What weapon should a Elemental Shaman use?

New Player Help and Guides
Post Limit:
Should elemental Shaman use a 1hand weapon and a shield or a staff? and when I'm leveling should I buy weapons and armor to help me level or will quests supply me with up-to-date gear?
They can use either. You should use whatever will give you the highest intellect. As a class that can use either I suggest holding onto a good offhand and mainhand while leveling. If a staff you find is better then use it while keeping the other 2 items. Then if a good main hand or offhand drops or is gotten through a quest you'll have an older MH/OH to go with it.

It's usually not a great idea to buy weapons and armor off the AH while leveling. Questing and dungeons should give you enough regular upgrades. Buying weapons and armor off the AH will quickly run you out of gold as you struggle to keep up with your fast leveling.
I would recommend a 1hand weapon and a shield, but if you get a nice staff, use it. Ultimately, until you're level 90, use whatever is better. Do not buy stuff. Only use things that you get from dungeons or quests.
02/12/2013 09:39 AMPosted by Deliarila
Should elemental Shaman use a 1hand weapon and a shield or a staff? and when I'm leveling should I buy weapons and armor to help me level or will quests supply me with up-to-date gear?

I would personally aim for a 1h/shield combo. You can get about the same itemization from the combo as from a caster staff, but you gain some flexibility in the stats you acquire, and also can gain significant survivability from the armor rating of the shield. A dead shaman does zero DPS, after all.

You should never, or almost never, need to buy any weapons/armor while leveling. A good tip to remember: If you seem to have a piece of armor that you have not replaced in a while, you are probably jumping around between questing zones too quickly. Typically, if you stay in one questing zone through MOST of that zone's questline, you will likely replace almost all of your gear with level appropriate gear from that zone's quest rewards. That gear is usually tuned to make the next higher level zone reasonably easy to complete...
If you're doing 1 handed don't limit yourself to a shield. You can use any off-hand item. Use whatever gives you the most Int.
Thanks so much to all of you! You have been very helpful!
shamans can use a on hand weapon and shield but i would go for staff you get more dps boost
what armor is good for a shaman
07/05/2016 03:57 AMPosted by Bigff

It's a good idea to make your own thread next time. Bumping old posts is frowned upon here because the game changes so much with every expansion, that everything said on this forum today could be untrue next year, theoretically. Necroposts can spread misinformation that is harmful to new players.

That said, almost everything ITT is true (except for Cornney's post which is situational). But just in principle.

Shaman's wear LEATHER until Level 40. At which point they can wear MAIL. You have ten levels to make the transition to an all-mail set of armor, because at Level 50 you get a passive that gives you more of your primary stat if you are wearing all mail, and you will be wearing Mail for the rest of the game at that point.

As for stats, if you are a melee Shaman (Enhancement), you want AGILITY on all of your gear. If you are a ranged or healing shaman (Elemental and Restoration) you want INTELLECT on all of your gear.

Crit, Haste, Stamina, and Armor is just gravy for you at this point. Always go for more base agility/intellect.

Once you hit level 80, the rate of gear acquisition will become slower and stats will start to stack up more regularly. You should look more into what stats are optimal for your class at that time, as well as possibly gems, enchants, and food buffs. But until then it's pretty straightforward.

06/19/2016 07:48 PMPosted by Cornney
shamans can use a on hand weapon and shield but i would go for staff you get more dps boost

At an equivalent item level, 1h+oh should be equal to a staff. In MOP 1h+oh had the edge because you could enchant the off-hand, giving you 1 more enchant than you would have had. In WoD that's not the case. At different item levels, you just need to add stats of both items and compare it to the staff. There's never one that's always better.
07/05/2016 03:57 AMPosted by Bigff

Scutshakes gave you a very thorough answer -- since you're an Elemental Shaman, look for gear with Intellect on it. Sometimes you won't be able to find Leather gear with Intellect, so it is okay to equip cloth gear if you want to. Having Intellect is more important than whether it is leather or cloth.

Usually you won't need to buy gear from a vendor. If you takes quests, the gear you get as a reward will usually be enough to equip your character.

I notice that your profession is Leatherworking, and that will be good for a Shaman, since you will be able to make a lot of gear for yourself. However, in order to make anything, you will need a supply of leather -- you can either take skinning as a profession, which lets you skin leather from the animals you kill, or you can buy leather from the auction house, or mail it to yourself from a different character that does have the skinning profession.
(But if you are on a free-to-play account, the last two options won't be available to you.)