Using nether tempest in AoE

Mage
Post Limit:
I just switched to nether tempest to try it out for the superior single target damage (and for light of the cosmos trinket procs) after using frost bomb for months... when I go up against AoE packs with nether tempest, is it worth dotting up every mob with it, or is there a point of diminishing returns where you should only keep the dot on a certain number of mobs before spamming AE?
Depends on how many targets we're talking here.
Ok, say 5. Is it more dps to dot up all 5 and keep them dotted, or cap it at 3 or 4? Between refreshing the dot on 5 mobs and dropping flamestrike, seems like you'd have barely any time to AE spam.
02/16/2013 12:23 AMPosted by Swiftyclicks
Is it more dps to dot up all 5 and keep them dotted, or cap it at 3 or 4?

Five is usually my limit depending on how much health they have. I will usually do something like this:

-Evocation (Invocation)
-NT All five
-Orb
-Spam IL
-Pet nova when orb is down
-2 IL
-Refresh all NT

I consume all BF procs as they occur. Some people ease a flamestrike in there as well, but I seem to do more damage without the extra cast. That's only my experience though. I use this method on the trash before Feng every time.

Honestly if I just keep NT on five targets with no other AoE it seems to do a considerable amount of damage. It's very powerful for multi-dot situations.
Invocation would not apply for Arcane (at least not on live).

If you are fighting 5+ targets, I have always just used living bomb (ie: just change spec all the time until you are fighting a boss, then go NT).

If you really must do it with 5 mobs, I am not sure it's worth 5 NT casts to spread them all out. You might want to do some tests, but I would say NT on 3 or so, throw up maybe a flamestrike, and then make sure you are holding 6 stacks
02/18/2013 04:51 AMPosted by Azüra
Invocation would not apply for Arcane (at least not on live).

Invocation does quite well on live