Healing Challenage mode

Shaman
How can I improve on healing challenage modes? Any tips or Tricks?
I know when I ran them one thing that helped our healer was : Restorative Amber

Kept his down time to a minimum when he needed to refill his mana. Partly because the tooltip is wrong, your hp/mp is restored in 10 seconds instead of the listed 20 (unless it's been fixed).

As for specific healing tips, sorry I can't be much help. :(
"Cook" a lot of heals (pre-cast them) and learn how to maximize your healing cooldowns with each dungeon/pull.

Don't let them blame wipes on you if you know there are things that aren't being interrupted/mechanics that aren't being avoided.

DPS with all of your downtime

Be wary of your mana
I actually haven't done too much challenge mode healing even though it's my main spec because ele is so desirable and disc priests and druids have an advantage in dmg.

But anyway: I do not find healing challenge modes to be difficult with a skilled tank. My mana pool scaled down is more than large enough. You'll find that you're using your major CDs on trash rather than bosses for the most part. If the tank is dying faster than you can heal, then they need to kite. I do use my capacitor totem as a healing cd (must use with totemic projection) coordinated with other stuns from my group. My other favorite totem for keeping tanks alive is spirit link. A well placed interrupt saves you much healing as well. When your interrupt is on cd you can use hex or bind elemental as an interrupt.

Restorative amber is a must.
I just guess I need more practise on just healing in general. It really sucked and it was my first time stepping into challenge modes. Plus they want gold. I would be happy with sliver since I dislike the CM shaman set.
The problem may or may not be with you. What kind of things were they faulting you with?

You'll want to put int gems in your pants, chest, and shoulders. You don't want to miss out on those int bonuses! The budget for int to spirit is 2 spirit=1 int, so you don't want to miss out on that much int for those spirit gems that you have in the wrong-color sockets. This is true for both raiding and CMs. Get the jade spirit enchant. It is expensive but makes a big difference.
02/17/2013 03:58 PMPosted by Thoriv
I just guess I need more practise on just healing in general. It really sucked and it was my first time stepping into challenge modes. Plus they want gold.
Not to be harsh, but then that's a problem with you and as you said, the only way to fix it is with practice.

You can't go in with the mindset of lolfirstimegold (not saying you in particular did) even though the CM's are designed to be glorified time trials.

As I said, not being mean but just being a little blunt. I do wish you luck if you do continue to practice in CM's. :)
I have healed 8 gold so far as a resto (we are going to shadowpan monastery tmr)

and when you asked for tips and tricks, it really varies from dungeon to dungeon.
so far, i have been using the current set of glyphs and talents for most of the challenge mode but for tier 2 talent i have alternated between windwalk (useful in stormstout for example) and earthgrab (certain dungeons its more useful to use earthbind so i spec out of earthgrab).

And for tier 3 talents, its totemic restoration all the way.

Restorative amber from klaxxi is a MUST. no other mana drink can save time like it. I go into every CM bringing at least 3 stacks. Also i use spirit food and flask and i barely chain heal. because i have 2 set bonus, i abuse GHW cheaper cast. in scarlet monastery the pack that hits the hardest of all packs after the first boss, i actually find myself needing to spam healing surge on the tank while they get the CC under control.

I did first 6 with a prot pally dk dps, spriest, hunter, rsham set up. (Healing prot pally in CM is a hard life btw lol) we only switch up to a dk tank and all range dps (incld a warlock) for mogushan palace (our 7th) because that place suck bad if u ever had a melee dps they get cleaved like no other.

Observe where you need to help the tank out with CCs (capacitor, earthgrab, earthbind) discuss with the tank and line your cc with the dps, HELP with interrupts, dps whenever you can when healing is not heavy.

CDs usage wise, after you run through a few times, you will know when to line cds, what pull you can afford to go in without drinking etc.. never be afraid to use your cds dont just keep thinking "ill save it for the boss". Since you are using totemic restoration+ recall glyph, I hope i dont have to tell you that recall your healing stream before expire save you heaps of mana, and abuse your healing tide with that combo (hence what i said with dont be afraid to use your cds)

I went for unleashed fury instead of primal elementalist (tbh its just one less cd to pop i can be lazy) but also my healing style for CM are mostly direct healing instead of AE heals (not alot of time to cast chain heals healing rain due to constant moving and dps spread in most dungeons). 50% direct heal bonus upon 30% bonus unleash life means that when used together (because the buff is multiplicative) you can literally bring a near death tank back to full health in 1 UE+RIPTIDE+GHW/HS

SWG with ascendance, SWG when tank LOS-ing you, remember to use grounding totem, FS+ searing totem (squeeze it in even when its pack that you be sooo busy to heal you cant do anything else-every bit dps helps even if its mosquito bites)

theres really not much difference in our gear, but imo, you should match your sockets in items where you gem pure spirits to take advantage of the intellect. that extra 120 int u can gain from the socket bonus is really good beside you already have real good spirit trinkets. Intel is still the best prime stat output despite all that talk about needing alot of spirit. bigger heals = less spirit needed. you might also need a teeensy winsy bit more mastery rather than haste. low int + high haste is not a good combo at all. strive for minimum 50% mastery. Reforge for crit to get more mana back. Haste as output are only good when you have mana to burn.

so after all that, its just a matter of practise. good luck!

edit:
Stone bulwark is lame, I use nature's guardian because astral shift is 1 extra gcd to cast. Might want to spec out of that btw lol

Why is that? Just for a healing stream a second early? Or are you clipping other totems and using them more frequently?

Also i use spirit food and flask and i barely chain heal. because i have 2 set bonus, i abuse GHW cheaper cast.
Set bonuses don't work in challenge mode. The budget for spirit and int makes int flasks more desirable. 1000 int>1000 spirit

Stone bulwark is lame, I use nature's guardian because astral shift is 1 extra gcd to cast. Might want to spec out of that btw lol
Astral shift is fantastic if you are predicting dmg. Nature's guardian doesn't reduce dmg.

Why is that? Just for a healing stream a second early? Or are you clipping other totems and using them more frequently?

Also i use spirit food and flask and i barely chain heal. because i have 2 set bonus, i abuse GHW cheaper cast.
Set bonuses don't work in challenge mode. The budget for spirit and int makes int flasks more desirable. 1000 int>1000 spirit

Astral shift is fantastic if you are predicting dmg. Nature's guardian doesn't reduce dmg.

1. Yes, i am clipping all totems esp to cast healing tide more frequently.

2. tbh someone told me the 2set works. thats what i been believing in :P anyhow i do alot of GHW and even surges and mana for the first time really challenged me in shado-pan. but thats just a matter of practising the runs. Ya, you can use int flask or be a balla and alt spirit and int flask as you go along the dungeons i do that when i have to spec to enhance for example to dps then switch back heals. Int is not the issue for me. I think its acceptable level as my hps is good throughout. High spirit just enables you to regen very fast even in places where you cant drink and need to run to attack the time. But w/e floats your healing style. I just have spirit food to regen real fast so my drinking is really minimal even with embers.

3. Yes you are correct, but i have been able to have NG proc to buy me time to heal me up and reduce healing aggro like first trash pull of shado pan for example or when the tank is pulling the trash pack at first boss of scarlet monastery. But mostly its cause i want to save that 1 extra gcd and i am able to manage w/o it. I use AS on my enhance spec though and its real useful there. but yeah, i should say just depends on playstyle. but bulwark is totally useless.

After finishing shado-pan monastery today, i have to say stormstout is the only one i actually disliked. The others are really great fun.
Grats on your golds! :D

I agree, Stormstout is the worst. That first stretch to ook-ook and then the strict requirements for the last boss that can easily ruin the whole thing.

I can see how clipping healing tide could be useful, but it seems pretty situational since you're still losing up-time on the totem since totemic restoration only gives 50% back of what you have left. But I'm probably biased cuz I love totemic projection and use it constantly.
Aww I wish I had the time to do challenge modes :/ my guildies did them without me because I was never on when they wantead to do them
Theres a thread up in the dungeon and raids forum where you can try to find a group. Could possibly try openraid, might be able to find a suitable time.
02/18/2013 11:29 PMPosted by Shellfish
But mostly its cause i want to save that 1 extra gcd and i am able to manage w/o it.
Astral shift doesn't use a gcd.
Grats on your golds! :D

I agree, Stormstout is the worst. That first stretch to ook-ook and then the strict requirements for the last boss that can easily ruin the whole thing.

I can see how clipping healing tide could be useful, but it seems pretty situational since you're still losing up-time on the totem since totemic restoration only gives 50% back of what you have left. But I'm probably biased cuz I love totemic projection and use it constantly.

This is shellfish's other shaman, i just hit 90 and gearing this to do challenge mode with my horde guild, again as resto sham. :D
I was pretty sure astral shift has a gcd but i switch to NG real early on anyhow, i am not saying you MUST use NG all the time, i am just biased to NG, theres fight in raids I do still use AS.

I have a different mentality to healing tide after i started to heal challenge modes. There's absolutely no reason to let healing tide tick to full duration everytime if all your party member health are already stabilised. Its very important to constantly have cds up to heal all that big incoming all the time in challenge modes. All you need to do with healing tide is that you just need to make sure the uptime for healing tide are enough to stabilised the health pool. Then just recall the rest. After 2 mins or so wahey its up again. Thats what i call healing tide abuse :D it is a really huge cd why not have it up more often rather than let it waste away the duration if not needed?

I am going to heal CM this time with primal elementalist specced. Play around see how it goes.