Undead Paladins. Why not?

Story Forum
Prev 1 2 3 23 Next
02/18/2013 08:34 AMPosted by Kynrind
Ever been dipped in nitric acid, doused in gasoline and set on fire? That's what it would feel like for a forsaken paladin for every moment of his or her existence. It hurts a LOT and unlike priests, paladins are flooded with holy power 24/7. There isn't a respite from it. They'd also have their senses returned in full so they could feel the maggots burrowing and eating their flesh, taste and smell their rotting body. I doubt that is a very pleasant sensation.

If they really wanted to be a Paladin, it being unpleasant (to say lightly) wouldn't stop them.

Paladin's looove being martyrs.
Sir Zeliak of the Four Horsemen and Leonid Barthalomew.

However, I could see the Forsaken not particularly appreciating the Paladin arts enough to train them. There's room in lore for off class characters (Like the Human Gilnean druid), but for many mixes, there aren't enough to justify the class for players.

Two problems with this: One, Sir Zeliek is a Death Knight. The only reason he is still able to use the light is due to him not having control over his own actions. Kel'Thuzad is in control of all his actions, so him using the Light for evil is not his choice.

Two, Leonid Barthalomew the Revered is a warrior, not a paladin. He has not shown any indication that he can use the light in any way, and there isn't any proof that he was a paladin before he died. The only reason he is called "the Revered" is because of his work to fight the Lich King and the Scourge, and the fact that he sees his undeath as a physical malady, and not an excuse to do evil things for no reason.
02/18/2013 08:15 AMPosted by Grimauna
Sir Zeliak of the Four Horsemen and Leonid Barthalomew.

Sir Zeliak was controlled by the Lich King. He was forced to use his powers and in the words of the CDev, he -really- hates himself. Leonid Barthalomew is just a warrior. Not a paladin.
02/18/2013 08:37 AMPosted by Kynrind
Sir Zeliak was controlled by the Lich King. He was forced to use his powers and in the words of the CDev, he -really- hates himself. Leonid Barthalomew is just a warrior. Not a paladin.

Hmm. Always thought Leonid was, ever since Classic.

And I knew Zeliak was a meat puppet, but he could still use it. So, one. And his life sucks very bad.
Anyone that's not a Broken or Lost One it seems can use The Light due to it being mere willpower.

Benedictus himself stated: "there is only POWER!" He believed that Light was power and as such he could draw this power to it's full extent(even Velen hasn't Light in attack to that extent)!

Even a Lich can use the Light.

Infact it's probably much easier for them then it is for normal Undead since the can switch their Shadow connection with Light connection to the Phylactery.

A normal Undead probably would feel their rotting body at all times and be in pain if they replaced the badly done Shadow link between their bodies and souls with a complete link of Light(something a Light Lich could exploit when creating an army of Undead).
02/17/2013 11:13 PMPosted by Omegalisk
Please don't give me that bs statement, "Undead can't be paladins. The light has left them blah blah." Undead can be priests, hell they can now be monks. Taurens can be Paladins! Undead were humans in life, humans can be paladins.

"Undead can be Paladins! Please don't tell me that they can't, it'll ruin my fantasy."

They can't be Paladins and they will never be able to be Paladins. They were never humans either.
If they really wanted to be a Paladin, it being unpleasant (to say lightly) wouldn't stop them.

It wouldn't just martyr them, they'd be in so much pain that they wouldn't be able to function. It's like being constantly on fire or being doused in fire, but neither of them will kill you. You'll still be "alive" but you'll wish you were dead and you'd be in so much agony you wouldn't be able to do much but writhe and scream.

Not that much. Being in so much pain for the rest of your life is going to make someone insane sooner than later.
You mean as in Scarlet Crusade insane?
Undead Paladins should go through a Twilight theme. Creating something like a purely Shadow spec might lose the aspect that Paladins are only about the light, but since Twilight is a type of corrupted light, the theme could fit perfectly.
So you want to add a Shadow spec to Paladins right?
02/18/2013 10:10 AMPosted by Archpaladin
You mean as in Scarlet Crusade insane?

No, as in "please kill me" insane.
02/18/2013 10:17 AMPosted by Archpaladin
So you want to add a Shadow spec to Paladins right?

Sort of. But as I said, it would still remain with idea of light. Corrupted one, but still light. Shadow is totally opposite, so a pure one might not feel right.

Either way, I don't really see a problem with a Shadow spec there. Paladins are basically Priests in plate armor that learned combat skills. I just think Blizz might consider them a purely "light class" and not add a purely Shadow spec because "it won't fit".
02/18/2013 10:07 AMPosted by Kynrind
Not that much. Being in so much pain for the rest of your life is going to make someone insane sooner than later.

02/18/2013 10:18 AMPosted by Vyrin
No, as in "please kill me" insane.

C'mon, paladins dig noble suffering. The ones I have being disolved by hellfire in my basement are getting a huge thrill about being stoic and unyielding.
C'mon, paladins dig noble suffering. The ones I have being disolved by hellfire in my basement are getting a huge thrill about being stoic and unyielding.

Not to such a degree that they're compromised because of it. That's just self-aggrandizement.
There were undead paladins in Icecrown, they used corrupted paladin attacks. Though Blizzard might simple have screwed up in that regard. I think they were in Scourgeholm.
Though probably the only reason they weren't writing in agony as probably because the Lich King was controlling their every action.
Shadow? Lore states that Forsaken priests are almost exclusively shadow priests. They can be the other two specs in game because of balance.

If that were so, there shouldn't be any NPC Forsaken Holy Priests.

There are.

Muerta, Champion of the Light, for example.
Because if there are any they are too few in number to give them any sort of character selection.

That said, they'd be the most logical race to give 'Paladin' to for the Horde, should Blizzard decide to hand out new classes to each faction once more.
If that were so, there shouldn't be any NPC Forsaken Holy Priests.There are.Muerta, Champion of the Light, for example.

I meant more that it was the norm for them to be shadow. Yes holy priests do exist and have been shown in game. Even old UD priest questing talked a lot about serving the shadow and that our power came from it, but that you needed to learn to wield the light as well.

I always understood it to be that UD Holy priests were the societal exception, much like a Shadow Draenai.
02/18/2013 11:41 AMPosted by Melyria
That said, they'd be the most logical race to give 'Paladin' to for the Horde, should Blizzard decide to hand out new classes to each faction once more.

The Alliance needs another Paladin race before they give another to the Horde.