre-fight: Food> Flask> Mark> Symbiosis> Mushroom x3> Astral Communion to 75 before Lunar Eclipse> Pre-Pot

Burst Part One: Starfall> Wrath> LUNAR ECLIPSE> Inc/NV (Macro)> Sunfire THEN Moonfire> Starsurge (on Proc)> Starfire> Starfall> Starfire to 0 Lunar Energy

Burst Part Two: CA/ Berzerk (if your troll)/ Profession (Synappse Springs Eng/ Lifeblood Herb)/ Trinkets/ barkskin/ Moonfire (all Macro'd)> starfall> Starsurge (on Proc)> Starfire to Solar
Here you want to make sure right before Inc/NV/CA all fall off that you reapply your moonfire.

Part 3: Now you are out of your burst rotation you pop mushrooms> Starsurge (on Proc)> wrath> lastly make sure you dont clip your Super Buffed DoTs. Let them fall off before reapplying your next applications> but apply moonfire THEN sunfire right after your DoTs fall off.

From then on out its a rinse wash repeat that rotation. The tricky part is timing your 2nd or 3rd time (depending on flight legnth) using your CD's to match up with Hero/Lust. That is when you want to use your potion. When you have Hero/Inc/NV/CA with your potion that will be intense DPS.

Here is my rotation with my macros explained. If you need further help and havent yet read Eluial's sticky Moonfirespam (highly recommended!!!) here is a link to a thread that goes into quite a bit of detail including profession and how to write the above mentioned macros.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7593620045

Hero was popped the beginning so that's when i popped my CDS, I was only able to use my CDS twice this fight, since we killed it off before hand

How did you die? You pull off the tank? If so give your tank 2 extra seconds and then burst, or if you have a hunter symbiosis/ misdirect.

Going back to DoTs I want to ask, are you overwritting your eclipsed DoTs everytime you go into another Eclipse? If so thats a big NO NO. You need to make sure your not overwritting an older DoT unless its under 2 seconds. Those DoTs take a snapshot of when you apply them and stay that way until it falls off or gets overwritten. So dont mess with them unless they are close to falling off. If your overwritting your DoTs could be the reason why you feel weak.
You died (during Heroism, no less) and you're still solidly in the middle of the pack. Not sure what your concern is. So, maybe... don't die next time? :P

i'll try not to next time! i guess i'm just paranoid because compared to the other classes in my raid, that my dps could be always improved.

02/05/2013 05:21 PMPosted by Skyotter
However I dont see you use the word macro once. IDK if you imply you have them or dont use them at all. That is something I highly recommend doing if you dont have them already.

I usually don't use macros. since my NS+HT macro always screws up so I just manually pressed all the buttons myself =x tho i'll check out the macros and give it a shot.

How did you die? You pull off the tank? If so give your tank 2 extra seconds and then burst, or if you have a hunter symbiosis/ misdirect.

Um if i remember correctly it was during Arcane Velocity, near the end of Feng's channel we were running out and i was unfortunate enough to be inbetween two hunters who had Arcane Resonance while running out.

02/05/2013 05:21 PMPosted by Skyotter
Going back to DoTs I want to ask, are you overwritting your eclipsed DoTs everytime you go into another Eclipse?

no, i only overwrite the uneclipsed dot when i hit their eclipse. I do think i have a habit of clipping them a bit early tho. especially when multidotting fights, so i'll keep an eye out for that.

thanks all for the great information!
02/06/2013 01:58 PMPosted by Lafanel
no, i only overwrite the uneclipsed dot when i hit their eclipse. I do think i have a habit of clipping them a bit early tho. especially when multidotting fights, so i'll keep an eye out for that

This is not required at all. Unless you can reliably transition from one eclipse to another before that eclipsed dot falls off, you are going to lose dps either by reapplying the dot before the next eclipse state (losing a gcd) or by not reapplying (losing dps via dot uptime), Instead, it's better to refresh dots only when they are about to fall off except in the following case - you have NG and your dots will fall off before the next eclipse (when you will have NG again); in this case, you can reapply.

An eclipsed dot at our current mastery levels will gain around 20-25% extra damage. So, if your uneclipsed dot will tick for 2-3 times while in that eclipse, you will lose roughly (ignoring trinket procs and taking 25% mastery) 4-6k damage. The benefit of this is you will have to reapply this dot later since you will again let it run through to its full duration.
The other advantage is your dots will now benefit fully from criticals extending them rather than losing those extended durations simply because of reapplication when we reach eclipse.

The above is what I learned from a video somebody linked to in this forum - more experienced druids can confirm if this is correct or not. It's definitely easier to manage when I tried this out in last week's raid.

Also, when you die mid-fight, ask for rebuffs once you are up :)
Maybe its a WoL glitch but I don't see you having the 10% SP buff after you came up.
02/06/2013 01:58 PMPosted by Lafanel
I usually don't use macros. since my NS+HT macro always screws up so I just manually pressed all the buttons myself =x tho i'll check out the macros and give it a shot.

Macros help especially in your DPS rotation. I have the macros in my thread I posted check em out!