The profession that died......

Professions
The once loved and well used profession Alchemy, has long since died even in end game. The reason i state this is because in tradechat how often do you see someone post LF Alchemist. Personally myself i NEVER see it. sure we make flasks and occasionally Transmute extra pots or Gems for players but overall it has no Flare. Even Engineering is picking up in popularity. When will Alchemy get its Flare blizz?
I made about 2500 off alchemy yesterday. I've already sold two living steel today. I have four alchemists and I find it worth it. It's also a great raiding profession thanks to double duration flasks.

No one who makes a profit from their professions works in trade chat.
Why do you sell in lots of five and not four? Four is what it takes to get through the average raid night for most raiders. I'd much rather pay a gold more per flask and not have to buy a flask that I didn't need.
02/09/2013 08:15 AMPosted by Zhaeynn
Even Engineering is picking up in popularity.

What? Engineering was "popular" for the first month of the expansion. That's it.

02/09/2013 01:44 PMPosted by Higeki
Why do you sell in lots of five and not four? Four is what it takes to get through the average raid night for most raiders. I'd much rather pay a gold more per flask and not have to buy a flask that I didn't need.

Maybe you'll raid the week after too?
Golden lotus dropped so low price wise ive been selling flasks. Easy money right now. We will see if GL go back up again.
At $100g a flask and each raider buying ~3-5 a week, SOMEONE out there is getting 3000g+ per raiding guild.
I was just wondering which is more profittable, transmute or elixer?
02/10/2013 12:24 PMPosted by Atraos

Transmute because you're proccing more valuable items, even if not living steel. That being said, everyone is transmute.
Elixir is the most profitable transmute specialty. Transmute spec doesn't proc nearly as much as you'd like. When it does the margins are undeniably nice, but it is too unreliable.
02/09/2013 09:26 AMPosted by Higeki
No one who makes a profit from their professions works in trade chat.
^This. If you don't know how to make gold with alchemy, switch professions.
That is silly.

Alchemy never really LIVED.

Its as good now as it ever was.

Transmute in THEORY is more profitable; The problem is I've done living steel EVERY DAY and maybe procced TWICE:

Both of those proc times have been x2.

Meanwhile, you have no limitation to the amount of elixirs/flasks you can make per day.

Transmute is just a lazy way to do it; I don't feel like farming/buying whatever to really do elixir mastery right.
wish there was more gimmiky items for alchemy, like how free action potion and other stuff like that used to be great in vanilla..something that breaks a stun or gives 15% silence/stun reduction..some more useful things
02/11/2013 07:38 AMPosted by Fapyourmeat
wish there was more gimmiky items for alchemy, like how free action potion and other stuff like that used to be great in vanilla..something that breaks a stun or gives 15% silence/stun reduction..some more useful things

Shouldn't those old ones still work? Just limited by one potion per combat sequence rule.
that's so encouraging, Higeki! Makes all the farming worth it! herbalist by the way...
Alchemy hasn't changed much since BC and the first implementation of the discovery system. Flasks are provided by the guild alchemist, no need to bother with trade chat or the AH. Potions are pointless except for "progression" guilds and individuals trying to top charts. And pretty much every JC has had a pocket transmuter since epics gems were introduced in WotLK.
My transmuter was my most profitable till cata then my jewelcrafter became best. Now my engineer is most profitable.
02/10/2013 12:24 PMPosted by Atraos

It depends on your server... On my server Elixir was more profitable till people caught up with Raiding..

Now I make a killing on transmuting gems and cutting them myself..

Both take 1) Golden Lotus Average 40G on my server
Transmute takes 1) sub gem Average price 2-3 G
Elixir take 4herbs average 1-3G

Cut gem sells now between 100-225G Uncut 45-90G Cost 40-50G to make
Flask sells now about 45-70G Cost 45-62G to make

In the long run, bulk is better for transmute.. The proc rate isn't that much worst, plus you do get X3 X4 X5 here and there..

I transmute 20 Orange 20 purple 20 jade.. Let's say I get +6-10 gems total, that's if I only get 10-15% proc rate, which is rare.. I usually get 20-25% ... that's already one free diamond that sells between 350G-450 or up to 600-800G cut depending.. But then you also get procs on the making diamonds so @ 10-15% that's another 1 hopefully 2.. So now we are at 2-3 free diamonds at " let's say 350G" that's 700-1050G free min. You would have to have 19 procs out of 60 golden lotus , almost 30% proc rate for something that cost 5-12G more to make. That's a min of 300 gold more @ 5G( which is me being generous, cause herbs sell out for us, so transmute is already 1050-1350G better at a lower proc rate.
Alchemy has become my favorite profession, ahead of even tailoring for gold making now.

I've now got 4 transmute masters making Living Steel ever day (up from Ghost Iron bars, because the Trillium frequently procs more too and over time transmuting is creating a crazy amount of extra profit), I'm going to embark on leveling Alchemy on 2 more of my characters as well for the same.

So, alchemy is far from dead from my perspective. It's very much alive and well.