Your Developer Interview Druthers

General Discussion
Post Limit:
Prev 1 2 3 4 6 Next
-Systems and pvp(balance especially)
-Video so I can tell if they're lying or not(lol)
-MMO Champion
-1 vs 1
When seeking design insights on new or upcoming content, what developer press interview format do you find most useful?
Poll ended on Feb 20, 2013
02/06/2013 01:55 PMPosted by Oreooze
I don't think they really address the issues that are on the forums. Its more of a PR thang, really.

It's worth pointing out that I'm specifically asking for your feedback because I want to make the developer interviews as effective as possible, and not just about PR. Our PR department does setup interviews between developers and some of the larger press/media publications/sites, but I oversee the fansite interview process and treat it as a very different animal.

I recognize that the audience frequenting fansites is completely different, typically better informed about the latest gameplay news, and prefers more in-depth design discussions.
Why is yet another dev Q&A being held on a third party site? Do you despise your own venue so much?

I'm not talking about dev Q&As. I'm talking about journalists, podcasters, and news/editorial folks sitting down with developers to interview them about World of Warcraft design, and what you think the best interview format and topics are. :)
02/06/2013 03:20 PMPosted by Zarhym
Our PR department does setup interviews between developers and some of the larger press/media publications/sites, but I oversee the fansite interview process and treat it as a very different animal.

silly zarhym, interviews are not animals :P

just kidding, of course :3

but really, text transcrypts are the best... you can read them as fast or as leisurely slow as you'd like to :D

about theming: lore is the one thing I never ever grow tired of reading about :3

• What topics interest you most? (i.e. systems, encounters, lore, content, art, sound, etc.)
  • Why do you prefer the format you voted on?
  • What sites or podcasts are your primary sources of WoW news?
  • What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past?
  • In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions?

1) Systems and encounters
2) I can more easily watch interview video when I am commuting to and from work.
3) mmo-champion and wow.joystiq.com
4) reddit
5) Multiple developers/experts answering questions.
02/06/2013 11:45 AMPosted by Zarhym
What topics interest you most? (i.e. systems, encounters, lore, content, art, sound, etc.)

Systems, encounters and lore. I'd hate to rank any of them though- they're all very important to me as components of an immersive game experience.

Why do you prefer the format you voted on?

Easiest to access and discuss amongst the playerbase. In addition, easiest way to communicate more complicated ideas such as design iteration, math, etc.

What sites or podcasts are your primary sources of WoW news?

MMO-Champion and Wowhead, primarily. I also run a DK IRC theorycraft channel which often acts as a news-hub.

What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past?

Can't really say there have been that many interviews I've found "compelling" as of late. I did like the latest Dev Watercooler by Watcher- does that count as a sort of interview?

In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions?

Lets do a bit of a combination: I'd like to see multiple people ask multiple devs questions about a narrowly defined topic. This means that I'd like to see specific classes/specs/mechanics get allocated time during which a lot of dev attention is paid towards them.
What topics interest you most? (i.e. systems, encounters, lore, content, art, sound, etc.)
Content. That is to say what kind of new content is being planned as well as making current content more enjoyable.

I voted on video because it is all encompassing. Body language tells alot the same way tone in audio tells more than just text. Plus someone can always pull out just the audio if they just wanted that and Im sure someone will print out a transcript from the video.

I cant really endorse any particular site. Im an info sponge that will go anywhere to get news.

What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past?
See above.

In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions?
I prefer a panel of developers. Mostly because there are a variety of questions and I would like the person with the most knowledge on each particular subject to answer rather than having someone with a general overview of everything.
All of the topics are great when the subject is WoW, especially when coming from Blizz :), but my preferred is Systems.
Most of the WoW news I read are on MMO-Champion. I like reading in-depth design interviews, but I prefer videos because read design discussions where there are more than one developer answering (which I like) is, hmm, confusing. Multiple people asking generally makes the dev want to give short answers, so the other people can ask their questions too, and that's why I don't like it. While I like one-on-one discussions, I think multiple Devs answering is great too, because it can show even more PoVs of a same subject.

But anyway, I'm really happy we will see more design interviews! Keep up the good work guys.

1. because i read all the info on MMO champ anyway.
2. MMO Champ
3. None have really been all that compelling imo. They accept the same standoffish, blunt responses we get on the forums, twitter etc. If I were to define a compelling interview it would be one where the subject is squirming and has to answer directly.
4. one on one but the interviewer should take questions directly from a specific source. None of this upvoted the most crap. everypony deserves the right to be heard.
I did not vote. I just get the info wherever it is (as long as I know where it was given).

Systems, content. Though I might read/listen to the rest for an idea on where things are going.

I'll answer both of these questions together. I prefer when the interviewer understands it's not their time to shine, but time for the interviewee (information) to shine. Podcasts are interesting because of how much the people doing them "vibe" off of one another (I feel like Metzen, just need to say "geek out" now and I'll grow facial hair and muscles. Anyway...(No disrespect meant ;P)). This being said, they're kind of "too candid" or seem to be too much in a rush to squeeze ALL the information out of the interviewee(s), that they don't let the information actually get out organically. So I prefer more "serious" podcasts or text/transcripts, I feel I get more information most of the time.

Interviews I enjoyed:
In house: the interviews on youtube w/ Gary Platner and Jesse McCree
Gamebreakertv Legendary interview w/ Greg Street
The Instance w/ Christie Golden, Chris Metzen

As much as I adore all the podcasts/youtubers I listen to, I prefer them for entertainment value/getting their point of view more than for getting information.

I don't mind how many interviewers/interviewees there are, as long as they let each other speak (which is what I was saying earlier).

Edit: Most important thing for me, the fact we don't need to subscribe to a site to have access to the information given (which never seemed to have happened, but throwing it out there). I'd be unhappy.
Video.

That way I have the opportunity to see the lying and deception in their eyes.
Q:What topics interest you most? (i.e. systems, encounters, lore, content, art, sound, etc.)
A: Pet Battles and Art!
Q:Why do you prefer the format you voted on?
A: Podcast / Vlog (like the one I do)
Q:What sites or podcasts are your primary sources of WoW news?
A:MMO-Champ/ WowHead/ Petsofwarcraft.com (my site about Pet Battle news and WowArt).
Q:What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past?
A:DarkMoon Herald and All Things Az.
Q:In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions?
A:One on One

I work hard on my Machinima news about Pet Battles, I'm even planing full on animation for Arashi so that I'm not limited by the character animations that are built in Warcraft.

For a second, I thought it would be cool to animate a Dev!

Thank you Zarhym! I can't wait to hear you soon!

-Arashi
Petsofwarcraft.com

Class and balance changes, content changes.

I greatly prefer text for many reasons--for example, being able to re-read something quickly or to study things like stat and class changes. The written word comes across as more succinct and genuine than video imho.

I get most WoW news from: Wowhead, WoW forums, MMO-champ, Icy-Veins, OpenRaid

Wowhead is usually where I read interviews from developers.

I prefer multiple developers answering questions from multiple people. The devs all have their areas of expertise and their energy feeds off each other resulting in a more comprehensive, fun interview.
What topics interest you most?
--Raids, class balance and lore.

--I find text easier to understand as I can take my time to read and reread as opposed to trying to go backwards in a video but id happily still pay attention to any format.

--MMO-Champ, and i watch ZAM Official podcasts, Devomorph's (lore's) in particular.

--I enjoyed the Q&As (multiple people, multiple devs) but I think really well thought out and explained answers in writing 1 on 1 would suit me most.

Keep up the good work
Thanks Zarhym
Video.

That way I have the opportunity to see the lying and deception in their eyes.

Good thing I'm not a dev... I'd wear sunglasses just to spite you. :)

While listening to Corey Hart in the background of course.

There are a few LONG unanswered questions I'd LOVE to have answered, but sadly the people doing the interviewing NEVER ask the questions. These are more itemization questions that me and several others have always gone "WHY!?!?!?!" but yet none of the big website people will ever ask the questions.

Variety of reasons: Audio AND video... well I have CAPD (wiki that if you don't know what it is). I find it... difficult to concentrate on what someone's saying. I can read MUCH faster than someone can talk and I just process the information better when it is presented as text.

MMO-Champion and the Official Forums.

Meh, they always ask the same questions (and in some cases, questions that were already answered in previous interviews) so eh... sometimes I just wish that WE, the PLAYERS, could ask the questions instead of having some website guy do it that asks stuff that is either ridiculously obvious, or things that have already been asked in the past.

I prefer one question at a time, multiple devs answering one question can be nice, if it is relevant (no reason why a Lore/Quest designer should be answering questions about itemization or boss mechanics for example).

As for people, like I said... we need a "Players ask Questions" thing. Even if it takes several days. Maybe..... 10 questions a day over the period of a week for a total of 70 questions?
I'd love to hear more stuff about lore and content.

One thing I would like to ask, about any Q/A (whether it's interviews like this or player driven ones), please, no more reddit. That site is a giant cluster... It's so hard to navigate and figure out.
I'd love to hear more stuff about lore and content.

One thing I would like to ask, about any Q/A (whether it's interviews like this or player driven ones), please, no more reddit. That site is a giant cluster... It's so hard to navigate and figure out.

^^^
This.

I had to wait until I could find someone who copied/pasted the highlights before I got the news because I hate Reddit and its confusing/messy layout.

I'm interested in lore, systems and more content, the pandaren race needs a druid class.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7710222770?page=1

Human cursed worgen should get Gilneas back and this game needs wild worgen tribes. I would also like to know if developers would create their own multiboxing add-on or an in-game system where you can hire NPCs to aid you while questing and raiding.

I prefer video because I like to watch the development of new content and systems at work.

My primary sources for WoW is Battle.net and Youtube.

None as I haven't bothered to read up about WoW in the past.

I prefer one-on-one.