Friendship Is Magic #6

Movies, TV and Entertainment
Prev 1 16 17 18 26 Next
Just now my mom came in and told me that she received an email from her dad asking about the conundrum regarding how so many young men are interested in MLP, and then asked me since I was a young man about it. I personally just gave a half-assed excuse saying that since he was a sociologist he should figure it out. But unfortunately for me she now knows I've watched some of it before. So idk. What would you have said in response to that email?
Just now my mom came in and told me that she received an email from her dad asking about the conundrum regarding how so many young men are interested in MLP, and then asked me since I was a young man about it. I personally just gave a half-assed excuse saying that since he was a sociologist he should figure it out. But unfortunately for me she now knows I've watched some of it before. So idk. What would you have said in response to that email?

It's a show made for everybody. So that the whole family can sit down and watch it.

Granted season 3 had its stupid moments. The show still took itself oddly seriously in terms of their younger viewers. Sure there's sappy life lessons but the show never came off all "HAPPY HAPPY" like Care Bears. The characters get into fights, both verbal and physical. Each character is sort of a hypocrite of themselves. Like when Applejack sometimes actually lies even though she's supposed to be honest.

And people seriously are ignoring that THERE ARE OLDER GIRL FANS. Seriously! It's ridiculous how ignored they are. Nobody gives a crap though because "OHMERGERD MENS DOING SOMETHING NOT MANLY" Blah. Rant for another time.
And people seriously are ignoring that THERE ARE OLDER GIRL FANS. Seriously! It's ridiculous how ignored they are. Nobody gives a crap though because "OHMERGERD MENS DOING SOMETHING NOT MANLY" Blah. Rant for another time.
Actually the email also mentioned older girls watching it. Taken from the email its specific words were Title: "I Don't Understand! Help Me!" Message: "Why in the world would young men watch - and get involved in - "Brony" or "Pegasister?" Am I so old that I am completely unaware of a new reality? Help me with this, because I am completely baffled!

Dad"

So yeah he didn't forget about you but the "young men" part is kind of where I came in to answer the question, which is what brought up this conundrum.

It's a show made for everybody. So that the whole family can sit down and watch it.

Granted season 3 had its stupid moments. The show still took itself oddly seriously in terms of their younger viewers. Sure there's sappy life lessons but the show never came off all "HAPPY HAPPY" like Care Bears. The characters get into fights, both verbal and physical. Each character is sort of a hypocrite of themselves. Like when Applejack sometimes actually lies even though she's supposed to be honest.
No offense but it really doesn't seem to be like that. It's not like a soap opera that everyone can sit down and watch together and then wonder about why Applejack did this or that. Granted, while I watched it, the majority of the time I watched it was by myself. I think it'd feel a bit awkward for other people to watch it with me. I mean it's one thing to talk with other like minded people who've watched it before but I don't think it really qualifies as a family driven show.
What would you have said in response to that email?
Probably pretty negatively. I tend not to react to well to people concerning themselves with what other people do. That's just me though, honestly.
04/10/2013 06:53 PMPosted by Defiasbandït
What would you have said in response to that email?
Probably pretty negatively. I tend not to react to well to people concerning themselves with what other people do. That's just me though, honestly.
lol i guess you don't like sociologists then.
I really don't. *Shrug*, I personally just choose to be anti social anyway, so studies on society never interested me anyway. Sociologists, at least to me, always seem to try and force their knowledge down on people who don't care either way.
No offense but it really doesn't seem to be like that. It's not like a soap opera that everyone can sit down and watch together and then wonder about why Applejack did this or that. Granted, while I watched it, the majority of the time I watched it was by myself. I think it'd feel a bit awkward for other people to watch it with me. I mean it's one thing to talk with other like minded people who've watched it before but I don't think it really qualifies as a family driven show.

Not everybody. I just meant a family. So that the parents won't feel too horrendously bored watching it with their kids if they had to.
04/10/2013 10:11 PMPosted by Rosenivy

Not everybody. I just meant a family. So that the parents won't feel too horrendously bored watching it with their kids if they had to.
K that makes sense but then it doesn't explain why so many bronies would be interested in the show, and that there are probably more adult viewers than child viewers for the show.
K that makes sense but then it doesn't explain why so many bronies would be interested in the show, and that there are probably more adult viewers than child viewers for the show.

The characters are fun. Also the show brings nostalgia to me. It just reminds me of saturday mornings as a kid. Where you'd wake up and get a big a big bowl of sugary cereal.

The show could also be used as a stress relief. I know real life exists and you can't fully escape from it forever. But I think it's nice to shut the world off for 20 minutes and just see this bright and colorful peaceful ( somewhat ) world.

I think a lot of the more fanatic fans just saw "Hey here's this popular show!" and wanted to feel accepted in a group of people. That's why some fans get super defensive about the show or fanbase. Someone who feels accepted for once can react very strongly to protect that accepted feeling.

I date one, or well, someone studying to be one.

He also likes ponies.
Great post Wrengot!
I feel like this is something worth sharing.

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2013/101/0/0/stormrage__he_s_a_pony_again__by_0riane0-d61am6j.png

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2013/101/0/0/stormrage__he_s_a_pony_again__by_0riane0-d61am6j.png
Awesome.

Awesome.
I agree, been so busy getting ready to go out of town forgot to comment on it yesterday.
Yeah so if you guys have been keeping up on my situation, I've recently told my mom about MLP and she's learned that it's become such a big thing on the internet that people actually call it MLP. So she's decided to watch some of it to see what the hype is about it. Now she's taped a few episodes of them but I'm not so sure if she'd actually like the ones she's taped. If you could pick out two of the episodes in the entire series if you were introducing the show to someone else which two episodes would you choose?
Yeah so if you guys have been keeping up on my situation, I've recently told my mom about MLP and she's learned that it's become such a big thing on the internet that people actually call it MLP. So she's decided to watch some of it to see what the hype is about it. Now she's taped a few episodes of them but I'm not so sure if she'd actually like the ones she's taped. If you could pick out two of the episodes in the entire series if you were introducing the show to someone else which two episodes would you choose?
Either Magic duel and Sleepless in Ponyville, or Wonderbolts Academy and Keep calm and Flutter on.
New iPod update! The wedding & Canterlot! Yay!
Caaaaaaaitie

I made a new Rammstein topic if you want to see

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8568399577
04/15/2013 03:32 AMPosted by Defiasbandït
Either Magic duel and Sleepless in Ponyville, or Wonderbolts Academy and Keep calm and Flutter on.
Really? I personally didn't like Season three as much as seasons one and two. Keep calm and Flutter on was on her tivo but I deleted because I didn't like it. I personally don't like Discord, he's not really a cool character. He made an ok villain but he kind of sucks as a character.