Just a suggestion...

Customer Support
Hello.

I've been playing WoW now since the very early release of vanilla (with a break during cata) and have been a WoW fan ever since. I thought I had permanently quit the game, but the Scroll of Resurrection promotion was extremely attractive to me, so I gave it a shot. During the 7 free days I got, I fell in love with the game again. I hadn't had this much fun since vanilla, and Blizzard seemed to fix all the things that I had hoped for in the previous expansions. This was the game that I had been waiting for. Unfortunately, all of my WoW friends quit (even the one who resurrected me quit after a few weeks), all but one friend. But, of course with wow being such a large game, he was on a different server and faction. Why not server and faction change you say? Well, being a poor college student, $55 bucks for a service on top of the $15 I already pay a month to play the game (essentially rebuying MoP and then some, just to be able to play the game). Unfortunately, since $55 bucks would buy me about a week and a half worth of food, I can't afford to pay for the services Now I am stuck on a server with no friends, no guild, and nothing to do but dailies and heroics. I'm excited for the new raiding content to come out, but will likely never see it.

Blizzard, if you're wondering why you're losing customers, it's because every other game out there has some sort of free service and you don't. Your game is worth the money a month, but charging $55 dollars for a service is by far the biggest rip off in gaming history. You want your customers to re-purchase the game in order to play with friends? If the major demographics of World of Warcraft are in their 20's, why would you make such a service so expensive? $55 bucks is a lot to younger people and I feel like this is a major disadvantage to playing World of Warcraft.

Anyway, I hope you don't read this as a hate post because it's anything but that. I absolutely love the game and want to keep playing it. However, you will likely lose me as a customer (who has been paying for a collective of 6 years) because you decide to charge such ridiculous amounts on services that encourage players to be social. If anything, it discourages players to continue to play the game because often times I log on and feel alone, while I know I have friends on other servers with RealID, it can only take you so far.

I write this hoping that Blizzard might still be the company that listens to and respects their loyal customers, instead of just trying to get as much money as possible from us.
The Blues in CS are not developers, nor liaisons to them. Additionally the developers do not read this forum for feedback,complaint, or suggestions.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6413134207#10

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7415606749#2

While our Developers appreciate any feedback you may have regarding the game it is important that these posts be not only constructive but also in the correct location. Development and our Community Managers do not read the CS forum normally and we do not serve as liaisons with them.

If you would like your feedback seen by the appropriate parties, please post in the forum that is best associated with your subject. For example if you have feedback on a specific class, post within that classes forum. For feedback that does not fit within a specific forum the General Discussion forum is best.

Make certain that your feedback is constructive, if you do not like something make sure you have a "why",how do you think it should work? Make sure your post is easy to read and understand. Proper paragraphs and grammar help a great deal, keep your points clear and concise and try to avoid drifting into exaggerations.

While our Developers and Community Managers are not usually able to respond directly to such threads they are read and again, very much appreciated. Player feedback is always considered, even if it may not always be applied.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/suggestions-to-improve-the-game

Suggestions to Improve the Game

Blizzard is lucky to have fans who take the time to contribute new game ideas and suggestions for improving our products. While we value the feedback and perspective our players offer, we cannot accept suggestions via email or petition. Suggestions must follow one of two avenues:

Forums

Suggestions can be submitted to the development teams through our official forums. The forums provide a valuable opportunity for Blizzard staff members to collect feedback from those who know our games best. When you create a suggestion post on the forums, select the forum that most closely matches the subject of your feedback. While we cannot guarantee a response, we can assure you that the Forums are read regularly, and the suggestions posted there do make an impact on our game designs.

Note: A valid World of Warcraft account is needed to post on the World of Warcraft Forums.

In-Game

Suggestions can also be submitted in-game. The suggestions submitted in this manner will go directly to the development teams – customer support will not provide a response to your suggestion. To submit a suggestion in-game:

1. Click to open the Customer Support window

2. Click Submit Suggestion.

3. Enter your suggestion. Be sure to follow the guidelines on the submission form.

4. Click Submit.

Our development teams are hard at work to bring you new and exciting content. Similarly to the forums, we cannot guarantee a personal response to suggestions submitted using the in-game form. However, we can assure you that your suggestion will be read and considered.
I know its likely not what you want to hear, but... why not reroll? Its free, and these days levelling is stupidly fast anyway.
If you would like to see Blizzard change their prices, you'll need to post in the General Discussion Forum for developers to read and consider.

That said, even though inflation is going on, Blizzard has NOT raised their prices over the years. It's held steady.

Additionally, prior to server and faction changes being made available, people were willing to pay upwards of $100 for such a service and Blizzard felt that was too much and gave us a much lower cost.

Blizzard keeps the cost where it is to help moderate server populations. They don't want people jumping to the FOTM server. They want people to stay on a server and help build it back up. They want people to build a community on that server. If prices were lowered (or free), players would just jump around servers constantly and ruin the little bit of community that is left in the game. They would make servers even more unbalanced as well. There are already enough low pop servers. It doesn't need to be worse.

And... rerolling is free. You even get to take your mounts, pets, and achievements with you now when you reroll.
Blizzard, if you're wondering why you're losing customers, it's because every other game out there has some sort of free service and you don't.

You do realize those "other games" have player bases smaller than the numbers of subs Blizzard loses in any given quarter, right?

Blizzard doesn't really want people moving hopping all over, the pricing is intended to act as a bit of a deterrent. If you REALLY want to play a different faction on a different server you would reroll. If you wanted the change bad enough you'd be willing to either cough up the money or start over at level 1.
02/14/2013 02:29 PMPosted by Ambermist
I know its likely not what you want to hear, but... why not reroll? Its free, and these days levelling is stupidly fast anyway.

Ya, over one the New Player forum, we just watched (by way of their forum threads asking questions) a brand new player level from 1-90 in about a month, quite impressive.
What happens if my character is on a different realm or faction than the friend who invited me?

If the character that was level boosted is on a different realm or faction than the character who sent the invitation, you will be eligible for a free Character Transfer and/or a free Faction Change to bring you to your friend’s realm and faction.
See the Faction Change and Character Transfer FAQs for details on existing limitations. In addition, you cannot use the offered Character Transfer to move a character from one account to another.

And the issue is....?
02/14/2013 02:49 PMPosted by Graybow
And the issue is....?

The player who invited them back via SoR has left the game. The one friend they have left is active is on a different realm and faction.

02/14/2013 02:25 PMPosted by Scyver
Blizzard, if you're wondering why you're losing customers, it's because every other game out there has some sort of free service and you don't.

WoW is still the number one MMO by a very large margin. However, according to the last few earnings calls, most of the lost is happening in the East (Asia).

In addition, it is misleading to make a comparison between WoW and other MMO's who are forced into a different business model (free services + micro transactions) due to being unable to compete with WoW. Also, the average WoW player is actually 30 years old and makes 35k+ a year, according to the last demographics I saw.
02/14/2013 03:00 PMPosted by Maul
The player who invited them back via SoR has left the game. The one friend they have left is active is on a different realm and faction.

And the issue is? The friend is not a factor, only the server the friend is on. That was the OP's gripe, they would have to pay to play with their friend:

Unfortunately, all of my WoW friends quit (even the one who resurrected me quit after a few weeks), all but one friend. But, of course with wow being such a large game, he was on a different server and faction.

The SoR is already designed to bypass the need to pay for a transfer. WHy did the OP not use it.

Just sayin'....
Graybow, maybe the OP didn't NEED to use it. Read the first post properly. He said the friend who recruited him later left the game...

Unfortunately, all of my WoW friends quit (even the one who resurrected me quit after a few weeks), all but one friend. But, of course with wow being such a large game, he was on a different server and faction.
The SoR is already designed to bypass the need to pay for a transfer. WHy did the OP not use it.

SoR only allows you to transfer to the server that your friend sent the SoR from. If that friend was on the same server, as the OP, they wouldn't get a server to transfer to.
SoR only allows you to transfer to the server that your friend sent the SoR from. If that friend was on the same server, as the OP, they wouldn't get a server to transfer to.

Then linking this issue magically to the Scroll of Resurrection was pointless on the part of the OP.

Man Up. Pay the fee.
02/14/2013 03:18 PMPosted by Graybow
Then linking this issue magically to the Scroll of Resurrection was pointless on the part of the OP.

If you had read the OP, you would see that the SoR promotion got him interested in the game again. He realized that he enjoyed the game again through the free time he got.
Blizzard, if you're wondering why you're losing customers

A certain level of attrition is normal, Scyver. Folks move on. Keep in mind that we do have actual data available on our game.

However, you will likely lose me as a customer (who has been paying for a collective of 6 years) because you decide to charge such ridiculous amounts on services that encourage players to be social.

I am sorry to hear that, Scyver, but please understand that the introduction of these services happened due to player feedback. That included the pricing of them, which I might add was priced much lower than many folks claimed that they'd be willing to pay to be able to move their character between realms or to faction change.

If anything, it discourages players to continue to play the game because often times I log on and feel alone, while I know I have friends on other servers with RealID, it can only take you so far.

Yes, the RealID option can only take you so far, but it is an option for those who are unable to or unwilling to either use the available services or create a new character to play with the friends they have discovered play on a different realm and/or faction.

If you would like to see a change made to the game or available services I'd encourage you to post in a forum that would be relevant to the subject. In this case the General Discussion forum would be best.

The following is from a post that one of our Community Managers posted regarding these services. Nearly anything may change though so adding your feedback is always welcome.

These are premium services added to better accommodate the wants and needs of players. They do not factor into what you get for buying the game/expansions and paying monthly for access to the serers. By no means do you need any of these premium services to enjoy World of Warcraft gameplay to the fullest extent. Should you desire to take advantage of some extra services to enhance your enjoyment of the game though, they're certainly there for you... if you feel it's worth the price.

We've made countless quality-of-life improvements to the game in terms of content, UI, data storage, character profiles, etc. We've expanded upon what you get for your monthly subscription by leaps and bounds since the game was first released, but the subscription price has not changed.

Everything we do and every service we add costs more money than you might realize. So, if we do occasionally add some premium services which are purely to give you more options for enjoying the game how you want (changing your realm, faction, race, name, physical appearance, etc.), we need to make sure there is an appropriate value added to those services so we can sustain them, sustain our business, and keep focusing on making this the best game possible. :)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2456451254?page=3#45