pet move speed needs a buff for pve

Hunter
Post Limit:
especially for fights like will and elegon where your having your pet jump around alot to help on adds, events, boss targets, even more so when your carrying your team mates dps as well >>

i wish dash was perma on for pve would make things alot simpler. even with good macros theres just way too much down time with pet travel/retargeting.
It would be awesome, though it would be hard to implement something in pve that couldn't be used in pvp.
I'm lazy atm but I can't think of anything :x
what about an instance aura that only affects pets, this way there would still be a use for specing into blink strike
Dash
Increases pet movement speed by 80% until they take direct damage from players, in which case a 3 minute cooldown is incurred.
do you really think i dont know about dash, and its about a 20s cooldown. this still doesnt fix the issue of a add heavy fight with alot of travel time. if you need your pet for damage its lose lose no matter how you try to work around it. the burden of pet micro will always be less viable then playing a less pet reliant spec.

of course when you do that you have to target juggle black arrow so you can spam explosive shots which is just as much of a headache. especially if you need to go far out of range of your BA target to get to your adds. so you wind up having to save your CD and still losing dps
Remedies are in the game, e.g., Dash, Charge and Blink Strike. Just because some do not spec in to them or use them does not mean it is a fail mechanic.

Do not expect blizz to change pets to make up for players who can't dps enough (you mentioned carrying folks, so your issue is your team, not the mechanics of pets)
Remedies are in the game, e.g., Dash, Charge and Blink Strike. Just because some do not spec in to them or use them does not mean it is a fail mechanic.

Do not expect blizz to change pets to make up for players who can't dps enough (you mentioned carrying folks, so your issue is your team, not the mechanics of pets)

those are not remedies, those are talents and abilities. A hunter should not have to spec a certain talent to keep his pet on a mob. For example what if mele classes had to spec a certain sword ability to do damage because a mob is non corporeal. Would that be a fail mechanic, or game working as intended? Of course it's fail. No one intends mele to have to spec into a talent to be able to hit ghosts, or spirit mobs. Same should be true for hunters. Why should we be forced to spec blink just to keep our pets on mobs or adds???
02/15/2013 04:47 AMPosted by Crotalus

Plus..there is always the argument that fight fight may be better for SV/MM, who are less reliant on pet uptime...

02/15/2013 10:07 AMPosted by Skills
Why should we be forced to spec blink just to keep our pets on mobs or adds???
In most cases, they stay on mobs fairly well, its target swaps that are the issue, not keeping on a (PVE) target.
The other problem with dash is it costs focus. Given that pets tend to be fairly tight on focus these days, it's really pointless to use dash in PvE because you would have to have the pet stop casting their specials long enough to save focus for it.

If your pet needs to swap targets a lot on a fight, blink strike is a better solution to the problem. I used to use it on Elegon when we were learning the fight. It doesn't work very well on heroic Elegon though because of LOS issues.
02/15/2013 10:11 AMPosted by Verdash

Plus..there is always the argument that fight fight may be better for SV/MM, who are less reliant on pet uptime...

Why should we be forced to spec blink just to keep our pets on mobs or adds???
In most cases, they stay on mobs fairly well, its target swaps that are the issue, not keeping on a (PVE) target.

first off please dont take a partial statement and scapegoat the whole argument. secondly this doesnt fix the scenario where you have to blink between targets every few seconds blink strike is not a silver bullet here. blink strike is also a very inelegant solution as well as a overall dps loss for what should be a functional aid.

lastly the "play another spec" argument isnt a solution either its just another scapegoat especially since no spec should be less viable then the other spec especially if the issue is a quality of life one.

first off please dont take a partial statement and scapegoat the whole argument. secondly this doesnt fix the scenario where you have to blink between targets every few seconds blink strike is not a silver bullet here. blink strike is also a very inelegant solution as well as a overall dps loss for what should be a functional aid.

lastly the "play another spec" argument isnt a solution either its just another scapegoat especially since no spec should be less viable then the other spec especially if the issue is a quality of life one.

1) Stop being angry
2) Even on Will (when you don't park your pet on the boss), KC goes a long way by itself to keep pets on the target. My only point was the fight might be better suited to a different spec. BM can handle spec swap fights, just not as well as SV.
3) Blink Strike is an option to further alleviate the problem, not a "silver bullet".

Specifically on Elegon - No clue if you are speaking about Heroic or Normal, but on Normal, I have no issues on Elegon as BM. Sparks die close to the boss, and I even swap to Protectors. The key part of the fight is the balls (who spawn right next to the boss) and phase 3, which has a stationary boss.

BM is fine on Elegon.

Edit: The issue isn't that target swaps make BM less viable (BM is still viable). It does make it less optimal, which is why you see SV being better on fights like Will, which isn't an AOE fight. It isn't to the point where you can't do it as BM, but if specs didn't have their strengths, why even have them?
I did not scapegoat the whole argument. I gave you in game solutions to your problem. You're welcome.
you guys both straw man the whole argument because out of the 3 examples i gave i mentioned the case where you need to pick up the slack of another player. that and you contributed to the discussion under the assumption that blink strike and dash were not considered/used/evaluated in the original examples.

saying something exists doesnt really contribute or prove that problem doesnt.
you guys both straw man the whole argument because out of the 3 examples i gave i mentioned the case where you need to pick up the slack of another player. that and you contributed to the discussion under the assumption that blink strike and dash were not considered/used/evaluated in the original examples.

saying something exists doesnt really contribute or prove that problem doesnt.

Classes, and specs, have weaknesses. For BM, its target swaps (specifically, frequent ones with pet travel time). You can alleviate said weaknesses usually (i.e. glyphs, talents, and in Lock/Hunter cases, specific pets), but never really remove he weakness.

So, no one is saying it isn't a problem, just that it is a problem by design.

Now, if you are referring to MM/SV pet travel time.
1) It is a class weakness, just a bigger weakness for BM specifically (who gets 1 spec specific tool to alleviate it slightly).
2) You have 2 options, regardless of class spec, to alleviate the problem. Even if AMoC is net higher damage, if using Blink Strike raises your overall damage (which it probably wouldn't except for maybe BM vs Will, or PVP), it is the better choice.
3) MM/SV is not as reliant on pet uptime. This is basically #1 reiterated.
this is where we disagree saying that this is "by design" ie intentional doesnt prove that a buff isnt needed. to create an intentional dps loss there needs to be a justification.

in pvp that justification exists because the developers have a need to reign in free dps and cc output as outliers of a contest, in order to keep the hunter engaged in a fight where he has the same amount of risk as his opponent.

in pve that argument doesnt exist. is there a reason for a mage to have one hand tied behind his back? the same can be said for a hunter. unless an alternative mechanic to target swaping exists during a fight then hunters are auto gimped and thus lose opportunities to be desired for a raid comp. this is bad design period not by design.

this also extends to the variety of raid encounters that can be designed because the more flaws between class roles exist the more limited your design choices become because at the end of the day the fights you create overall have less of an enjoyment factor for fewer raiders then you possibly could have created.
02/16/2013 10:49 AMPosted by Endl
in pve that argument doesnt exist. is there a reason for a mage to have one hand tied behind his back? the same can be said for a hunter. unless an alternative mechanic to target swaping exists during a fight then hunters are auto gimped and thus lose opportunities to be desired for a raid comp. this is bad design period not by design.

Every class/spec in the game is impacted by target swaps differently. See Rogues, target swaps, when Redirect isn't up, can be vary detrimental.

See Arcane Mages, their ramp up is mostly on them, target swaps don't bother them nearly as much as rogues, not to mention the melee vs range component.