Question About Upgrading Hardware

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Okay SO...

I am planning to upgrade some of my hardware soon. I understand that 99% of the time when you upgrade your Mobo + CPU you must re-install Windows again (which is fine I will be upgrading to "8" at the same time) Here are my questions.

-What is the process to upgrading my hardware and OS. I currently use Vista, and have 2 HDD's, One smaller one used for windows booting and drivers etc.. and one for storage. Would it be "who" of me to back-up everything onto a flash drive (or two) or disk(s) before upgrading. Or, if I make sure all my pics, videos, music, etc.. is on my storage HDD and install windows 8 to the smaller one that Vista is currently on will windows 8 be able to still see the pictures on the storage drive.... I am not sure if I am making sense, because this is still kind of confusing in my own mind.

-Will installing windows 8 automatically give me the option re-format my hard drive or should I do that before hand?

Thanks in advance!

TL:DR - I am upgrading everything but my Hard Drives basically and don't know what to do about pics, videos, etc... before the upgrade.
Anything you want to keep I would back up with whatever method you choose. I find flash drives to be easiest as i use my ipod for big programs. As far as installing windows 8 it should give you an option to reformat and partition your drives when you begin the install. Youtube has a ton of videos on how to do basically anything as far as installing an OS or building a computer (i know newegg makes a few).

I know it's not part of the question and it's a matter of personal preference, but from what I've seen and heard windows 8 is a bit clunky on the desktop and not very gamer friendly in general. Mostly due to the xbox like desktop but it is also the first release, which means it wont be optimized for gaming and compatibility may be an issue at first.

I really haven't looked into the issue much as i plan on sticking with windows 7 for the time being but if anyone is using it id love to hear how it works as far as compatibility.

But back to your question, if you put your pic and video files on a flash drive, reformat both drives and wipe em clean, partition, etc. You'll be able to transfer the files from the hard drive to whatever folder you want them in and windows should recognize them as long as they're in a format that it knows, which it's not likely they wouldn't be.

Hope that helps!
-What is the process to upgrading my hardware and OS. I currently use Vista, and have 2 HDD's, One smaller one used for windows booting and drivers etc.. and one for storage. Would it be "who" of me to back-up everything onto a flash drive (or two) or disk(s) before upgrading. Or, if I make sure all my pics, videos, music, etc.. is on my storage HDD and install windows 8 to the smaller one that Vista is currently on will windows 8 be able to still see the pictures on the storage drive.... I am not sure if I am making sense, because this is still kind of confusing in my own mind.

I would put everything i want to save on the storage drive then just leave that drive unplugged while doing the install and plug it in after you have windows installed. And yes windows 8 should be able to read data that was written in windows vista.

-Will installing windows 8 automatically give me the option re-format my hard drive or should I do that before hand?

Yes the install process should give you the option to completely reformat the drive or just do a quick install or an upgrade.
Thank you