Tanking for the first time....

Paladin
Well.........as a RET just turned PROT for the first time as I hit 85 and moved into MOP and I have concerns about tanking.

I HAVE NEVER TANKED.

I can now queue for the first normal dungeon but Im reluctant to do so as I feel I will get crapped on since it will be my first time.

I suppose I could explain before the run starts this is my first time and they can work with me or boot me; their choice, but I dont want to sound snooty.

Should I just jump in and give it a go or should I wait a bit until I gain more levels and gear?
Well.........as a RET just turned PROT for the first time as I hit 85 and moved into MOP and I have concerns about tanking.

I HAVE NEVER TANKED.

I can now queue for the first normal dungeon but Im reluctant to do so as I feel I will get crapped on since it will be my first time.

I suppose I could explain before the run starts this is my first time and they can work with me or boot me; their choice, but I dont want to sound snooty.

Should I just jump in and give it a go or should I wait a bit until I gain more levels and gear?

Read the Prot Pally Guide - Protect the Pandas! sticky above. That should answer most if not all your questions on how to tank. It's easy enough to read for a first time tanker and the info is true into raiding.
You certainly want some tanking gear before starting. Nothing worse than a tank that can't take any damage.
When you zone in just say something like, "Hello all, first time tank here so take it easy on me. Any tips during the run would be appreciated."
Read the guides out there and tank, tank, tank tank and tank some more. Have fun with it!
If for some reason people get outta line, wait until the group is safe and politely bow out of the run. Say something like, "sorry guys this isn't working out, I hope your next tank is a better than I was," and click leave group.
02/13/2013 08:33 AMPosted by Frontiersman
You certainly want some tanking gear before starting. Nothing worse than a tank that can't take any damage.

Actually, all he really needs is a sowrd'n'board, and he's ready to roll; trinks would help, too, but they're not absolutely necessary. Pally tanks are in an interesting place right now in that we're the only plate tank to prefer DPS gear to tank gear. This will likely change come 5.2, when Grand Crusader shifts to proc solely from avoidance instead of CS/HotR, but we'll just have to see if it's enough to beat haste's survival strengths.
02/13/2013 08:41 AMPosted by Grôgnárd

Actually, all he really needs is a sowrd'n'board, and he's ready to roll; trinks would help, too, but they're not absolutely necessary. Pally tanks are in an interesting place right now in that we're the only plate tank to prefer DPS gear to tank gear. This will likely change come 5.2, when Grand Crusader shifts to proc solely from avoidance instead of CS/HotR, but we'll just have to see if it's enough to beat haste's survival strengths.

According to my gear and the LFD it says my gear will allow me to enter the lvl 85 dungeon in MOP. with the gear I currently have on will it be doable?
Also where is a good place to read up on the fights?
Should be okay, I think; give fair warning that you're new to tanking, though - always helps.

Keep up Sacred Shield, don't neglect Shield of the Righteous, cycles your defensive CDs if you have to. I didn't start tanking this expansion until my Ret set was solid, and my tank set was basically just hand-me-down Ret pieces that I reforged/regemmed/re-enchanted for tanking. Was a bit shaky at first since I hadn't seriously Pally tanked since mid-Wrath, but it went smoothly once I found my cadence again.
Crap your pants, jump in and swim. Be Just, and fear not.
Coldsteel, Icy Veins has summaries on all of the dungeons. I haven't dipped my toe into the tanking waters yet either. S'pose I might tonight :) Good luck.
Honestly I wrote a thread along the lines of what you just wrote here. After 4 weeks of plugging away I have, or at least I think I have, it down pat. Sure there are some situations that confuse me but for the most part I'm pretty set on what to do. (I still have an issue with keyboard turning but thats another topic). I found the MOST MOST helpful thing was looking up in Youtube Frontallobe who has videos on How to Pally Tank in Mists of Pandaria. Do a search and follow his advice. He showed macros that will help so you don't have to worry about clicking certain buttons and above all his video SHOWED me what to do. Honestly give it a look. Not sure if the forums will let me post a link but here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frKBebXt8N4&list=UU2whKfp9nqRq9Gspc_uww2g&index=12
02/13/2013 10:54 AMPosted by Karacallah
Coldsteel, Icy Veins has summaries on all of the dungeons. I haven't dipped my toe into the tanking waters yet either. S'pose I might tonight :) Good luck.

Do you have a link?
Ya I was messing around with my tanking skills witch i must say are not to good. I belive im going to go somewhere where the enemy are attacking allies and try and deffend the and do some practicing on my skills first. Your musle memory is very important to good play skills.