Mages... are you happy?

Mage
Are you happy with the way mages are right now? Why or why not?

It's dawned on me that I'm really not happy with this game any longer, but I don't know if it's me, the game, or what. Part of me is inclined to think it's the endless cycle of buff and nerfs and the consequent re-learning and adjusting one has to do in order to stay competitive in DPS, along with the "why are you doing this instead of that" type thing. Well, because I always did that? Why should what worked before not work now?

I understand Blizzard does the nerf/buff cycle (to all classes) partially to keep things fresh and entertaining, and I get that. It's great for people who can roll with the changes or, if they really don't like what happened, just play another class as easily as changing a pair of shoes.

It's not like that for me, but again I don't know exactly why. Did they really hit mages hard in Pandaria, making it doubly frustrating, or am I just burning out in general?

Anyway, mages... are you happy? And if you are, what are you doing? I want to be a happy mage again. :\
Well, as a Frost mage who started in MoP I do enjoy the class but at the same time am pissed about how weak it is compared to Fire/Arcane in competitive PvE.
Short answer - no.

Long answer:
1. I have no idea what developers trying to do (or not do) to mages. The sense of direction/future is lost.
2. Our lvl 90 talents are a mockery for a dps class.
3. We are forced to change playstyle mid-expansion in order to stay competitive.
4. We are not heard. We think there are a lot of things wrong with mages, developers aparently don't think so. These forums are used as a vent for most of us, however some already gave up since no one official reads these.

All of the above has been said so many times on these forums. Is there really a need for a separate thread to list them again in details?
With the new Arcane structure mentioned in the 5.2 patch notes it seems as though Fire will now be taking over as top Mage spec... again. I will have to see how this plays out once patch goes live but looking at the numbers it looks like a huge drop. With the stack of Arcane charges now down to only 4 from 6, even with increased buff to 50% from 25% that is 50% less in total from the previous. ( 6 stacks on 25% being 250% where as 4 of 50% only 200%) Also with that slight increase in mana burning the mastery buff will suffer greatly. It's hard enough to keep a good rotation flowing as is, with this increase mana usage keeping ones mana at peak or near peak will be even harder even with Rune down.

I understand that Arcane with Rune was on the verge of OP if played right, for PvE at least, but to outright under cut the spec like this? The battle for spec supremacy in Mages has been on going, but more often than not Fire reins supreme. Arcane is the essence of Magic so let it show it's power more!
I am not.

I don't like the design of the pvp meta game that forces me to do nothing but spam instants, but not only that, but spamming instants is preferred over actually casting. Settiing up casting situations and skillful play isn't rewarded nearly as much as it was back in LK.

Raiding wise I'm not to upset. The 90 talents are a bit of a pain but I like them in a way because they make me think ahead and use some "skill" to maintain as high an uptime on the buff as possible.

I don't mind relarning my class(es) that much, I just wish they though a bit before they buffed and nerfed us. The changes they do to pve drastically effect pvp in ways I don't think they understand (upcoming blazing speed change for example.) and to a lesser extent pvp changes to pve.

Basically I want to go back to actually casting again in pvp with a better kiting toolkit. As a mage you avoid damage, but with all the gap closers and interrupts mages just get trained into the dirt while spamming instant casts.
02/07/2013 12:51 PMPosted by Vyrinn
With the stack of Arcane charges now down to only 4 from 6, even with increased buff to 50% from 25% that is 50% less in total from the previous. ( 6 stacks on 25% being 250% where as 4 of 50% only 200%)

Not to sound to much like a pest, but 6 stacks at 25% is 150%, not 250, meaning we will in fact be gaining damage at maximum stacks. How the mana increase at maximum stacks will effect damage output is not as clear.
02/07/2013 01:08 PMPosted by Tormord
With the stack of Arcane charges now down to only 4 from 6, even with increased buff to 50% from 25% that is 50% less in total from the previous. ( 6 stacks on 25% being 250% where as 4 of 50% only 200%)

Not to sound to much like a pest, but 6 stacks at 25% is 150%, not 250, meaning we will in fact be gaining damage at maximum stacks. How the mana increase at maximum stacks will effect damage output is not as clear.

It means they are definitely trying to force us to clear stacks relatively frequently. So while we will have increased damage at four stacks, we will have more time at reduced damage (lower than four stacks). Hopefully it balances out fine.
I can raid as Frost in heroic modes and not feel like I'm severely hampering my raid. On the contrary I have great burst and mobility (for a mage spec). On the other hand, Fire felt like hot garbage the last time I played it, and will just get OP again in T15 and get another nerf so switching back now that my gear is better is just setting myself up for future disappointment.

Overall a mixed bag. Mage owns though.
It's funny because I come from the opposite end of the spectrum. I AM HAPPY. Let me elaborate.

Started playing again maybe a day before the expansion. I leveled up to 90 in maybe a week or so. Then I tried those level 90 talents. Pretty much gave Blizzard the finger and cancelled right there (took about 3 weeks before the subscription completely ended).

I heard they were cutting the time of Evocation to 3 seconds so I came back. Now it seems like they are making the specs very different. Scorch is no longer a spell everyone gets (which always seemed strange to me) so my level 15 is actually a choice -- although I'm pretty sure I'm going with Presence of Mind. My level 45 will probably stay Ice Barrier, but I like my options there. I'm still a little disappointed with my level 90 options. I don't believe Rune of Power can compete with Invocation in either form and Incanter's Ward is just too situational. Rune of Power and Incanter's Ward both need buffs, but other than that, I'm good.

So that's one reason. I routinely stop playing for awhile (and maybe jump on PTR if the itch hits me) and don't get burned out. Two, if they overnerf my favorite spec or it's not fun, I just quit. Sure, Fire was killing the damage meters a couple months ago but it was utterly painful to use Evocation every 40 seconds... it's still painful and I might not raid until 5.2 releases! Quitting might seem like the ploy of a petulant child, but let's be honest, money talks, bulls*** walks. Given the choice between appeasing some nerd that whines on the forums but still pays their $15 every month and one who doesn't, who do you think Blizzard will try to win over?
I'm not really enjoying my mage or PvE as much as i used too. I mean, the raids have been raid and i feel like they have been designed well with interesting mechanics. Raids look pretty awesome and arn't an eyesore like firelands was to me.

On the flip side i think my mage is very dull to play. Fire has lost its edge so to speak and has become gimmicky in PvP. Frost isn't even fun due to the amount i have to hit my Q button for Icelance, (yes i bound my icelance to Q so when i spam it its like QQ) Arcane has never really spoke to me other than in T5 with the set bonus and when the rotation was ABx3 Frostbolt Missles and Missles on MSD meta proc.

Out of my 5 alts id say i love playing my shadowpriest/warrior/ele the most. With mage its just bleh. Maybe my problem is i mained my mage since bc and really just need to play something else as my main for awhile idk.
02/07/2013 12:42 PMPosted by Breaktheice
Well, as a Frost mage who started in MoP I do enjoy the class but at the same time am pissed about how weak it is compared to Fire/Arcane in competitive PvE.

Fire/Arcane are pissed about how weak we are compared to Frost in competitive PvP.

:c
No. Frankly burned out and the 5.2 news is just making me edge closer to unsubscribing.
For PvP at least they should follow these simple ideas for each spec;

Frost - Control and Survivability, with controlled burst.

Fire - Run and Gun mobility, fast dmg fast paced.

Arcane - They should make this a burst class with decent pvp utility but with how melee are today it is tricky. They really need to rework this in a way that gives it more mobility... like maybe making Arcane Missiles being able to be cast while moving, or Arcane Concentration that lets you cast uninterrupted since many people have that. Even that knock back when mana shield broke was great, having a sort of AoE knock back would be nice, sort of like Thunderstorm... only for each charge you have the farther they get knocked back and the more dmg it does.

Flavor of each spec is important.

PvE?

Frost - I see what they are doing with all the procs and whatnot... but honestly they ruined Frost for PvP, where now it has too much dmg and it's control has to be nerfed. I'm glad they are buffing frostbolt to do a big more dmg, but whack-a-mole isn't a very fun playstyle.

Fire - I like fire PvE, its fun and seeing big ignites and combustion ticks is great. Only problem is that it was too great and combustion had to take a nerf. The spec is very gear reliant with crit and if I remember correctly it took another hit when critical mass was nerfed. Nerf the dmg, but not the playstyle. Getting less crits makes me feel like im playing a BC fire mage.

Arcane - The mana game is very fun, but as with pvp the spec has little mobility, and you can easily get choked up on your dps. Ice floes should help a bit, but with PvP mobility an issue why not use that as an extra excuse to fix Arcane at it's core.
nope. combustion sucks.
02/07/2013 04:04 PMPosted by Jkspiritlink
nope. combustion sucks.
02/07/2013 12:35 PMPosted by Cindyanne
Are you happy with the way mages are right now? Why or why not?

I'm happy with my Mage in PvP .. can't say the same for PvE as they've removed the style of Fire that made it interesting (ie no more Blast Wave, no more Orb, Combustion changes, etc).

I've been doing Arenas and RBGs for just over a month now and loving it. Thought I'd give Arcane a crack since it's considered as the "non-viable" spec and really wanted to put it to the test. A lot of it is self-learning and experimentation since there doesn't appear to be many guides about this spec in PvP, and that is fun in itself.

I've managed to get to 1500 rating from pugging low MMRs, and recently found a good team who all want to climb the ladder.. so it's still fairly progressive for me.
02/07/2013 02:55 PMPosted by Machival

Fire/Arcane are pissed about how weak we are compared to Frost in competitive PvP.

:c

Fire can PvP just fine. Frost isn't the auto-win spec for PvP, but in PvE Arcane is autowin on almost all raid fights. Fire despite its nerf will also outperform Frost.
I think this expansion has potential, but atm.. not really. I've pretty much re rolled cause monk is more fun.
If they change combustion to what it was before. Now It's only useful in pvp for the stun, the dmg it's just sad.

And remove deep freeze from fire and give me back blast wave with the old wotlk effect and get rid of that fail of a spell flamestrike it's now.... Then I'd be 100% happy.