So bored with destro.....aff help plz.

Warlock
So I was on the verge of shelving my lock bc of sheer boredom with destro, then I discovered affliction which has resparked an interest in my lock. I've only been trying out affliction for 4 days now and am having trouble comprehending some of the rotation priorities

At first my single target dps on the dummy was MUCH lower than with destro. (due to my lack of familiarity with the rotation and play style) I've now gotten it up to about equal . However I feel like I could be doing better.

Destro=38-39k (no havoc used)
Aff = 41-42k now. No 'burn' phase of course.

The rotation as I understand it:
Use CoE- got it
SB:SS apply DoT and keep rolling - got it
Open up with an initial Haunt.
MG filler until %20- got it
<%20 burn phase. Use drain soul, strive for % 100 uptime on Haunt, reapply DoTs with SB:SS- got it.
When exactly to use Haunt btw %100-20 - don't got it.

My problem is I have read varying ways of when to use Haunt btw %100-20 health.
What is the best way and when exactly do I want to Haunt?
There are those that warn very strongly AGAINST overusing haunt btw %100-20.
Do I only use Haunt to prevent capping at 4 shards during %100-20?
I want learn the correct way so I don't develop any early bad habits.

Just a novice at aff and confused with Haunt?

What the deal with this Haunt thing?
Also having MUCH more oom issues than when I was destro?

/Thank you
:)
Let the world's 7th most advanced warlock explain it to you in detail better than most of us can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-RH__DvKJ8
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1179309-Affliction-Warlock-and-Encounter-Specific-Guides
http://evrelia.com/

I too just went back to affl for the first time since LK and leveling as destro. I found that an overuse of haunt and not managing cds/procs properly was KILLING my dps. Use haunt to prevent 4 shards, Keep up sub-20% and when you have trinkd/dark soul. It can be a little more situational at times but that's the basic idea.
The Haunt issue is covered in my post here...

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7802430226
If you think destro is boring, youre not going to fair much better with affi. its even more so.
02/15/2013 04:02 PMPosted by Mönk
If you think destro is boring, youre not going to fair much better with affi. its even more so.

Don't listen to this. Affliction is only boring if it's being played wrong.

As far as haunt is concerned:

Keep track of the stats of your DoTs on the target, and when they are stronger than normal (procs, CDs, Pots) you want to haunt and MG for the full 8 seconds (never cast haunt if you will need to refresh a DoT within 8 seconds).

The only time you want to cast haunt with normal or weak DoTs is if it prevents you from Shard-capping.

Also, remember that Pandemic is more useful if used to extend the duration of procs, instead of making it easier to refresh. Pandemic offers a lot of breathing room when refreshing DoTs, so you can refresh as your stats increase, instead of being a slave to the timer. This is the biggest difference between a good and a bad Afflock.
As far as the mana issue is concerned,

If you have normal strength DoTs on the target, no haunt active, and less than 3 shards, life tap. Avoid situations where you would need to life tap while haunt is active, or while you have stronger than normal DoTs.
Oh please, do inform me of how affliction is so much more entertaining. theyre basically the same spec in the way they play. incinerate and MG are your fillers that you end up casting 80% of the time, destro has 1 dot to keep up and conflag to cast when needed, affi has 3 dots, CB and Haunt are your burn phases. Thats literally all there is. both specs rely heavily on maxing how much damage you can squeeze out of each burn phase. The only thing that affi has thats mildly more interesting is maintaining buffed dots for as long as possible.

Please dont just assume that youre the only person on the warlock forums that knows what theyre talking about. Acting like a pompous @** is just silly.
Oh please, do inform me of how affliction is so much more entertaining. theyre basically the same spec in the way they play. incinerate and MG are your fillers that you end up casting 80% of the time, destro has 1 dot to keep up and conflag to cast when needed, affi has 3 dots, CB and Haunt are your burn phases. Thats literally all there is. both specs rely heavily on maxing how much damage you can squeeze out of each burn phase. The only thing that affi has thats mildly more interesting is maintaining buffed dots for as long as possible.

Please dont just assume that youre the only person on the warlock forums that knows what theyre talking about. Acting like a pompous @** is just silly.

Get more mad over what someone finds enjoyable. You're not angry enough.
02/15/2013 10:12 PMPosted by Mönk
Oh please, do inform me of how affliction is so much more entertaining. theyre basically the same spec in the way they play. incinerate and MG are your fillers that you end up casting 80% of the time, destro has 1 dot to keep up and conflag to cast when needed, affi has 3 dots, CB and Haunt are your burn phases. Thats literally all there is.

Your focus playing aff should be all on *when* you reapply DoTs, not "just keep up DoTs lolggbro"
If you are merely keeping up DoTs, using haunt for burn phases, and filling with MG, you are doing it very, very wrong.
02/15/2013 04:02 PMPosted by Mönk

I agree, altho changing things up keeps things interesting as well.
TY TY TY TY TY TY TY.......ect

The evrelia video pretty much answered every question I had in a concise 10 min video. !!!

I'd like to thank everyone for the links, I visited them all and they were very helpful. I at least now feel like I have a working idea of what I'm supposed to be doing. I still foul up the rotation but at least now I can correct myself and say that was wrong try to improve X.

I tried some RBG's with my aff lock and yikes....... It was pretty bad. I think I will be sticking to my destro lock for BG purposes. However I must add that I'm not a big fan of locks for PvP. I'm just not that good at them or something bc , if I'm allowed to stand back and cast relatively unnoticed then it's OK. As soon as I catch the attention of a melee, it's usu curtains for me.
I have a rogue that I PvP with, and enjoy that more. I know I rambled off topic. I tend to do that sometime. Anywho.

TY for the help. Much appreciate , and made a huge difference.
:)
Shouldn't you open with CoE and Haunt, then the SBSS?

Also, IMO, your talents are wrong for Aff pvp. Try the upgraded minions with SacPact, and replace dark regen with Harvest Life.

Harvest Life+UResolve+a haste CD is pure gold in a bg.

I also prefer Howl to MC, although I preferred having Howl AND DC...
Afflic in RBGS can really take some getting use to. Remember to sit on a few shards. SS:SoC is your bread and butter for getting shards. Keep dots up on main target and the hardswap target. MG kill target, while ccing a healer. Easy as any other class spec. If you want crazy pressure off the bat DS trinket and put dots on everything. Then cc the hell out of the healers. Make sure you save a shard for a SS:SoC. If you are about to die just spam drain soul. If you die while channeling you rez with 4 shards.

I tried mastery> crit stacking and I went back to mast> haste stacking. I am sitting atn10% haste self buffed and when I use DS, trink, herb I have over 50% haste and things seem to just melt. Really can't wait for next patch.
If anyone else reading this thread is also confused with haunt mechanism, I think finally understand the aff game play a little better after about 1 week of practice.

It all boils down to DoTs. And knowing what kind of DoTs are active on your target.
Do u have strong 'buffed' DoTs up?
Or
Do u have normal weaker DoTs up?

Get an addon to help u monitor your int procs.
Not exactly sure if this is proper play, however:
If I get a bunch of procs hitting at once, then I will go ahead and spend a shard just to refresh them all, and cast a haunt and MG.

Thus u should never be wasting your haunts on unbuffed normal DoTs. The only exception is to prevent capping at 4 shards.

Think I'm starting to grasp the major points, now just need exp and practice to learn the finer points of aff locking.
Shouldn't you open with CoE and Haunt, then the SBSS?

Also, IMO, your talents are wrong for Aff pvp. Try the upgraded minions with SacPact, and replace dark regen with Harvest Life.

Harvest Life+UResolve+a haste CD is pure gold in a bg.

I also prefer Howl to MC, although I preferred having Howl AND DC...

Nope GrimSac is more dps than upgraded minions for Aff. Even in upcomin 5.2 it still best talent for Aff. If anything his stats are bad. After hit cap, Mastery>Haste>Crit. Mastery is really low.
Pinochino - are you discussing pvp? Because, well, burning a Grimsac Afflock isn't hard with my build. I still find the options in pvp with a minion out are better than grimsac.
UPDATE:

Been working with it for over a week now and I feel I have a sense of what to do when; however the results just aren't there.

I would like to at least equal the amount of dps I can do when I'm in destro spec.

Test ran both aff and destro on the dummy today to see where I was at and......
My ilvl atm is 475 geared.

With affliction I was pulling about44- 45k dps
With Destro I was sustaining a solid 47k dps.

(FYI with my ilvl 477 assassin rogue I sustain about 58k dps!)

So affliction is still my worst toon and spec for dps, I know my dps should be a good bit higher, but for now I guess I will just pick at affliction on and off for a change of pace spec, at least until that dim lite bulb comes on in my head and I figure out what egregious rotation error I'm obviously making.