Tuesday Question: Alts

Saurfang
(*Posted on an alt)

Here at Torchsong Towers, alts are serious business, because behind every great character, there is always an army of alts, working madly to either support the main character(s) with professions and wotnot, or to help generate gold to keep the main character(s) in consumables and nifty enchants.

The more sterile definition of an alt, for those new to the MMORPG lingua franca, or just new to World of Warcraft, is provided courtesy of WoWWiki:

"Alt is an abbreviation for alternate character, or alter-ego. Virtually all MMORPGs permit a player to create more than one player character on his or her account. An alt is a character to which a person devotes less time and effort than the person's main character. "

And these alter-egos serve numerous functions, to hold all your stuffs, to be thrown headfirst into the exciting and bloodthirsty world of the PVP twink, to be heaved into the equally bloodthirsty world of Auction House speculating and so on. Some players are also just mad about creating alts, across classes and factions, either keeping their alts close to home, or scattered amongst other realms.

I must admit, at this juncture, that I am frugal with my Alts, seldom is an alt created on a whim, most are created with a specific function in mind. Most of them I get to maximum level when it's possible, to get the full benefit of their class or profession. Over the span of years played, my alts, all of them on this realm, have built a perfectly functional and very smooth running war machine. All professions are covered, all resources and materials of war are managed and funneled to where they need to be, and every so often I even manage to make a profit, to either go into "hard savings" or for use in the operational budget. And I am oft to wonder if other players are doing the same.

So are you alt-happy? Or are you a "main and nothing else" sort of person? What do you use your alts for?

Tell us your story.
02/19/2013 06:09 PMPosted by Comets
What do you use your alts for?

Farming a large loop like pattern across pandaria whilst im clearly at the key board.
Hi i am Tahkia and i am best pally in world
02/19/2013 10:03 PMPosted by Tahkia
Hi i am Tahkia and i am best pally in world

We share the same syndrome.