are ret pallys gonna be any good

Paladin
you see I started playing wow beginig of wotlk, I played pally first cuz at the time I thought they looked cool and always had my gear up to date for pvp. im not good at healing, and I hate tanking so I like ret, in patch 5.2 will rt stay the same, I tend to be able to beat a lot of players, healers are just to opp if stun is on cd, plz help, I wuld hate to now be wanted in 2v2 and 3v3 since arena are my passion
Right now Ret paladins are one of the weakest melee dps classes in the game. Reading from patch notes 5.2, there isnt any real game changers for damage. Sword of Light now gives your Flash of Light a 100% healing boost. Hand of Purity will now apply a 10% damage reduction, and now your sacred shield is useless for PVP as it can be dispelled. Also theyre nerfing Selfless healer, but really thats just getting replaced with the buff from Sword of Light.
In all honesty, I pretty much gave up on ret. I ended up rolling a DK and DPSing with that. What makes me mad is when my DK was fresh 90 and had next to nothing in gear (was still rolling in some cata heroic gear) I was still making better dps number than my paladin who didnt have the best gear, but was still way better than my DK at the time.
Not sure what Blizzards problem is, but Ive gotten to the point where I dont want to play anymore because they seem more concerned about appeasing the cry babies in the pvp forums rather than making adjustments to a class that actually makes fair game play.
To be frank? I seems more and more like were becoming plate wearing rogues rather than a hero/ warrior type class...
I see what u mean...I mean wen I face prot warriors there easy, but as soon as I duel hunters or mw monks they wipre me easly, 5 hits for arcane and what not, idk what the problem is but blizz def needs to fix cuz I cant heal for crap in pvp, and tankig im gd but I don't like it, but ret has always been my spec at heart, I enjoy hunters only for the beasts, and dks are basically the closest thing to ret as they have ranged spell type atcks so, so wat do u think I shuld do, reroll a warrior or dk, bcuz I can honesly say pallys are my fav class by far but pvp is wat I like to do best

I can only defeat a prot warrior with seal of insight
02/14/2013 01:20 PMPosted by Alliance
Right now Ret paladins are one of the weakest melee dps classes in the game.

Huh... I did not know that. You know, this whole time I've been competing with my own raid group. I suppose I've been doing it wrong. I should be using LFR as a measuring stick.. or better yet, using logs from heroic raiders.

It's so easy to fail when you make the bar unreachable, isn't it?
02/14/2013 04:36 PMPosted by Vlada
Right now Ret paladins are one of the weakest melee dps classes in the game.

Huh... I did not know that. You know, this whole time I've been competing with my own raid group. I suppose I've been doing it wrong. I should be using LFR as a measuring stick.. or better yet, using logs from heroic raiders.

It's so easy to fail when you make the bar unreachable, isn't it?

You do realise this is a PvP thread.. Right?
Did you read anything past the first sentence?
Yes. Did you? :P

Nostalgia, vague references to things. Tanking? Last sentence (2?) talks about arena.

Followed by more vague stuff. References to DPS, which sorry to say, is more of a PVE term (which is probably where I got lost). More vague stuff. QQ. QQ. QQ. Words about pally sucking and switching to a faceroll class. QQ. QQ. QQ. Blizzard WTF?!?

All of this with some smatterings of PVP, but not solid. Until 3rd post, which I skimmed, but still talks about tanking?

Great Scott, this isn't a PVP thread! It's one of those 'Should I still play this class' threads!

When I read things like what Mr QQ #2 wrote, I wonder sometimes about people's tactics. Are they running off by themselves and trying to Ironman 4-5 people while trying to snipe at least 1 KB? I don't enjoy PVP in this game, because it seems like the average person does not care and/or is playing very stupidly. It makes battlegrounds obnoxious. Yes, there are bots, but I'm not talking about them. People cannot work as a group. That's not the class's fault.

I have and do PVP. And I do things like staying with the group and playing smart. Supporting my group and assisting on targets. So truthfully, despite Ret's weaknesses, it is nowhere near as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. I don't need a high rating to know basic group tactics, ya know? This game has never been balanced around dueling. It's not balanced for 2v2 either. I guess it's 3s? I swear it used to be 5s a looong time ago. Regardless, it's balanced around group dynamics. Arenas obviously take more focus than random BGs, but again, you have a team. You should be playing smart. I do not deny that CC and burst is ridiculous sometimes, as well as, some classes and comps are too strong.

Some of the buffs will help, some will not, and some are not finalized in the PTR. Best bet is to hit up the PTR and give feedback in the PTR boards or wait til the patch hits. Or perpetuate the daisychain of QQ... whatever works.

@Solvexx, I'm going to go ahead and assume you play intelligently and are an asset to your team. How many Rets do you think do that? Hell, how many people in general? How is it that you succeed and other fail? Same class. Same opportunities. Same opponents. As 'bad' as Ret is, by some MIRACLE you smite foes with your wet noodle. Aren't you an example that Ret is not gutter when played properly? Does the class need some work? Of course.

I'd apologize for my lack of patience with this thread, but I don't care.
02/15/2013 12:50 AMPosted by Brutalshotz
tldr pve'r

mfw
Yes. Did you? :P

@Solvexx, I'm going to go ahead and assume you play intelligently and are an asset to your team. How many Rets do you think do that? Hell, how many people in general? How is it that you succeed and other fail? Same class. Same opportunities. Same opponents. As 'bad' as Ret is, by some MIRACLE you smite foes with your wet noodle. Aren't you an example that Ret is not gutter when played properly? Does the class need some work? Of course.

I'd apologize for my lack of patience with this thread, but I don't care.

The funny thing is, I'm not really.
Only reason why I got my t2 this season.. While I did attain 2200+ multiple times they were all only because I have the network from previous seasons.
I honestly don't offer anything any other melee class can't do better.. Except for rogues tbh.

But, you are right.
It is very attainable.. Just not at a below average skill level.
02/14/2013 01:20 PMPosted by Alliance
now your sacred shield is useless for PVP as it can be dispelled.

this could actually go either way the buff that put it up their was already dispellable. now tho when you use BoP there is an extra part that is dispellable thus possibly another gcd to remove it.

and if any1 is actually wasting the time to dispel a 20-25k its a win for you.
Currently sacred shield (all of it) can be dispelled. In 5.2 the buff you place will not, but the effect that pops every 6 seconds can.