Details Regarding Mac OS X 10.6 Support

Mac Technical Support
Post Limit:
Prev 1 2 3 6 Next
Advance notice? 2 weeks notice for a change that will require many players to buy a new computer?

Blizzard is showing their customary display of respect for its customers.

This has actually been hinted at for quite a few months now. Since November at least. And as much as many might want to blame Blizzard, it isn't really on them - they can only support the two current OS revisions that are actively updated by Apple, since any lack of updates by them means Blizzard has no foundation on which to build any bug fixes or workarounds.

The reason Windows XP still gets support is because it's still actively patched and updated by nearly all manufacturers since it's still the dominant operating system. Over time though it will fade as will 10.6.8.

Diablo III worked like crap on my Mac and I had to pay for it with a one year WoW subscription that I won't be able to use.

Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, nothing requires me to update from 10.6 except for pandas?

I'd pretend that it was easy to just say f*** off I'm outta here, but I've been playing from the very beginning. On a Mac.

You guys suck. You really do.
02/25/2013 06:52 PMPosted by Athôs
Advance notice? 2 weeks notice for a change that will require many players to buy a new computer?

Please go back and re-read post # 4 :

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7923843811?page=1#4

https://twitter.com/bluspacecow
Also, the Mist of Pandaria system requirements have always been Mac OS X 10.7 and above: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/minimum-system-requirements-for-world-of-warcraft

So, this isn't a real change in system requirements. Just like in 4.x where Blizzard stated Windows 2000 wouldn't run anymore. The system requirements were already XP and above.

It is just Apple puts out operating systems faster and faster now.
https://www.change.org/petitions/apple-os-x-10-9-support-opengl-4-3-and-zfs

Apple is forcing us to upgrade every year now, the least they can do is include something WORTH upgrading for. 10.8 offered nothing for gaming, just iOS features. 10.7 full openGL 3.2 (although to be fair 10.6 was supposed to do this and they never finished it, just got 22/23 opengl 3.0 spec in 10.6.3+).
https://www.change.org/petitions/apple-os-x-10-9-support-opengl-4-3-and-zfs

Apple is forcing us to upgrade every year now, the least they can do is include something WORTH upgrading for. 10.8 offered nothing for gaming, just iOS features. 10.7 full openGL 3.2 (although to be fair 10.6 was supposed to do this and they never finished it, just got 22/23 opengl 3.0 spec in 10.6.3+).

and the realy sad part is OpenGL 3.2 is form 2009 apple use to keep up in tell it when IOS
Is there a way to turn off this notification? I'm a freelance graphic designer and caricature artist and rely on Photoshop (and to a lesser extent, my scanner and several other Power PC programs) for my business, but because I'm self-employed I haven't been able to afford the new stuff—hence making upgrading from 10.6.8 a losing proposition. I've been scrimping pennies where I can (short of canceling my subscription and saving the $15 a month, I suppose that's next on the list) but if that screen pops up every time I open the game, that's going to start making me really frustrated :|

I totally get that many people will need the reminder but I live constantly with the reminder that I'm not as well-off as I used to be and I would prefer not to get that reminder every day in the form of an explicit, unremovable text box.
So are there any significant performance issues know to running 5.2 on 10.6 (yeah I know the servers may not even be up as of this posting). My wife's computer is still on 10.6 and while I think everything that was 10.6 reliant is no longer an issue on her machine I am not 100% sure. I am trying to get some estimate of the timeline that she will need to deal with if she decided to upgrade past 10.6.
One can upgrade OS for like $20 so it's not that big of a deal..geez windows is like $100 so c'mon.
03/05/2013 12:22 PMPosted by Uthill
One can upgrade OS for like $20 so it's not that big of a deal..geez windows is like $100 so c'mon.

I actually already own the new versions of the OS. It's the secondary programs that I use in my job—Epson scanner drivers, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash—that are the driving force behind my inability to upgrade. Those aren't $20; those are $600.
Give it to me straight, doc. How long do I have? 5.2a? 5.3?
I actually already own the new versions of the OS. It's the secondary programs that I use in my job—Epson scanner drivers, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash—that are the driving force behind my inability to upgrade. Those aren't $20; those are $600.

The driving force behind my not "upgrading" is some questionable usability decisions which seem to hinge on a single engineer's vision of the "way forward" (see how "Save As" works as a good example) and if you disagree or have expectations built up since, oh, say, the days of WordStar, you're stupid and wrong and deserve to go sit in the Corner of Shame.
Dear Blizz,
Please let us know when 10.6 will not be playable.

Thank you.

P.S. Please don't wait until two weeks before as you did with 10.5. We would like to plan.

Now, as for some of the rest of you. I call BS. Your Mac is several years old and still fully functional. Yes, 10.7 is $20. The hardware needed for many of us is over $1000. Not in the budget.
We were warned when MOP claimed 10.7 as a minimum. Yes. We were. So that's it then? We were also told that 10.6 would work for quite a while. Of course, no real time line was given. Again, THAT would have been effective communication, not just 'you should really get 10.7'.

Again, that new computer needed thing. Don't give me cheap mac min either. Yeah, they are actually decent machines but most of us need a tad more.

So, one day I shall log in and find I can no longer play. I know that no matter what I say or do there will be no real notice. Just a 'hey, in a week or two life will suck for you, deal with it.' Thankfully I have a bootcamp partition running Windows.

Oh, Apple's official support map still has 10.6 AND 10.5 on it. Microsoft stopped officially supporting XP some time ago. Oh, critical updates are occasionally released. Yes. All in the wording I guess.

More of the same. Apple support from Blizz has been shoddy since day one.

And yes, now that I have spoken up I'll have some surly dwarf up in arms here...
This is so messed up! I have to spend 20 dollars on a new system upgrade? Just so I can play Thunder king! I just got on all excited to play and I see this crap pop up on my screen, I was so excited to play the new patch and now I can't because it lags and skips and its upsetting. Now I'm actually angry at you blizzard, Why?
03/05/2013 05:18 PMPosted by Soulsinger

The driving force behind my not "upgrading" is some questionable usability decisions which seem to hinge on a single engineer's vision of the "way forward" (see how "Save As" works as a good example) and if you disagree or have expectations built up since, oh, say, the days of WordStar, you're stupid and wrong and deserve to go sit in the Corner of Shame.

I uh... feel like I'm missing something. Did my quoted post and your response have something connecting them that I'm too dumb to "get"? :x
I uh... feel like I'm missing something. Did my quoted post and your response have something connecting them that I'm too dumb to "get"? :x

He's stating his reason for not upgrading just as you stated your reason for not upgrading. Different reasons, same end result.

Not dumb. :P

Ties to the theme of "the march towards iOS isn't always the best choice for a lot of us." Artists and other professional media users are hosed by compatibility issues. As a developer and a support person, changes in the basic behavior and the increasing "hey let's hide the filesystem" bandwagon are a logistical and performance nightmare. I appreciate the iPad makes an unimaginable amount of money, but my MBP isn't just a big iPad and you can't decide by fiat to apply aesthetic UI and system architecture decisions to it the same way.

Of course...*gulp*...Apple is terrible at knowing what they're bad at....
Oh okay, haha. As much as I try to stay away from the forums for all its vitriol, sometimes I end up reading things on the non-general forum in a tone that seems more suited towards the general forum (minor offtopic anecdote: there was a guy on one of the servers I played on who intentionally obfuscated everything he ever said—talked in these huge, grand circles of esoteric honkeydoodle—specifically so that when people didn't get his meaning he could call them "simple" and it was alternately the most hilarious and infuriating thing because you could never EVER use trade chat for trading cos he was constantly stirring the pot) so I wasn't sure :x

I don't know. I understand the reason for not supporting the OS anymore, but I wish Apple and Blizzard together could, I dunno, team up and actually fix some of the problems instead of making the UI more """""pretty""""".

(quadruple quotation marks because oh my god every iTunes that comes out is worse than the last, I have to go look up how to downgrade my iPod's firmware because audiobooks aren't playing properly and my D3 soundtrack sounds like it's being played through a tin can across the house and ugh)

Anyway I'm veering dangerously off-topic, sorry :( Original request/question reiterated for clarity: is there a way to turn off the "your OS is no longer supported" box when you start up the game? It really, really makes me mad.
BLIZZ - sunsetting 10.6 is much more "epochal" than sunsetting 10.5/PPC.
Because 10.6 is the last OS that supports Rosetta, losing that breaks a lot of expensive and perfectly good HARDWARE: plotters, big scanners etc. which depend on drivers which require Rosetta.

FOLKS - there are one of two workarounds depending on how you use your applications. I've done Plan A and it's a complete productivity kill because you can't dual-window anymore. Well you can but only for browsers etc.

Plan A:
1. Buy a USB stick big enough for just the OS. (32GB should do)
2. Install 10.8 onto it.
3. Hold down Option while rebooting, and choose that drive.
4. Browse to where your WoW is already installed, and double click "WOW launcher".

Plan B:
1. Buy a USB stick big enough for the OS and 10.6-dependent drivers and apps.
2. Install 10.6 onto it.
3. Install all your 10.6-dependent drivers and apps.
4. Option-reboot into it to use that stuff.

ADOBE USERS: Two ways to upgrade to CS6.
Plan A. Rent it for $49/month via Adobe Creative Cloud.
Plan B. Hit the library and get the book on starting a nonprofit. Do all the paperwork and pay the fees (around $350, once). Keep it simple and small and get a fast approval. (takes a few months) Register on Techsoup.org. Get CS6 for $150, for keeps. Do good work :)