High elves getting way to much face time.

Story Forum
02/17/2013 07:28 AMPosted by Dorcy
Have the High Elves really gotten anymore face time than the Tuskarr, Murlocs, Jinyuu or Hozen? This seems like a case of selective complaining.

Pretty much.

If you are going to complain about "stuff taken away from the playable races", how about complaining about Pandaland? If you didn't realize, this whole expansion has been about that and nothing else. The so-called all out war are a handful of battles that I can count with my fingers.

Alliance players have been clamoring for the return of Alleria and Turalyon since they turned out to be no-shows in TBC. That was six years ago.

Metzen said they would finally return in the next expansion and the crowd was pleased to hear it. After all that waiting, all that anticipation... they're not going to scrap her story just because you don't like high elves.

Hopefully because they're going to be playable next expansion. If turns out they don't become playable, I will be really pissed. Making High Elves appear everywhere, being a meaningful force of the Alliance just to "oh no, we never wanted to make them playable, we just thought it would be cool to shove a race you will never going to be able to play in your faces, y'know?". That's a typical twitter dev comment.
Have the High Elves really gotten anymore face time than the Tuskarr, Murlocs, Jinyuu or Hozen? This seems like a case of selective complaining.

Pretty much.

If you are going to complain about "stuff taken away from the playable races", how about complaining about Pandaland? If you didn't realize, this whole expansion has been about that and nothing else. The so-called all out war are a handful of battles that I can count with my fingers.

Alliance players have been clamoring for the return of Alleria and Turalyon since they turned out to be no-shows in TBC. That was six years ago.

Metzen said they would finally return in the next expansion and the crowd was pleased to hear it. After all that waiting, all that anticipation... they're not going to scrap her story just because you don't like high elves.

Hopefully because they're going to be playable next expansion. If turns out they don't become playable, I will be really pissed. Making High Elves appear everywhere, being a meaningful force of the Alliance just to "oh no, we never wanted to make them playable, we just thought it would be cool to shove a race you will never going to be able to play in your faces, y'know?". That's a typical twitter dev comment.

I do feel like they should have been a playable race by using Northaeron (Area next to ghostlands) The only reason I don't think them being a sub race of humans is that then their would be "Blood Elves" with OP racials and that could really hurt the horde Population.. Why play a horde blood elf when I can play an alliance High elf and get an OP pvp racial.
02/17/2013 01:54 PMPosted by Darmonic
I do feel like they should have been a playable race by using Northaeron (Area next to ghostlands) The only reason I don't think them being a sub race of humans is that then their would be "Blood Elves" with OP racials and that could really hurt the horde Population.. Why play a horde blood elf when I can play an alliance High elf and get an OP pvp racial.

Yeah, I think we can agree giving humans a "high elf" skin is not the way to go.

Now, I still pretty much expect high elves to be the next Alliance race, owing to the fact that a 7 year old post from a community manager that no longer works at Blizzard probably doesn't hold too much weight in current decision making and with the population sizes this game has it can actually support a pretty heavy population imbalance. But we'll see.
02/17/2013 07:28 AMPosted by Dorcy

Yes. Much, much more.

Hell, the High Elves have gotten more face time than the Draenei, Worgen and Gnomes combined.

That's a huge problem.
02/17/2013 03:00 PMPosted by Kellick

Yes. Much, much more.

Hell, the High Elves have gotten more face time than the Draenei, Worgen and Gnomes combined.

That's a huge problem.

Really? Because Draenei alone have more face time with two entire zones dedicated to their story, plus a semi-regular presence throughout Azeroth. High Elves have shown up as NPC quest givers in the Argent Tournament, were NPC quest givers for all of five minutes in patch 5.2, and have been killable quest mobs in about 3 quests so far. Oh, and they're slated to be npc quest givers in 5.3...

I'm thinking that you're looking at current events and losing perspective.

Really? Because Draenei alone have more face time with two entire zones dedicated to their story, plus a semi-regular presence throughout Azeroth. High Elves have shown up as NPC quest givers in the Argent Tournament, were NPC quest givers for all of five minutes in patch 5.2, and have been killable quest mobs in about 3 quests so far. Oh, and they're slated to be npc quest givers in 5.3...

I'm thinking that you're looking at current events and losing perspective.

In 5.2 PTR (Thunder King), a Helf hero flies me to the Helf fleet led by Jaina. Then with the help of a Helf airforce and Helf NPC helpers I make a Helf city.

The "Alliance" is 5.2 is like 90% Helfs, 10% Kirin tor mages.
In 5.2 PTR (Thunder King), a Helf hero flies me to the Helf fleet led by Jaina. Then with the help of a Helf airforce and Helf NPC helpers I make a Helf city.

The "Alliance" is 5.2 is like 90% Helfs, 10% Kirin tor mages.

Okay, well if we add one Helf encamptment as part of the Kirin Tor Offensive to the Silver Covenant Enclave, and ignore that it's probably the same people in both of them. I'm still pretty sure a capital city and two zones worth of quests is more face time.

But I will admit, this definitely pushes them past Jinyuu and takes them all the way into Taunka levels of face time.

Okay, well if we add one Helf encamptment as part of the Kirin Tor Offensive to the Silver Covenant Enclave, and ignore that it's probably the same people in both of them. I'm still pretty sure a capital city and two zones worth of quests is more face time.

But I will admit, this definitely pushes them past Jinyuu and takes them all the way into Taunka levels of face time.

Also, I think the above poster was arguing that in MoP Helfs have had more facetime than Draenei+Worgen+Gnomes. If you count every single NPC on Pandaria...there are more Helfs than all those. :D

P.S. I hate Helfs and hope they all become wretched.
Also, I think the above poster was arguing that in MoP Helfs have had more facetime than Draenei+Worgen+Gnomes.

P.S. I hate Helfs and hope they all become wretched.

Ah well, okay sure, to date in MoP, because of the importance of the Jaina Proudmore character, the Kirin Tor faction and its relationship to the Blood Elf people, the Half Elves of the Silver Covenant have gotten more face time.

But since there's really no way to throw Draenei, Worgen or Gnomes into the place of the Silver Covenant for that part of the story.... there's nothing to be done.
I'd rather them introduce Half Elves as playable instead of High Elves... Even though Half Elves aren't mentioned at all anywhere. Oh well. Dreamer.
02/17/2013 04:15 PMPosted by Earthgrab
I'd rather them introduce Half Elves as playable instead of High Elves... Even though Half Elves aren't mentioned at all anywhere. Oh well. Dreamer.

NO

LIGHT NO!!!
02/17/2013 01:54 PMPosted by Darmonic

I think this whole idea of High Elves as a sub is stupid by itself. They're as much as a sub race from Humans as Orcs or Trolls. That's the kind of stuff I'm certain Blizz wouldn't ever do because it "just doesn't feel right", as they say. If something, they will be the same as Blood Elves, but with blue eyes or have their own racials, being completely separated from Blood Elves.

About population, I think that's not as simple as that. We have just Blood Elves on the Horde but even thought there are a bunch of servers filled with Horde but barely any Alliance. The other way around happens too. I think the Cross-Realm Zones were made to fix these issues. Blizz would just need to improve communication between servers. Right now, it just doesn't feel nice. There should be a 'x-realm chat' on every zone, specially on main cities.

02/17/2013 02:52 PMPosted by Dorcy
owing to the fact that a 7 year old post from a community manager that no longer works at Blizzard probably doesn't hold too much weight in current decision making

If you didn't mean a different post, the one I think you're talking about quite fails to address the current situation of High Elves. The poster talked about High Elves as if they were random, scattered individials that, for some reason, kept the name of High Elves, the kind of "race" that wouldn't ever be able to be organized. Totally contradicts what happened in Wrath, along with the plot development from Theron's short story and 5.1/5.2.
High Elves shouldn't be a sub race of humans that is sort of dumb. If they were to do sub races it could work if

High Elves were Alliance

Ogres were Horde

Human Sub race would be Half Elf

Orc Sub race would be Half Orc/Half Ogre like Rexxar

Just that assuming if those two races were the next playable.
02/17/2013 06:22 PMPosted by Gollard
Ogres were Horde

Nobody wants Ogres.

They bring nothing to the Horde that isn't already in the Horde. Ogres should occupy the same place that High Elves occupy in the Alliance right now - A non-playable race that's a part of your faction, and that you interact with. That's it.
02/17/2013 06:42 PMPosted by Veloran
Ogres were Horde

Nobody wants Ogres.

They bring nothing to the Horde that isn't already in the Horde. Ogres should occupy the same place that High Elves occupy in the Alliance right now - A non-playable race that's a part of your faction, and that you interact with. That's it.

Uhh that's blatently wrong. I have seen many people asking for Ogres in the Horde. The Stonemaul clan that is TECHNICALLY part of the Horde but isn't in the spotlight could be that or heck something related to Ogrilia. Heck even I would support it. So you are very wrong in saying nobody wants Ogres in the Horde.
Nobody wants Ogres.

I guess someone just read a certain topic about ogres...

Just to add, Pandaren didn't bring anything either. There were Human Monks before in the Scarlet Crusade, but were never taken seriously, and everything else that was added by Pandaren already exists on both factions. So, why were they added? Besides the fact the expansion is in Pandaria, I still have to see what Pandarens add to the Alliance and Horde besides being a 'different type of cannon fodder'.
02/17/2013 11:44 AMPosted by Osiria
Hopefully because they're going to be playable next expansion. If turns out they don't become playable, I will be really pissed. Making High Elves appear everywhere, being a meaningful force of the Alliance just to "oh no, we never wanted to make them playable, we just thought it would be cool to shove a race you will never going to be able to play in your faces, y'know?".

That would be pretty depressing, I agree. Building up a race that much, then going "psych!"

02/17/2013 06:22 PMPosted by Gollard
Human Sub race would be Half Elf

I've always been a big supporter of sub-races. And better character customization. The ability to change your characters height, build, and more choices for hair color. FTPs can do it. It would be no problem for Blizzard.
02/17/2013 06:54 PMPosted by Osiria
Just to add, Pandaren didn't bring anything either. There were Human Monks before in the Scarlet Crusade, but were never taken seriously, and everything else that was added by Pandaren already exists on both factions. So, why were they added? Besides the fact the expansion is in Pandaria, I still have to see what Pandarens add to the Alliance and Horde besides being a 'different type of cannon fodder'.

The Pandaren provide much needed fat jokes.

Which is another thing we no longer need Ogres for.
02/17/2013 06:46 PMPosted by Aeluron
Uhh that's blatently wrong. I have seen many people asking for Ogres in the Horde. The Stonemaul clan that is TECHNICALLY part of the Horde but isn't in the spotlight could be that or heck something related to Ogrilia. Heck even I would support it. So you are very wrong in saying nobody wants Ogres in the Horde.

Perhaps I should be more specific - It makes no sense to want Ogres. Like I said, everything that the Ogres could bring to the Horde, is already in the Horde. We have multiple races of strong, deadly brutes, we have multiple races of magically-inclined spellcasters, and both the Goblins and (to a somewhat lesser extent) the Pandaren fufill the "comic relief" role.
Perhaps I should be more specific - It makes no sense to want Ogres. Like I said, everything that the Ogres could bring to the Horde, is already in the Horde. We have multiple races of strong, deadly brutes, we have multiple races of magically-inclined spellcasters, and both the Goblins and (to a somewhat lesser extent) the Pandaren fufill the "comic relief" role.

Yes yes, we've heard it all before, every individual trait that could represent Ogres is held by other races too.

But, not in the same proportions. Only Ogres have a perfect mix of brutish stupidity, spell casting ingenuity and belly size. Sure, you can eat a banana, you can have a few scoops of icecream, you can pour chocolate syrup down your throat and then suck on a battle of whipped cream, but if what you really want is a banana split, that ain't gonna cut it.