question about the importance of ranged weap

Hunter
Howdy. I've had this hunter since vanilla but never used it as a raider. I recently started gearing up for raiding and junk due to guild's DPS needs. My DPS seems lackluster even with the gear I've managed to accumulate. Is the fact that I'm still using a blue quality weapon really bringing my DPS down significantly, or am I just a baddie?
Ranged weapon does help a lot but we can't exactly say if you are, as you put it, a "baddie" without knowing what sort of numbers you pull, what your role is in fights and what you're doing. (I.E world of logs)
yeah, the dude who runs our WOL didn't upload last night's raid, but I was able to pull ~70kish on our H blade lord kill tonight. I think...
02/13/2013 09:45 PMPosted by Brawnhammer
yeah, the dude who runs our WOL didn't upload last night's raid, but I was able to pull ~70kish on our H blade lord kill tonight. I think...

That's, assuming your memory's accurate, utterly exceptional in your gear. Blade Lord is rather unforgiving on DPS meters due to the gauntlet segement, and your gear still has some serious gaps (like the ranged weapon you mentioned!). So I'm guessing you may be slightly over-remembering, but if you're even close to that you're doing quite well, and the biggest difference will just come with gear.

For comparison, in somewhat worse gear than I currently have (~490 ilvl, I think? -- this was two or three months ago), I was able to push up to about 80k on that fight in 10-normal mode, and that put me in, at the time, the 99th percentile on WoL for BM hunters.
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/8c9bmjhz8p1q3n2f/sum/damageDone/?s=2219&e=2705

came in at 67k. With your bit of wisdom I'll just chalk it up to my lack of a big boy weapon and call it good enough. Appreciate the input.
Oh. DPS(e) is the column you should be looking at on World of Logs. DPS count in WoL pauses its counting for pauses in DPS (so, for example, if you do 100k DPS in the first five seconds and then die, it will show 100k DPS). DPS(e) does what Recount/Skada does, and takes your damage done and divides it by the number of seconds spend in combat. DPS(e) is, in most cases, the more useful and revealing statistic.

The 60k DPS(e) is a bit more what I'd expect. Might be able to push it a little higher (65k, maybe 70k tops), but that depends a fair bit on luck for a fight like that. It's still pretty decent, though.