Looking for skilled frost mage

Mage
02/13/2013 12:53 PMPosted by Jinrah
Frost PvE depends on using your hard hitting spells as soon as they are ready. There's no "buildup" with Frost, unlike Fire which waits for a good Ignite before Combustion and Arcane which builds up charges before a Barrage.

This is not always true, you will want to save your procs sometimes when you know you are about to have to move. Also, there is definitely ramp time atm via the the 3 stack buff from frostbolt. The frostbolt portion of it goes away in 5.2 but you will still want to frostbolt 3 times on the boss before using ice lance or ffb.

Frost is so boring in patch 5.2. I will probably go fire or arcane.
- You have 1 FoF
- Cast Frostbolt -> Gives you one more
- Cast Frostbolt -> Gave you one more which you lost because you didn't use Ice lance
- Cast Frostbolt

No...

You have a fof proc, you get a second one use it, keep the other one, cast another frostbolt, get another fof, cast the fof.
- You have 1 FoF
- Cast Frostbolt -> Gave you one more which you lost because you didn't use Ice lance
- Cast Frostbolt

No...

You have a fof proc, you get a second one use it, keep the other one, cast another frostbolt, get another fof, cast the fof.

I assume he was talking about pve since he mentioned a Jade Serpent Potion in his macro, which you can't exactly use in arena/rbgs
02/13/2013 08:05 PMPosted by Propetia
I assume he was talking about pve since he mentioned a Jade Serpent Potion in his macro, which you can't exactly use in arena/rbgs

I know but I wasn't talking about pvp there.
02/13/2013 12:46 PMPosted by Asteriá
But Im not seeing the setback of mirror+icy+trinket+jade pot..
Because ultimately its just lazy play that results in heavy limitations. I can think of a thousand scenarios I would use mi without using icy veins (IV), or popping IV without using my dps trinket, or times when I don't want to pop MI during burst. You'll still need to bind each piece of that macro to a seperate bind in order to get the full use of each ability/trinket.

When you create dps macros like that, you end up severely limiting the use of these cds since they're all popped at once. What happens when you mis-time the use of that macro and end up getting pealed? You've now blown everything you have on that one kill attempt and it failed.

Dps macros work in PvE. Each fight is scripted, doesn't change. So you know exactly when and how to get the max use out of your dps cds. PvP is a very different beast.
02/13/2013 07:03 AMPosted by Xiun
And ... yes .. Burst macro button... why the hell not? I only have in there the things that I need grouped.

OP is in all pvp gear, I assume he means pvp burst in which burst macros are flat out awful

I often log out in my PvP gear as well but very good point they did not specify. And yes a grouped burst macro for PvP would not be a good idea since PvP is alot more conditional than PvE.

I would disagree with Frygyd on saving active Trinkets for Alter Time, that's a long wait (3 mins). Most trinkets usually are ready before that and are better used in macro with your bomb and/or Frostbolt to use them as soon as they come off cooldown.

But you can only use Jade Serpent potion once a fight, so therefore if you cannot line up Time Warp, Icy Veins, and Alter Time properly, it's better if you use it when you burst haste with Time Warp.

Other than that the only thing I would recommend is putting your Presence of Mind and pet's Freeze in a macro with Frostbolt so they are used as soon as they come off cooldown.

I manually use Mirrors at the beginning of the fight since I burst almost immediately. Someone said putting it in the burst macro but I like having it up so the tanks don't get antsy. I burst hard and fast.

I pre-pot a jade serpent potion so I can use two during a fight.

I don't have any on-use Trinkets currently but when I do I have them in the burst macro and separate so I can decide if I want to use one before a burst phase comes up again.

I know Icy-veins says to bind PoM to Frostbolt but it's just too useful for a few different things. Maybe that's just my brief PvPing speaking though. Create a few Alt/Shift/Ctrl buttons so you can use PoM if you need an instant FrostBomb, or Frostbolt, Sheep, etc on the move. Below is the macro I use for PoM/Frostbolt. Notice the visible part of the macro is Presence of Mind so I will know when PoM is ready to use again.

#show Presence of Mind
/cancelaura Ice Block
/cancelaura Invisibility
/cast [modifier:alt] Presence of Mind;Frostbolt
/cast Freeze
/stopmacro [target=pettarget, exists]
/PetAttack
02/13/2013 04:44 AMPosted by Breaktheice
Nether Tempest has a 25% chance to give you a Brain Freeze proc on every tick, so you can either get very lucky, or go through a dry streak as well.

I'm just being anal, but NT only has a 9% chance per tick, LB is the one have 25% chance.

For single target fights though, it really is your preference, as there won't be much noticeable difference. On large trash though, Frost Bomb absolutely rules. :)
- You have 1 FoF
- Cast Frostbolt

No...

Though in PVE, we chaincast quite a bit. So by the time you realize you had another FoF proc, you're probably in the midst of casting another frostbolt. Stopping it would be a dps loss, as would another FoF proccing from that Frostbolt.

My biggest challenge in PVE playing frost is not wasting procs. :D

My biggest challenge in PVE playing frost is not wasting procs. :D

Same. In PvE I never hold onto a proc unless my cooldowns are coming up ready for a burst phase. Otherwise I use the procs as they happen to make sure I dont' waste any extra's.