Paladins aren't fun anymore, tell my why...

Paladin
So, I have an 89 Paladin that's literally like 2 bars from 90. He's been there for like 2 months and I just can't muster up the want to level him or even care for that matter.

I don't know why, but being a Paladin just isn't fun for me anymore. I know they're strong healers, Ret is somewhat lacking and tanking is alright, but come on...am I the only one who doesn't find the class fun anymore?

I just want to know if anyone else is experiencing this and what has changed since Cata?

/rant
Normally I'd say you wouldn't find many sympathizers telling you to leave a class in that's classes forums............but who am I kidding these are the Paladin forums.

Until you're max level and actually get your character properly taken care of you really can't judge it fully.

But if you're not having fun then move on, simple as that.
Because leveling isn't fun.
Well. My first toon back in late BC was a paladin I played as ret or prot depending on what was needed. Even in BC with all the problems it had I had fun with it. Loved the changes in Wrath and played that toon up until Cata when they were redesigned again. Played Cata for a couple months and stopped playing what had been my main for two years.

I hate holy power. I dont like combo points and while HoPo generation is smoother now than during Cata, I still dont like it. If paladins had a combo points system back in 08 I wouldnt have picked it. I hate Inquisition. Its not a skill check. Its just annoying. Using NeedToKnow its simple to keep it up during instances but it sucks to blow 3 HoPo just for a buff, then have to build up 3 more to do something fun. Its also not fun leveling. By the time you get Inquisition up the mob is dead then its a wild run to pull as many mobs before it drops off again.

Another thing, and this is subjective and hard to qualify, but Paladins dont feel like paladins anymore. We lost auras. I miss our old Judgements. I dunno, hard to explain but I just feel like a gimped warrior when I play my ret.

You know though, I kind of miss playing my ret. I put a lot of hours in on him but when I try to pick him up again Im just disappointed. I think what gets me is pre-Cata no one playing paladin wanted a major redesign. Tweaks were expected but the HoPo stuff seemed more of the devs saying, "We dont like the way you play and we dont care if your having fun. We can change it because its not your toon." I think thats also one thing thats keeping me from being attached to any class in WoW anymore is knowing Blizz will probably pull the rug out from under you at some point.
02/06/2013 05:53 PMPosted by Cynwal
pre-Cata no one playing paladin wanted a major redesign

I did. Face-rolling was not fun.
I think what gets me is pre-Cata no one playing paladin wanted a major redesign.

Lots of people did, most players became quite unhappy with the stigma Paladins developed during Wrath.

Cata was our rework and our period of growing pains and now we are stable and enjoyable for the most part.

If you can't deal with changes and if you can't adapt to things then you probably shouldn't play an MMORPG because nothing will ever stay the same forever.

Another thing, and this is subjective and hard to qualify, but Paladins dont feel like paladins anymore.

This I will grant you to an extent. I think Paladins still feel like Paladins and we have some amazing "Paladin-y" spells these days to show off but over the years we have lost some off our basic and old timey flavor.
I think what gets me is pre-Cata no one playing paladin wanted a major redesign.

I love it when bad Ret pallies speak for the class, I really do.

Holy had terrible AoE healing and was pigeonholed into one specific role. Prot was certainly capable, but there was a mechanistic rotation that didn't lend itself to any real variation. Both were improved by the changes in Cataclysm.

I love it when bad Ret pallies speak for the class, I really do.

Holy had terrible AoE healing and was pigeonholed into one specific role. Prot was certainly capable, but there was a mechanistic rotation that didn't lend itself to any real variation. Both were improved by the changes in Cataclysm.

Oh Im sorry, Im a bad ret because I have a different opinion. Excuse me Sir Awesome, tell me what the correct opinion is.

And as for MMOs not being for me, its funny because I play different MMOs and none go through the major class reworks like WoW does.

Ya know, Im fine if you dont agree with me. We're all adults and people are different but its getting damned tiring when someone just drops an insult with no knowledge of how someone plays.
I still find my Paladin fun.

Lots of fun even.
02/06/2013 04:22 PMPosted by Cayse
Because leveling isn't fun.

Subjective, just like the title of this thread.

I agree that Paladins are looking and feeling less and less paladin-y as the game gets older.
Oh Im sorry, Im a bad ret because I have a different opinion. Excuse me Sir Awesome, tell me what the correct opinion is.

You don't see any level of hypocrisy in saying that right after saying that "pre-Cata no one playing paladin wanted a major redesign"? Plenty of paladins did want a redesign, or were thankful when it happened.

It's purely anecdotal, but the paladins who do seem to want to go back to a Wrath-esque Pally seem to overwhelming talk about Ret. And they tend to want to make things easier.
Paladins are still fun.

Holy Paladins can actually raid heal now. Holy Power puts a nice spin on healing compared to how it was in Wrath. It's not the same by any means, but change isn't always a bad thing.

Ret Paladins have a very fluid rotation. Although Divine Purpose makes you rely entirely too much on RNG, I think it's a pretty fun talent. I've had it proc 6 or 7 times in a row. That's an extremely good sequence of damage or healing in those 6 or 7 globals. As for PvP, it definitely has its ups and downs. Someone in an earlier thread said we were 'medics with a shotgun', I really like that description. It's a lot different than your regular old take on a melee class. Sure, I love playing my Warrior and FDK, but playing my Ret is always refreshing, just because it's a different experience. Ret in Wrath was a lot less unique, even if it was considered OP back then. As far as the support area of the Ret spec goes, I dig it. I mean, our damage isn't very good outside of CDs, but we're able to wear the enemy player down and then burst them to death, which is a neat concept. It just takes practice. I used to blow all of my CDs the second I engaged into a fight, be it WPvP, Arena, BG, duel, whatever, but I realized that our abilities allow us to wear the enemy down until it's time to burst.

We could use some peels and our survivability could use some work, but hopefully they're looking into that.

I haven't played Prot in years, but I hear it's still a pretty fun spec. I used to love it in Wrath, but I just lost the feel for tanking. I don't enjoy it anymore.

All-in-all, Paladins are still fun. This, of course, is just MY opinion. The gear is what makes me feel like we're losing our Paladin feel. The new Paladin gear, especially 5.2 PvP gear, makes me think more of Paladins in Diablo than the Paladins from WoW.

Aside from that, I love my Paladin. Ret and Holy are both giving me a lot of entertainment right now.

If you don't enjoy your Paladin, don't get it to 90. Simple as that.

EDIT:

To take my point further as far as Ret goes, I am beginning to understand how gear dependent it is, both PvP and PvE. My Warlock was dominating right when I hit 90, but my Paladin has taken a little longer. You can't expect to do well as a Ret Paladin at 89-90, because those levels are rough. Survivability is very low and damage is a joke once you first ding. I am finally starting to see some decent numbers, on DPS charts and in PvP. It's a lot of fun, just takes time and effort.
For me personally ( and this is my own opinion) its not that i dont think playing a Paly is fun to me it is, its what made me feel unique about playing the role is pretty much gone from what it was before, yes i still have the name and i look like a holy knight.
But before every-time i went into a raid or group or whatever i had auras i could use, different hands i could use, different judgments i could use, when i went into a raid i gave sanctuary and devotion aura no one else could bring that to the table. In addition i could spec the trees in a way that if i wanted to i could MT but i could also be a dps OT or a heal OT. I cant do that now yea we have battle healer but that pales by comparison what we could do with the seals judgments and hands also We could do a lot of things to the relm like crusaders aura so if i wanted to take a guildie across the land and show him everything in a heart beat i could
Now yea i have my own unique spells and they work fine and i can do everything anyone else can do tank dps etc but thats just it i can do everything anyone else can, and maybe that is a good thing? but sorry I have really never felt that and i am glad they brought bubble hearth back even though we know glyph it and i am glad we have a few unique spells like GOTAK but again that pertains only to us not to the whole group and i think thats whats missing what we could bring to the table that was unique to the group is very diminished, example i love and hate looking at warlocks bringing summoning portals and gates, and going why cant i have something back that neat that helps the whole raid. I know on the flip side some will say you remember the long waits that took place making sure everyone had there own auras etc up, and i think yes i do but for me thats what made it cool, again this is just my own opinion.
I had so much fun on my ret last expansion, I just don't know if I want to lvl it right now after all those changes. I leveled a Monk and Warrior at the start of this expansion, took a 3 month break, and now all I want to do is play my ret like it used to be.

QQ
I had so much fun on my ret last expansion, I just don't know if I want to lvl it right now after all those changes. I leveled a Monk and Warrior at the start of this expansion, took a 3 month break, and now all I want to do is play my ret like it used to be.

QQ

It's practically the same..
The only difference is we have more holy power.. The healing is getting buffed in 5.2.. It's the same damn thing.
02/07/2013 04:13 PMPosted by Solvexx
The only difference is we have more holy power..

We also generate it faster, now.
Cynwal,

In my list of toons I too have a Paladin. He was one of my 2 original characters when I first started before BC. They definitely were fun then. Then they changed <cough, nerf'd> them and I took a break Wraith came out they got fun again and then the Nerf ball came out again so I stop, but with all that being said personally I would delete him if it wasn't for the time I've put in. They feel weak, play weak, and take for ever to do anything. Like you said it just doesn't feel like a Paladin anymore!
I find it fun. Well, I play not to top the charts. If you want to be number one on the charts, you won't find it entertaining.

Mages and hunters will outdo you in DPS and priests certainly overtake you in heals.
I'm no pro anyway, just having fun.
the holy power crap sucks, but pallys still fun... not having auras sucks, but pallys are still fun...
02/08/2013 01:01 PMPosted by Spàz
the holy power crap sucks, but pallys still fun... not having auras sucks, but pallys are still fun...

Prot is amazingly fun. So is holy. Can't speak fo ret since I rarely play it.

I'm going to address a couple things here:

1. Auras - They already sucked and did pretty much nothing. Devotion Aura that we have now as a raid cooldown seems MUCH more powerful and fun. It actually DOES SOMETHING. 2% more damage reduction from armour, or a 150 hit on a melee swing, did crap.

2. Holy Power - makes the rotation much more dynamic. I love it for prot, and holy.