At what point dostats matter?

Paladin
So I am fixing to start a pally and was wondering at what level do the secondary stats start to matter. I am wondering because i was going to go ret/prot for quick ques in LFD but didnt know how long it would be till needed to keep two different sets of gear.
You don't even get much choice until 80+. And, realistically, at this point you barely even need two sets of gear at maximum level. Both specs favor the same stats (hit/expertise/haste/mastery). The main difference is that Prot needs more expertise than Ret and crit is worthless for Prot while still okay for Ret.
I tank a random heroic every day in my full normal ret gear with a 0/2 horseman's sinister slicer and 1/1 crafted shield. Expertise isn't quite high enough, and there's a lot of crit, but outside of actual raiding it just does not matter.

Unless they significantly change prot for 5.2 so that haste isn't as good (ie; they specifically nerf haste rather than somehow increasing the value of dodge and parry), then it will still be fine going forward.
Really besides a sword and board you won't need to keep different gear sets at all until 80+ unless you really want to min/max while you're leveling.

02/03/2013 04:51 PMPosted by Keten
Both specs favor the same stats (hit/expertise/haste/mastery).

I wouldn't advise people at the moment to go after Haste for Prot since Blizzard has stated their intention to somehow nerf that for Prot.
02/03/2013 05:06 PMPosted by Cadenbrie
I wouldn't advise people at the moment to go after Haste for Prot since Blizzard has stated their intention to somehow nerf that for Prot.

It's true for the moment, though. I wouldn't worry about that too much until an official change is announced.
I wouldn't worry too much about stats till you get past 80-85. I have seen people in healer gear tanking without issue when leveling my alts.