Random dungeon queues my !@#.

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
Can I say !@# on the boards? If not, my bad. But alright, this has been bothering the crap out of me. I've been leveling this Warrior up for the past week pretty hard, and I've noticed that since I got to TBC content, the random dungeons aren't random at all. I get the same ones time, and time again. Back to back. It's frustrating because if I enter a new dungeon as my Warrior, and I pick up all the quests, finish the dungeon, AND turn them all in, I get almost halfway through a level. So for every couple of dungeons I was doing, and a few meantime quests, I would level. And that was working out PERFECTLY because usually I'd get a new dungeon unlocked every time I leveled. Well that whole plan stopped as soon as I started getting Slave Pens probably 3 times in a row. Okay, I thought. It happens. I continued questing and when I started queuing up again, I got CoT: Escape From Durnhold literally 6 times in a row. After the second one, I'd leave group as soon as I saw what instance I was in, and wait the 30 minutes for a chance to get a new dungeon. Now, here I am playing WotLK content. And I have got Utgarde Keep, 8 WHOLE TIMES IN A ROW! Do I just have bad luck or wtf? I know there's other available dungeons. Or if there isn't right now, there was before during TBC content.

So my question is, how does the whole random thing work, if it never changes which dungeon they drop you in?
Partially bad luck, dungeon finder will try to not put you in the same thing twice in a row.

But if everyone at a particular level is going in the queue for those dungeons specifically (which is the best way to knock out dungeon quests), then you'll get put in them to complete the group.

At 81 you'll get a bunch of Azjol-Nerub, then Old Kingdom/Drak'tharon, etc, etc, etc.
it's mostly just uncertain, not uniformly-distributed "random".

if people queue specific dungeons, the random queue may use you to fill their specific dungeons.

if people queue random but their level only allows them to do 1 dungeon, and your level allows you to do that dungeon plus more, the random queue may match you with them and then your only option is their 1 dungeon. this often happens with the lower limit for expansions, i.e. Hellfire Ramparts, Utgarde Keep.
That's all coming from dungeon level ranges. Utgarde Keep starts at Level 68. Nexus doesn't start until 69. Even if you're 69 or 70, you have a high chance of getting UK when there's a lot of 68s queuing.

Random dungeons don't really mean statistically random, as Moresunders notes, just that you don't get to choose. Often, they're grouped off too... I believe you may actually be joining "Random Lich King Dungeon" instead of a more universal "Random Dungeon," which is why you're getting UK and not any of the higher TBC dungeons.
you can queue specifically if you don't want random
If you want random, stop crying it's too random

You can flip a coin and get heads twice in a row, that doesnt make it not random.
02/15/2013 10:59 AMPosted by Recreant
ow, here I am playing WotLK content. And I have got Utgarde Keep, 8 WHOLE TIMES IN A ROW! Do I just have bad luck or wtf?

Each dungeon has a level attached to it (ie: UK = 70, Nexus = 71, AN = 72... etc.) Random queue doesn't drop you to dungeon higher than your level... ie: if you are 70, it won't drop you to Nexus since it's 71, so you only stuck with UK until you level up...

You can still specific queue for Nexus or AN at 70 though...
02/15/2013 01:24 PMPosted by Slyver
That's all coming from dungeon level ranges. Utgarde Keep starts at Level 68. Nexus doesn't start until 69. Even if you're 69 or 70, you have a high chance of getting UK when there's a lot of 68s queuing.

This is a big part of it. If you hover over the dice icon on the "random wrath dungeon" screen (were it shows the rewards) it will tell you what dungeons hitting random will give you access too. There are quite a few spots while leveling, especially when switching expansions, that you'll have only one dungeon to choose from. Unlike when you are at level cap and have a bigger pool (heroics). You'll still see repeats for sure but you have a higher chance of not getting the same dungeon when the pool is larger. As people said at 68, it's just UK for Wrath dungeons.
I prefer to random queue for the extra XP I receive. And I've been 71, and not getting Nexus or anything else for that matter. It's just frustrating, not trying to QQ but I'm just genuinely curious.