Background Downloading?

Mac Technical Support
Hi,

I play WoW using an ISP that gives me very limited data usage (6gb/month)

Is there any way I can disable background downloading for patches?
When a patch comes out I can take my computer to the office and update my client there, so that I am not blowing through data downloading patches. This used to be an option somewhere but I can no longer seem to find it.

Also, is there any approximation as to how much data is used per hour while connected to WoW?

Thanks in advance!
You could try turning off the "Allow quick play regardless of network speed" option as well as the "Enable Peer to Peer Transfer" option in the Downloader preferences in the Options menu of the launcher (in menubar at top of the screen)

Unfortunately the options you speak of Download during and Download after playing wow are gone.

There are however key values in a few key agent.db files that seem to suggest you can manually force it to stop downloading :

"patch_application_complete" : true,
"download_complete" : true,
"background_download_available" : true,
"background_download_complete" : true,

found in :

/World of Warcraft/.agent.db

(hidden and invisible IIRC)

/Users/Shared/Battle.net/Agent/agent.db

Disclaimer : I have not had to play around with those values since the MoP beta IIRC. Make back up copies of every thing you play with (wow folder & agent.db files) before attempting to hack around in those files.

Again I am not sure which values you need to change (there are several instances of those values) so any experimenting will have to be done with appropriate backups. The agent.db is also used for other programs on your hard drive so make sure any values you are changing aren't for say D3 or the PTR for Wow or D3 (there will be Curly brackets denoting which games each set of values pertain to)
Thanks,

When I open my WoW Launcher on my Mac I see no "Options" on the tool bar all I have is Exit, Minimize, and Mute. I can, however, see this "Options" menu on the toolbar on my PC. I have also checked the in game options menu and have seen nothing.

Basically what I am trying to do is manually update my WoW client each time a patch is released.

I upgraded my account to Cataclysm on Sunday, but was playing on the most recent client available. Could this have hiked my data usage for a day? Was there some kind of background download going on? How do I stop it if so?

I played for maybe 6 hours total and used 1.1GB on Sunday, normally I would use around 40mb/hour playing in what I have seen leveling 1-79.

Is Cata just that much more bandwidth intensive?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I live in the country so I am forced to play on Verizon MiFi and so far I only have the 6GB package.
02/12/2013 06:30 AMPosted by Sporkles
When I open my WoW Launcher on my Mac I see no "Options" on the tool bar all I have is Exit, Minimize, and Mute. I can, however, see this "Options" menu on the toolbar on my PC. I have also checked the in game options menu and have seen nothing.

Which is why I mentioned :

(in menubar at top of the screen)

IE Open Launcher. Go up to the menubar at the top of the screen. One of the menus should be "Options"

02/12/2013 06:30 AMPosted by Sporkles
I played for maybe 6 hours total and used 1.1GB on Sunday, normally I would use around 40mb/hour playing in what I have seen leveling 1-79.

The pre-patch download for 5.2 come out over the weekend. That's probably what you were downloading.
Ok,

So there is no way to stop this besides trying to hack my client?

I was totally unaware anything was downloading.
As of yet, there isn't a proper way to stop the background downloader. I'll check with our teams to see if this is truly the case, and provide feedback.
That would be much appreciated.

I understand the need to make things as streamlined and automated as possible but for those with low bandwidth caps (Some DSL/Cable providers even cap at 30GB/month which isn't much especially if you have family members on the web all the time) this really makes WoW unplayable despite the fact that PLAYING the game is only using a low amount of bandwidth, the updates are usually rather large.

When downloading a large file such as a patch I used to simply download the patch from a third party website (Curse) while at the office, put it on a thumb drive, and then take it home and manually update my client without having to download large files with my precious 6gb of data.

Now downloading is simply uncontrollable? May work for some but I can't see myself being the only one who finds this an inconvenience
Interested to see what, If any answer you guys can come up with for me.

I've been doing a little tinkering while watching network activity on the Activity Monitor on my Macbook

When I open the launcher it says "Downloading data for upcoming patch" and my network activity shoots up to around ~5 mbps.

Here is my question: Does it keep downloading that patch data even after you click "Play" and enter the game? Or does patch data ONLY download while launcher window is open?

If this is the case can I either launch wow directly from the program folder, bypassing the launcher or could I shut launcher down immediately whenever I see "Downloading Data" message and take my laptop to a friends house or my office to update?
I got some feedback about this.

From what I've seen this is something that happens at the launcher and the game. Background downloading in the launcher vs in-game are technically 2 different functions.

But from what feedback I got is that we know it’s a sensitive issue for some users and this feature will be added in a future update of our tools to be able to manage. No ETA, but it is something that you will set a preference to in the future.

For the moment, you can see if bypassing the launcher works. The launcher is the trigger that says "Hey is there any new/upcoming data I need to do"? The game should just check to see if it is running the right version. But if it doesn't work that way, then maybe it changed since 4.x.
Thanks,

I appreciate you looking into this and hope that you can pass my predicament along to those in charge of making changes to the client, I think with the spread of mobile broadband to rural areas (like mine) this will become an increasingly popular issue as monthly data usage limits are so low on this kind of set up.

For now I am going to look into setting up "Parental Controls" on my MiFi that cap daily usage so that if I were to run over a certain amount of data in a day it would shut down my internet.

The most challenging thing about avoiding this problem is that it is pretty unclear when the game is actually downloading new content.
Yeah running the game from the folder isn't helping me and I've been getting this lag for a few days now so I'm guessing the download itself is messed up. I'm not sure why but when I hover over the menu is reads "downloading 0%" every time. I hope they fix it soon :C
Yeah it ate through 1gb of my bandwidth this weekend and I was totally unaware anything was downloading. very frustrating
As of this evening WOW is essentially unplayable, after only being stinky recently. Please give the brainchild who thought removing the "Stop background downloading" option was a good idea a new career oportuninty somewhere in North Korea.
02/12/2013 09:05 AMPosted by Sporkles
When downloading a large file such as a patch I used to simply download the patch from a third party website (Curse) while at the office, put it on a thumb drive, and then take it home and manually update my client without having to download large files with my precious 6gb of data.

You still can.

If you know the links the downloader downloads from you can still do this. They're just MPQ files.

Here's the 5.2 prepatch download files :

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1H0n0N6QK6WkYruoFaQ-4iYsc-wNjQ0Q15YYn3uFcEBg/edit

Just throw them in the locations indicated and agent should detect them after a short delay.

In the future I endeavor to release these google docs links to my twitter page.

02/12/2013 01:22 PMPosted by Sporkles
Here is my question: Does it keep downloading that patch data even after you click "Play" and enter the game? Or does patch data ONLY download while launcher window is open?

Not that I could see. I play in Windowed mode and have a network meter in my menu bar. Tried with both options turned on/off. Could not see any downloading taking place.

When I had the launcher open it was downloading.

Then again even with the experimenting I did I could not get the download to lag me out or even get it to download in game at all. Was not able to reproduce the lagging out at all.
Wish bliz would simply add a "Turn Background Download Off" setting into the game so I don't even have to worry about it ninja downloading 40mb worth of patch data if i have my launcher window up for 10 seconds.

I don't know when/why they removed this setting from the game.

I have been reading a few recent threads about the same issue and have seen Blizz GMs posting that you can turn "backgound download off" in the settings of the game WHICH IS NOT TRUE!

They even locked the thread as if the issue had been resolved.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1127124757#12

I don't think they realize what changes have been made, nor do they understand why such an option needs to be in place otherwise they wouldn't have removed it in the first place.
I'll provide that feedback. Thanks for letting me know.

The way our games update has changed a lot since we unified the process with the Blizzard Agent.

I understand your concerns Sporkles, but from feedback I gathered, this is an upcoming feature. We know that some users have bandwidth concerns, and we will be making that option available. The Blizzard Update Agent is still a relatively new technology, so it is constantly evolving.
I am currently away from home and tethering my smart phone on my laptop. It works great, but I am on a limited data plan through work, so being able to disable the background downloader would be fantastic.

There is no sense at all in wasting my monthly limit on a patch I can download at home.
I'm going to take a second look into this guys.

When I said be careful hacking around those files I didn't mean it in a hacking the game files / model editing way that would be totally against the EULA/TOS

The agent.db file is a preference file for all Blizzard games on your hard drive. You can modify values in it just as long as you know what you're doing and if you mess it up you can always delete the whole battle.net folder and let the launcher rebuild it. Agent's a fledging technology tho so it has been known to bug out.

Also at the time I didn't have the time to fiddle around with which particular _complete value to change to stop it downloading. The last time I played around with those values was back in the MoP beta.

I'm going to go take some appropriate backups and start playing around in the agent.db files now.

Another option would be for me to give you guys a link to one of my backup agent.db files you can use instead of modifying the agent.db file. Let me know if you want to do so.
For me right now the downloader is making my ingame ms extremely high (and even lags other parts of my internet)

Having no option to pause this too download at another time is just very annoying. I hope its done before my next raid night, maybe Ill leave it open beforehand.
Adding my voice to the crowd. No lag, but I just ate through half my monthly cap in a week due to the downloading I can't turn off.