How are/have you leveled from 85-90 as a tank

Paladin
Just wondering how you guys did it? Instances don't seem to give much xp per run and quests just seem damn slow because you kill so slow. What did you all do?
I leveled from 1-90 as prot. via almost 100% questing. Then again, I didn't know any better and was completely new to the game. I didn't realize that I was dying due to timers on some of the quest fights.

When I switched to ret at level 90 for raiding, I couldn't fathom the amount of damage I took compared to prot. Ha!

(I realize this wasn't much help to your question, just saying I feel your pain.)
What I did was queue in dungeons every once in a while but still did quests. Some of the quest items aren't too shabby even in comparison to the dungeon items.
I leveled 1-85 RET

Im leveling 85-90 PROT.

I have never tanked and decided to try tanking (yes I know glutten for punishment).

It is slower than RET but it's the best way to learn the rotations. Im running dungeons and quests at the same time. It's just a good way to learn.

If anyone needs a Tank and is Patient with a TIT (Tank In Training) I'm on Khadgar. Look me up and we can run some dungeons.
How did you guys level through questing? Killing mobs honestly was slowwwww.

And how does dual spec work now?

I have no boas, and i still destroy mobs while questing as prot.

I have no boas, and i still destroy mobs while questing as prot.

Same here, but if leveling a pally is anything like a warrior, killing mobs while lvling 85-90 is completely different that 50-60. I tried to lvl as prot on my warrior around 86 and it was SOO much slower than either dps spec.
Yeah its slower but not to bad really. Get the quests, corral 4 or so mobs and beat em down and move along.

Mix in the occasional dungeon or two every once in a while and its adds up quite nicely.

If you want to learn to start to tank its really one of the best ways. My advice 1-85 RET 85-90 PROT.
I've leveled as prot for this entire character's existence... I don't know why you say dungeons don't give much XP, because I've found that dungeons actually give the BEST amount of XP. Queues have always been under 30 seconds to a minute for tanks, so it really wasn't that hard.

The only time I wasn't using dungeons and was questing instead was when my level was too low to join any dungeons.
Ret quested with some dungeon runs thrown in for spice. Just tanking dungeons ends up slowing down your progress once you are ~87 at that point go and do all the Shado Pan pre reqs and then off to help our Buggy overlords.
My brother and i rapid fire qued with him on his disc priest basically pulling everything to right before the boss and aoeing it down.
Pull more during your questing; pretend you're speeding through a dungeon. Vengeance racks up quickly enough to make you pretend the other 3 DPS are there.
02/19/2013 02:29 PMPosted by Meowshaolin

You need to pull more mobs, pretty much. If killing's going slow, and your health pool ain't dropping, you haven't pulled enough mobs. Vengeance will take care of you.
from 15-85 i soloed instances. then from 85-90 just quested. remember as prot you can tank 5-6+ mobs at a time so killing mobs for questing shouldn't take long at all
85-90 tank is so easy a cave man can do it... very high survivability, can take on multiple enemy's and 0 down time... i actually did 89-90 faster on prot, then 88-89 as a ret.
89-90 in dreadwaste is almost too easy once you get the klaxxi enhancements. Grab a huge amount of mobs and prosper. Before that it takes time but the more you grab the better it gets...just use your tanking cds and do as much AOE as you can...