Helping Pet battlers create solid teams.

Pet Battles
Prev 1 2 3 26 Next
02/14/2013 11:46 PMPosted by Neya
This might be a lot to ask, but... what would be your advice for picking pets to make a pvp team to begin with? I've done plenty of pet battles in the quest chains, but I have yet to try a pvp match just because I'm not sure where to even start in choosing types/pets.

No it really isn't at all. The less restrictions the better. I do however ask if there is a pet, family type or maybe an ability you really like so I can base it off that. I'd hate to make a team that you wont like.

I have some really good ideas with your Nexus Whelp or Azura Whelp but my heart isn't set on them. You do have some very nice pets so I have a lot to work with. I'll run some preliminary teams but I will wait for your response before getting really serious.

02/14/2013 11:57 PMPosted by Sibenice
Spectral Tiger Cub is like FFF in a darkness cump. Mine hits for around 1.7k. :P

Lol I ran into a darkness comp with him in it for the first time yesterday, before then he was pretty unremarkable almost a free kill really. My jaw dropped when he one shotted my Skull -.-
02/15/2013 03:50 AMPosted by Babyjace
I love how the only crow I could get was the one with !@#$ speed :)

Lol ya the crows speed is very important, try Gilnean Raven. It only comes in the speed breed and since your a Worgan I think you can just buy it off the Pet Battle Trainer for 50 silver. I don't like the Worgan starting zone so I just farmed the crow instead.
02/15/2013 06:26 AMPosted by Annimositty
Lol I ran into a darkness comp with him in it for the first time yesterday, before then he was pretty unremarkable almost a free kill really. My jaw dropped when he one shotted my Skull -.-

Yeah, he's like my secret weapon. No one knows what to do when I bring him out so I usually get to one shot at least one pet. :P

02/15/2013 06:30 AMPosted by Annimositty
Lol ya the crows speed is very important, try Gilnean Raven. It only comes in the speed breed and since your a Worgan I think you can just buy it off the Pet Battle Trainer for 50 silver. I don't like the Worgan starting zone so I just farmed the crow instead.

That's actually not true. He comes in four breeds. P/S, S/S, P/B and B/B

I just got lucky and got two S/S and one P/S with my worgen and the P/S is at least useful for PvE stuff so people will buy/trade for it.
02/15/2013 08:10 AMPosted by Sibenice
That's actually not true. He comes in four breeds. P/S, S/S, P/B and B/B

Ya must have been dozing off when I was checking his breeds on Wowcraftpets sorry about that.
02/15/2013 06:26 AMPosted by Annimositty
This might be a lot to ask, but... what would be your advice for picking pets to make a pvp team to begin with? I've done plenty of pet battles in the quest chains, but I have yet to try a pvp match just because I'm not sure where to even start in choosing types/pets.

No it really isn't at all. The less restrictions the better. I do however ask if there is a pet, family type or maybe an ability you really like so I can base it off that. I'd hate to make a team that you wont like.

I have some really good ideas with your Nexus Whelp or Azura Whelp but my heart isn't set on them. You do have some very nice pets so I have a lot to work with. I'll run some preliminary teams but I will wait for your response before getting really serious.

My whelps/dragons are probably my favourites, so a team centered around one would be great for me!
02/15/2013 08:27 AMPosted by Annimositty
Ya must have been dozing off when I was checking his breeds on Wowcraftpets sorry about that.

Happens to the best of us. I only know because I was checking the ones I got for trading and I use the addon that shows all possible breeds!
02/15/2013 08:53 AMPosted by Neya
My whelps/dragons are probably my favourites, so a team centered around one would be great for me!

Great! I figured since you had so many lv 25's. I am testing the teams now. I'll prob post them later today or tomorrow for sure.

I already have two teams made that might serve you well if your willing to hunt down some wild pets (with the right breed)

If you look at my pets and filter them by names you will find these two teams you might like. "T Eight" and "T Thirteen". If you do just tell me. I will post their move sets and intended breeds (haven't got perfect breeds for all those teams yet).

The team I'm working on is a combination of those two teams. I will also post a team for Nexus Whelp (just cuz you have the perfect breed I been hunting for =P)

Btw love the Dragon Age names lol.
02/15/2013 09:05 AMPosted by Annimositty

Great! I figured since you had so many lv 25's. I am testing the teams now. I'll prob post them later today or tomorrow for sure.

I already have two teams made that might serve you well if your willing to hunt down some wild pets (with the right breed)

If you look at my pets and filter them by names you will find these two teams you might like. "T Eight" and "T Thirteen". If you do just tell me. I will post their move sets and intended breeds (haven't got perfect breeds for all those teams yet).

The team I'm working on is a combination of those two teams. I will also post a team for Nexus Whelp (just cuz you have the perfect breed I been hunting for =P)

Btw love the Dragon Age names lol.

Haha, thanks, I was starting to run out of name sources... I can't wait to see the Nexus Whelp team(!), but I do like the T Thirteen group-- and I definitely don't mind farming pets out in the wild. My only question is how do you know if it's the right "breed"? Speed is higher than attack, or vice versa? That kind of thing?
02/15/2013 10:08 AMPosted by Neya
Haha, thanks, I was starting to run out of name sources... I can't wait to see the Nexus Whelp team(!), but I do like the T Thirteen group-- and I definitely don't mind farming pets out in the wild. My only question is how do you know if it's the right "breed"? Speed is higher than attack, or vice versa? That kind of thing?

Sometimes, but it's not always clear cut. You can use a website that's been linked around here a lot but I prefer the addon Battle Pet Breedid, it shows the breeds of all your pets in whatever format you want as well as all the other possible breeds and what the stats would be at level 25.
02/15/2013 10:15 AMPosted by Sibenice
Sometimes, but it's not always clear cut. You can use a website that's been linked around here a lot but I prefer the addon Battle Pet Breedid, it shows the breeds of all your pets in whatever format you want as well as all the other possible breeds and what the stats would be at level 25.

Beat me to it Sib =).

Well T thirteen is a perfect example. The Crimson Geode should be the P/P breed (power/power). The one I have only has 292 attack but the P/P breed has 357 a HUGE upgrade to damage and since his main roll in the team is to swap in Elementium Bolt/Amplify magic. You want that ability to hit as hard as possible. Hard hitting spell+357 attack+ a stun is deadly

Some pets benefit from being faster, more attack pwer, or even more HP. It really depends on it's family and move sets
Great! Thanks for the advice, guys! I downloaded that addon and have been seeing what it's like as I battle Crimson Geodes (I didn't even realize I was missing one from my journal D:). No P/P ones yet, but I'm holding onto the rare H/P one I found for now since I don't have any elemental battle-stones.
02/15/2013 08:10 AMPosted by Sibenice
Yeah, he's like my secret weapon. No one knows what to do when I bring him out so I usually get to one shot at least one pet. :P

He's actually easier to deal with than FFF. Changing the Weather or using avoidance is pretty much a death sentence for him since Spectral Strike has a 3 round CD. He's even more useless in 5.2 where Spectral Strike has a 4 round CD and Prowl only lasts 2 rounds. Granted, its still a 50% (more like 40% after fixed miss and dodge) that he still one shots without Darkness. I'm really surprised that he wasn't changed at all in 5.2, but it seems Blizzard doesn't like touching "Cash" pets (look at Deep Freeze change vs no change on Surge of Light/Fury of 1000 Fists).

Anyways, your right I haven't played that variant because I'm not willing to fork over more than a 100 bucks for a pet or grind a stupid amount of gold. Still, Darkness is pretty weak next patch and I don't generally factor in CE or excessive cash pets into the meta when the vast majority don't have access to them.
02/15/2013 01:04 PMPosted by Surrender
He's actually easier to deal with than FFF. Changing the Weather or using avoidance is pretty much a death sentence for him since Spectral Strike has a 3 round CD. He's even more useless in 5.2 where Spectral Strike has a 4 round CD and Prowl only lasts 2 rounds. Granted, its still a 50% (more like 40% after fixed miss and dodge) that he still one shots without Darkness. I'm really surprised that he wasn't changed at all in 5.2, but it seems Blizzard doesn't like touching "Cash" pets (look at Deep Freeze change vs no change on Surge of Light/Fury of 1000 Fists).

I wouldn't say he's easier to deal with than FF because if you're smart it's much easier to get off a two turn one shot than a three. Of course weather changes counters Darkness, that's kind of a no brainer, and we all know Darkness is getting a nerf.

No where in my post did I say he's not counter-able or massively over-powered. I simply said that no one has known what to do when I bring him about so I've gotten off a lot of one shots.

I bought mine with gold, I wouldn't spend that much all on one pet with money either. But gold really isn't that hard to get. Finding someone who was selling/trading it was the much more difficult part.

Anyways, I wasn't trying to get into one of the famous Surrender debates that never end for reasons I won't go into. I was simply jokingly responding to

02/14/2013 07:00 PMPosted by Surrender
Edit: In before "you haven't ran it with Lil' Deathwing/Scourged Whelping/Wisp/any of the horrible lanterns.
That's fine. I just misread your "secret" weapon as if there was no counter to dealing with him. Avoidance honestly is the only real answer though since you can still get lucky with a 1 shot without darkness, which is honestly pretty cheesy but meh. Hes pretty much the same reason people frown upon the auto KO moves in pokemon like Horn Drill, and they have even a less chance to hit.
02/15/2013 01:12 PMPosted by Hozzarn
Just had to say great post OP. I am still playing around leaning my pet moves and this thread has given me some fun ideas. When I am done collecting and tamer battling I will try some of these ideas/suggestion for pvp.

Thnx =). It love creating strong unique teams and I figured I could put that to good use. Plus you guys really give me some inspiration I may have never had (like Masa's Darkness team =P )

Who knows, maybe after all these OP pets/comps get nerfed we might see a bit more of these comps running havoc
Ok I finished the team with Azura Whelp in it. It truly became a comp formed from 3 of my older teams. It is a really fearsome combo.

Fawn (S/S breed)- Stamped, Natures Ward, Headbutt
Scourged Whelp (H/H breed)- Tail Whip, Death and Decay, Plagued Blood
Azura Whelp - Claw/Breath, Wild Magic, Ice Tomb

Reflect users will have a field day with Ice Tomb but the team has a passive defence to reflect. Dropping death and decay early when u see a reflect using pet will make it so when they use it it will reflect the death and decay's 50 dmg dot. It will not work for Ice Tomb since Ice Tomb hits after the dot so be carefull when using it.

Of course this wont matter when reflects gutted.

I couldn't get the S/S fawn myself despite how common the pet it is but I used the Little Fawn (same as you have) and it worked fine. The S/S breed fawn is just better.

I will have the Nexus Whelp team ready for you 2morrow.
I'm still working on leveling some pets, so i don't really have a team based question..but it you could take a few moments to explain breeds to me? I've seen pets with more hp and pets with more attack power of the same species but beyond that it's lost on me.
Lol I think I just got beat by my own Darkness Team while testing the Nexus Whelp.

Maybe I'm just being conceited =P