What is the point...

Moon Guard
...at which you figure your time would be better spent farming items or doing dailies than RPing? I'm asking out of curiosity, mostly after a very painful experience in Orgrimmar on my orc. Is there any way you could suggest to try and help the whole unwinding and relaxing process?

I'd hate to shy away from RP altogether, but man, sometimes it gets to the point where it's a lost cause to keep doing the orc thing. Perhaps it's just me, but I'm having a hard time feeling really proud of the orcs. Is it just the state of player opinion of Garrosh and all that is going on?
Roll human or blood elf, instantly receive more rp.
Can you elaborate on the experience? Is it just that you can't find RP centered around Orcs or you're not happy with the perception of Orcs?
02/10/2013 03:11 PMPosted by Grev
Can you elaborate on the experience? Is it just that you can't find RP centered around Orcs or you're not happy with the perception of Orcs?

To clarify, I suppose it's RP centered around the 'typical' of warrior societies. Storytelling, games of strength, things that really play off what I have been lead to believe by the books and stuff to be business as usual for orcs.

And, at the risk of sounding 'boorish' or like a brute... You know, the Viking or Conan-esque style characters.
02/10/2013 02:56 PMPosted by Boregash
Is it just the state of player opinion of Garrosh and all that is going on?
This is a huge part of it.

There's no outlett for the rebellion horde yet. So there's gonna be a lot of stagnation for anyone who's RP perspective is not so approving of Garrosh.
There's no outlett for the rebellion horde yet. So there's gonna be a lot of stagnation for anyone who's RP perspective is not so approving of Garrosh.

And I assume that goes for those that also play on the neutral in regards to Garrosh and the Rebellion Horde. Seeing it as their job to fight and following the orcish pragmatism thing.
02/10/2013 03:16 PMPosted by Boregash
You know, the Viking or Conan-esque style characters.
Alas, not much room for Warrior Poets in the current climate of "Serve or die"

Since Enlightenment seems to run contrary to blind servitude.
Woud would have loved <Of the Undying Lok'tra>, OP. It's a real shame that they're not around anymore. They were essentially a group of warrior-poets.
Woud would have loved <Of the Undying Lok'tra>, OP. It's a real shame that they're not around anymore. They were essentially a group of warrior-poets.
Huh? Where'd they go?
Huh? Where'd they go?

Obscurity, I believe.
02/10/2013 03:42 PMPosted by Vulonorok
You know, the Viking or Conan-esque style characters.
Alas, not much room for Warrior Poets in the current climate of "Serve or die"

Since Enlightenment seems to run contrary to blind servitude.
You know the thing about warrior poets is that those in authority never really liked them. If we look at a lot of famous warrior poets in literature, they are always getting into trouble because they don't toe the serve or die line. But that is part of what makes them compelling.

I know I was just making a joke about this saga the other day, but if you want to read something about a Viking warrior poet, I recommend Egil's Saga. The nice thing about Icelandic sagas is that they remain very readable even for modern audiences. Those Icelanders knew how to get to the point.

Egil was the kind of Viking who made other Vikings nervous. They would shake their heads and say, "Man, that guy is too crazy." His life was defined by his conflict against various Norwegian kings who tried to exert authority both over him and his family. Egil let himself be guided by two powerful influences: his bad temper and his poetry.

So, if you are playing a warrior poet and you get blowback, just know that you are part of a grand tradition! If you want to know how the Vikings handled warrior poets, read Egil's Saga and get some ideas.

Info on translations:
If you do decide to read Egil's Saga (sometimes Egils Saga) and you don't read the Old Icelandic, I recommend Bernard Scudder's translation which you can find in The Sagas of the Icelanders by Penguin. It is a fat softcover, and doesn't actually have all the sagas but it does have some good ones for a good price.

Two other good ones are Gwynn Jones's version and Christine Fell's. Fell tries to capture the feeling of the original poetry in her translation.
I wouldn't go with the Rev. W. C. Green version that you see available for the Kindle, but if you do decide that you don't want to spend anything, you can find the same version here:
http://sagadb.org/egils_saga.en

It was translated in the 19th century and it reads a bit more flowery than the original saga did.
If I were you I would make a trial account and multibox. That way you can hang around Orgimmar doing random RP while you do your dailies!!!

When in doubt just remember: making tough decisions is -so- last decade.
When in doubt just remember: making tough decisions is -so- last decade.

/firstworldproblems?
My own Orc's stalled in RP, too. I know how that feels. :( I think he would've fit right in with Undying Lok'tra if they didn't disappear into the Void. The 5.1 storyline firmly turned him against Garrosh.

Gonna wait to see what 5.2 holds before I decide what to do with him. IC, I guess he's just mostly chilling out in Frostwolf Keep in Alterac figuring out what he and his clan do next.
My own Orc's stalled in RP, too. I know how that feels. :( I think he would've fit right in with Undying Lok'tra if they didn't disappear into the Void. The 5.1 storyline firmly turned him against Garrosh.

Gonna wait to see what 5.2 holds before I decide what to do with him. IC, I guess he's just mostly chilling out in Frostwolf Keep in Alterac figuring out what he and his clan do next.

It's really a shame. I never really roleplayed an orc, but I always enjoyed seeing the poems and stuff that they wrote up on the forums.
So, if you are playing a warrior poet and you get blowback, just know that you are part of a grand tradition! If you want to know how the Vikings handled warrior poets, read Egil's Saga and get some ideas.

It's not so much the blowback as it is the lack therof. What blowback I -do- get is passive-aggressive comments, rather than actual outbursts or any sort of useful response. People have literally swept the thing that in my mind makes an orc an orc under the rug. You're not allowed to have any sort of honor, to honor any sort of oaths. It's literally as though the Horde is trying to phase out what makes it's founding race so amazing.

Of course, that might very well be for the fact that, at the moment, 'honor' is a very fluid thing. We're running into the civilized western version of honor vs. the wild version of honor. Or maybe it's more eastern definition... Whatever the case may be, it has been suggested that the definition that best fit the viking/mongol 'honor' is hard to get into the mindset of.
02/10/2013 05:07 PMPosted by Boregash

It's not so much the blowback as it is the lack therof. What blowback I -do- get is passive-aggressive comments, rather than actual outbursts or any sort of useful response. People have literally swept the thing that in my mind makes an orc an orc under the rug. You're not allowed to have any sort of honor, to honor any sort of oaths. It's literally as though the Horde is trying to phase out what makes it's founding race so amazing.

Of course, that might very well be for the fact that, at the moment, 'honor' is a very fluid thing. We're running into the civilized western version of honor vs. the wild version of honor. Or maybe it's more eastern definition... Whatever the case may be, it has been suggested that the definition that best fit the viking/mongol 'honor' is hard to get into the mindset of.

To be fair, vikings are generally Norse, and the Nordic stories certainly fit into the 'West'.
02/10/2013 05:07 PMPosted by Boregash

It's true that most people don't understand what the Vikings or Mongols were about. That's why I would suggest reading Egils Saga. It is one of the closest things we have to Viking lit.
http://youtu.be/LgGIOZiVCVU

A song about that story. You won't understand a word of it, of course. But yeah.
http://youtu.be/LgGIOZiVCVU

A song about that story. You won't understand a word of it, of course. But yeah.

It's still pretty enjoyable. The crowd seems to be in some hypnotic trance.