Dawn of the Aspects summary

Story Forum
Post Limit:
Prev 1 2 3 6 Next
And chapter 5, last of part 1

Kalec breathes onto the artifact, freezing it, then tries to crush it with his paw and shatter the damn thing. But it didn't break. He roars at the thing to curse someone else, and it glows brighter. He tries to throw it deep into the valley, but now his body feels stressed and strained. His wings move with pain. Which means it was his own magic that had teleported him to this place so far away, exhausting him. Or maybe he had flown unconsciously the entire way.

Instead of throwing the artifact, he presses it to his chest and flies to the north. He intended to drop it off back at Galakrond's Rest, fighting exhaustion the entire flight. He turns into his mortal form and creates a globe of light to show him the way beneath Galakrond, but hears a horrible moan and turns to the sound. He realizes it's only the wind blowing through Galakrond's skull.

Once he was done with the artifact, Kalec decides he'll try to learn more about the visions from the Aspects. He doesn't have much else in his life to do anymore anyway.

Last time he was here he was a dragon, but now as a human he saw things from a different perspective and things he hadn't seen before. Things like footprints, large ones round and blunt. Maybe a magnataur. He also saw taunka tracks, curious as to why someone so respectful of the dead would be by a skeleton.

Kalec finds a magnataur spear, the tip covered in blood. He figures the magnataur had killed the taunka then taken the corpse for food.
He continues to move beneath Galakrond, then senses he's not alone. He sees a female taunka under the ribcage. She knows he's a dragon. Her name is Buniq.
Kalrc keeps the artifact hidden, subtlety moving his light globe so it blinds Buniq a little bit. Buniq is there to find a relic and prove herself worthy to her love. Kalec wonders if she's hunting the thing he has. Buniq talks about how the taunka respect the Dragonblight, calling the dragons "great ones", then moves to the hole Kalec had found the artifact in.
Buniq says a world without dragons would be strange, without harmony. The world is hard enough to survive in and needs dragons.
Kalec tries to think of a way he can tell Buniq she should go. Buniq suddenly was no longer in front of him, walking down the way he came. He couldn't recall her moving past him. Buniq looks at the crook of his arm, and says some things should not remain buried. Then Kalec asks what she means, but Buniq was gone. Her tracks gone too.

Kalec thinks the artifact must be toying with him again. He notices, by where Buniq had rested her spear... a hand. A grey hand, clearly larger than a human or a dwarf. What he had thought was flesh on it turned out to be remnants of a glove. Buniq's spear must have disturbed the snow, uncovering the hand. Something was in the palm of the hand, round and apparently glass. When Kalec touched it it was warm.

The artifact glowed again, blue this time instead of violet. It fell from his arm and landed in the gloved hand.

"This is not true. They are wrong..." proto-Ysera
"He is not smart. But smart enough..." proto-Malygos
Now Kalec sees through the eyes of Malygos once again; there's another shriveled proto-dragon corpse. Looks like it was once ivory, but now is dusty white. The face looked to be in pain.
Kalec looks past Ysera and an orange he assumes is Alexstrasza to see another corpse. This one had the blue-white colors that marked it as part of Malygos's breed. Malygos apparently knew him, his name was Tarys. He and Malygos had hunted as hatchlings while learning proper tactics.
Kalec feels the emotions more clearly than ever. The vision's more vivid than before.

Malygos mentions to Alex and Ysera that Galakrond had killed these and at least a dozen other. Alex considers it, Ysera doesn't believe it. A purple proto-drake even smaller than Ysera looked half-dead and was crying "Swallowed them up! Swallowed them up!" over and over.
Ysera points that these ones weren't swallowed. "Galakrond not like them?
"Swallowed them up!" the purple repeats.

Alex murmurs something reassuring into the cowering purple, and Ysera scowls at her. The sisters had found this purple and realized his ramblings matched Malygos's own theories so had sought the blue out. Malygos asks if there are more, and the purple glances to the west to a high ridge. Malygos knows the area has a lot of grazing prey in the spring and has a river below. He heads in that direction There are marks in the dirt that look like something Malygos's size had dragged itself to the ridge.

Malygos smells rotted flesh and whirls to see the dead dragon with sunken eyes Kalec had experienced in the Nexus. Malygos freezes it with his breath. But the corpse barely shivers and keeps attacking. The undead dragon breathes out a green cloud, burning Malygos's eyes and overcoming him with nausea. Alex breathes fire on the undead dragon, and Ysera pulls him out.

Malygos orders Ysera to let him go, and he charges to help Alex. The combined fire and ice crumbles the undead dragon, collapsing it. Malygos spun around back the way he came, and can no longer see the cowering purple protodragon. Probably fled, wisely. But that's not what Malygos was concerned about, he turns to see the first corpse from earlier and it starts moving. Malygos tears off the upper part of the neck, tossing the severed head a few yards. Malygos turns to the other corpse, but the sisters had already torn it apart.

"It did not move. We did not want it to." - Ysera
Malygos nods, Alex seems troubled. She wonders where the other dead ones the purple talked about are. They hear a cry, and suddenly Kalec finds himself back himself again. And a dragon, not a human. And flying, not beneath Galakrond. And with both the artifact and the round glass thing the hand had held with him, combined together into one piece. They had meant to be together from the start, separated until now.

Kalec was concerned how it seemed to be acting with its own mind. He stops over jagged mountains on the edge of Dragonblight and decides to just shatter the damn thing. He drops it, the suddenly feels uneasy and dives after it as suddenly it starts glowing. He has one last glance of the jagged rocks rushing at him before blacking back out.

Proto-dragons shrike and dart across the sky as a thundering roar shook the mountains. Malygos looked up at Galakrond blotting out the sun above. Malygos dives down to a crevasse as Galakrond devours a silver proto-dragon. Kalec notices that Galakrond's body seems distended in places, like his gullet. he wonders why Galakrond is doing this.

Coros collides with Malygos, both apparently eager to hide in the same location. Malygos dives down to deal with Coros, but Galakrond's jaws close down around Malygos.

End of part 1.
Oh cool, the taunka ghost Kalec found is an existing character. I did a quick wowpedia search, Buniq was one of the taunka Trag Highmountain met in the Legends manga.
Undead, so soon in the timeline? Hmm.
I'm thinking this is an Old God plot. They're controlling Galakrond somehow to kill them and shrivel them all up, then the corpses raise, and this artifact Kalec found has something to do with it.

I think the severed hand Kalec found is Tyr's. Galakrond was probably the great evil he cut his hand off to defeat.
I'm thinking this is an Old God plot. They're controlling Galakrond somehow to kill them and shrivel them all up, then the corpses raise, and this artifact Kalec found has something to do with it.

I think the severed hand Kalec found is Tyr's. Galakrond was probably the great evil he cut his hand off to defeat.

It's really hard to read what's been said :(
Sigh.. It's a book I'll have to buy, but I think I'll wait untill it;s all out

It's really hard to read what's been said :(

Sorry if I'm not too clear, I was typing and reading at the same time so was kind of muddled. Don't usually do summaries like this.

But basically, in this last chapter, the proto-Aspects (minus Neltharion and Nozdormu) find shriveled husks of protodragons. Two come alive and attack them.
In the present, Kalec finds a severed hand that looks too big to be a human's, clutching an orb that combines with the artifact that is giving him these visions (hint hint Tyr hint hint).
Then back in the past, Galakrond is devouring proto-dragons. The book ends with him clamping his jaws around proto-Malygos.

02/18/2013 07:18 PMPosted by Ferlion
Sigh.. It's a book I'll have to buy, but I think I'll wait untill it;s all out

Parts look to be only $2 each, so about $10 when all is said and done. Not too bad.
Maybe it's the way you're summarizing it, but it actually sounds interesting. Still don't want to spend money on it myself, though, so I'll be looking forward to more of your posts, Drei.
Plot seems to be moving at a dragonball z pace.
02/18/2013 08:00 PMPosted by Rhonwen
Maybe it's the way you're summarizing it, but it actually sounds interesting. Still don't want to spend money on it myself, though, so I'll be looking forward to more of your posts, Drei.

Gonna have to wait a month, part 2 comes out March.

So let's discuss what's going on here. Something (Malygos thinks it's Galakrond) is killing proto-drakes brutally. They're shriveling up into dried husks, nothing but skin and bones. Then they're coming to life as undead.
Old Gods? Titan experiment gone wrong?

Also, the mystery of how some proto-dragons gained sentience and speech. Kalec points it out as being weird, so it isn't just "they can do that." Something is up.

And last, the mysterious cloaked humanoid with only one arm visible.
02/18/2013 08:23 PMPosted by Dreignei

Gonna have to wait a month, part 2 comes out March.

So let's discuss what's going on here. Something (Malygos thinks it's Galakrond) is killing proto-drakes brutally. They're shriveling up into dried husks, nothing but skin and bones. Then they're coming to life as undead.
Old Gods? Titan experiment gone wrong?

Also, the mystery of how some proto-dragons gained sentience and speech. Kalec points it out as being weird, so it isn't just "they can do that." Something is up.

And last, the mysterious cloaked humanoid with only one arm visible.

Fine by me. :P
I don't like that they had names and were relatively sentient.

I think this is one of those things that didn't need a story, and needed more of a 'history book' type of delivery, like something that Brann could have found in Ulduar and translated to Common. Something that was an account of the history of the Dragons.

Or just a quest series in the game that functioned like those Jade Forest ones.
02/18/2013 08:25 PMPosted by Rhonwen
Fine by me. :P

For anyone interested, these are the release dates:

Part 1: 19 February 2013
Part 2: 18 March 2013
Part 3: 22 April 2013
Part 4: 20 May 2013
Part 5: 17 June 2013

Part 1 was only 2 bucks, so the others will probably be equally as cheap.

02/18/2013 08:26 PMPosted by Draile
Or just a quest series in the game that functioned like those Jade Forest ones.

Where would it have fit? The dragons aren't relevant to MoP.

People say they'd be fine with books if they didn't have important things, ie Tides of War. We get a book that isn't important, now people want it in the game?
It's different people but I get the idea, people don't know what they want ;)
Also I realize my post might have been agressive. Sorry if it was. I'm more expressing confusion.
Maybe there could be a Caverns of Time dungeon dedicated to this? Though I guess that wouldn't work, unless it was powerful mages guiding adventurers instead of dragons...

People say they'd be fine with books if they didn't have important things, ie Tides of War. We get a book that isn't important, now people want it in the game?

I'm not every "people" in the world.

I want all important story developments in the game. Books should be left for side projects, like self-contained stories or as history pieces. You know, things that either need to be covered but don't make sense in present-day Azeroth(Like the Troll Wars), or things where an author was actually inspired to write something meaningful and not just paid to write about romancing dragons.

Blizzard discredits their primary medium by not striving to meet and exceed the standards of story telling that so many of their peers in the industry strive to improve upon every day.

I want all important story developments in the game. Books should be left for side projects, like self-contained stories or as history pieces. You know, things that either need to be covered but don't make sense in present-day Azeroth(Like the Troll Wars), or things where an author was actually inspired to write something meaningful and not just paid to write about romancing dragons.

Blizzard discredits their primary medium by not striving to meet and exceed the standards of story telling that so many of their peers in the industry strive to improve upon every day.

But this isn't important. Nothing about the proto-dragons affects the time of MoP.

But this isn't important. Nothing about the proto-dragons affects the time of MoP.

Not every quest has to be relevant to what is going on with Pandaria's story, either. The Lunar festival just happened, and yet it has nothing to do with Pandaria. Darnassus just had a stealth raid on it in 5.1, yet Pandaria is only involved in an indirect sense.

All Blizzard would have had to do was put the quest somewhere relevant in the game world, tell players about it in a patch note, and let us go after it. Or hell, even have it as paid DLC to justify the development time.