Something wrong with bloodlust

Shaman
It makes no sense. Why it says I cannot use it again for 10 minutes when the recast is 5 minutes?

Plus I can use the ability with the debuff on.. what if I misclick? -.-
It would be too OP if you could use it every 5 minutes... Just make sure you don't put it next to the abilities you mainly use, so you don't miss click. It's mainly used for Raid encounters so there's no reason for it to be changed to every 5 minutes.
02/07/2013 06:58 PMPosted by Momoka
what if I misclick?

A simple solution to that would be 'not clicking.'
An uncomfortable keybind fixes misclicking. Alt + E does it for me.

The reason BL has a 5 minute CD, and 10 minute debuff is because the ability is designed around a 10 minute CD. When BL/Hero was first introduced in TBC it actually had a 10 minute CD, and a 5 minute sated/exhausted. Also, back then BL/Hero was party-wide. Thus, 25 man raids had to have a shaman in each group (or as spread as possible). In fact, a lot of abilities were party wide, like windfury totem. And additionally 3 minute+ CDs (and wiping sated/exhausted/warp debuff) didn't reset at the end of the fight until MoP (or the pre-patch. Whichever it was).

After awhile Blizzard realized that a 10 minute CD on BL/Hero with 5 minute sated was a bad design for raid progression. The problem was that everyone would wipe, and shamans wouldn't have BL/Hero up again for the next attempt, and thus everyone sat with their thumbs up their butt until the CD reset even though no one had the debuff. So they switched the CD/debuff around. The result was the same for raid encounters. You could still only use it once every 10 minutes saved for brezzed people, but with a 5 minute CD if you wiped it would more than likely be up after you rebuffed, ate, and prepared for the next pull. Additionally it caused easier relusting for people who had to get battle rezzed, and back then there was no brez cap. If you had 15 warlocks you could battle rez 15 people.

In fact, back in vanilla style raiding some of the top world guilds had the requirement of a 60 lock alt (It had to be 60 because back then you had spell ranks). And the reason was so that they could literally soulstone the entire raid.

Eventually they changed the way debuffs/CDs reset at the end of the fight/wipe. So really the debuff could be 5 hours long, or permanent for all it really matters. Also, the debuff prevents you from gaining the buff from casting it. Not prevents you from casting it. The reason for that is so that when you brez someone after you've already cast it you can cast it for just that person.

#Themoreyouknow
I just thought it was really really weird to have a buff spell that does not last long and say you can only get the effect again after 10 minutes but it has a 5 minute recast.

I thought I seen the wait for 10 minutes thing on me even after I died but I really have no idea, I could of been imagining it.

Wait, how is it OP using something every 5 minutes?
On a personal level it's not. That's why we have elemental mastery.

It's a big boost for raid DPS/HPS. The cooldown was designed to be a 10 minute CD. They just reduced the actual CD of it so you could typically use it again partway through the fight if someone died, or was out of range for the first one. And since Blizzard doesn't want you chaining lusts one after the other they have to keep the debuff in the game to prevent that.

02/09/2013 07:07 AMPosted by Momoka
I just thought it was really really weird to have a buff spell that does not last long and say you can only get the effect again after 10 minutes but it has a 5 minute recast.

It is a bit weird, but now you know why it's like that. It's designed to be a 10 minute CD so they kept it that way when they flipped the CD/debuff duration.
02/07/2013 09:24 PMPosted by Varlth
When BL/Hero was first introduced in TBC it actually had a 10 minute CD, and a 5 minute sated/exhausted.

nope nope nope
When Blood Lust was first introduced it was a group only buff that does the same effect today with no debuff. It was often a shaman was put in the group of the best DPS or you'd rotate shaman through the group of the best DPS giving them a huge amount of uptime on blood lust.
This was a problem in WotLK when blizzard decided they wanted a bring the player not the class but since only shaman had lust it was decided to give it a 5 minute debuff along with it's 10 minute CD but make it raid wide. In 3.1 the CDs were swapped giving Sated 10 minute debuff and Lust have a 5 minute CD to prevent "having to bring two shaman for both lusts" on fights longer than 5 minutes.

That's how it came to be.
well... the debuff clears on death, if you have people die and get ressed in an attempt, you can pop it again for them once the 5min CD is off....

Only beneficial thing i can think of for ti having 5min CD and not 10
02/07/2013 09:24 PMPosted by Varlth
When BL/Hero was first introduced in TBC it actually had a 10 minute CD, and a 5 minute sated/exhausted.

Bloodlust was in vanilla, and it originally had no debuff and a short cd. The debuff and cd came about to stop people from stacking shaman to have 100% BL uptime.

damn! i forgot it used to be group only too! sure has been a long time.
Ok, I looked into Bloodlust and it looks like I was wrong about sated. I guess that just got gargled up with the CD swapping.

However...

Bloodlust was in vanilla, and it originally had no debuff and a short cd. The debuff and cd came about to stop people from stacking shaman to have 100% BL uptime.

Bloodlust was not in vanilla. It was a level 70 ability. It was the ZOMGAWESOMESAUCE ability for shamans.

Orcs have blood fury, but no one had bloodlust till 70.
There was a Bloodlust in vanilla alpha or something but it was removed. Bloodlust was partywide in BC and didn't apply Sated until WotLK when it was raidwide. It did have a cooldown in BC though.