Bringing someone new in, where to start?

New Player Help and Guides
So I'm finally getting my girlfriend to play some WoW with me and I need to know where to start with it.

I just came back about a month ago and I've been having a lot of fun rolling Horde for the first time on a PvP server and have just found a guild that I really like. The only problem is I'm not really sure if I should bring her into the same server since I don't know if she'll take kindly to the gankfest that can go on. Is there any thoughts on this? I'd really hate to reroll ANOTHER character now just to play with her.

I also am looking for suggestions on what a good starting character is. I know they are all pretty forgiving for learning on, but she's rolling a warlock when we played for a few minutes last time, and I just don't think that it's a great class to start on, what with the DOT Managment and all. What really launched me into the game was a Ret Pally, since they were decent for solo questing and all.

Last, if she Starts a character on another server, can we play together doing cross realm? My accounts are both on the same Bnet account, so I only have the one Battletag/RealID and I can't seem get it to let me friend myself 'n all. Should I just go in for a new copy and an Authent' right off the bat? It is on sale and all. The only upside to staying on the same Bnet account I see is that We would both get access to the same mounts and pets.

TL:DR

Would it be a bad Idea to have a new player roll on a PvP realm?

Whats a good starting class to have a new player start with if you're always going to quest together?

Is there a way to RealID/Btag Cross realm your own two accounts, or would it be easier to just get a new Bnet/copy of the game?
1. Depends upon the player. Some enjoy PvP with all it's suspense.

2. Most folks quit because they're bored. Let her play the class she's most interested in. There's a sticky up above with a questionnaire for figuring out the right class/race/alt.

3. Don't know.
...she's rolling a warlock when we played for a few minutes last time, and I just don't think that it's a great class to start on, what with the DOT Managment and all.

That doesn't come into play until a while after level 10, and even then it's added gradually enough that she can learn a good rotation as she goes. If it's a concern for her, she can try Demonology or Destruction, especially the latter since it doesn't focus on juggling DoTs. Every class is viable for solo questing, so yeah, let her pick what she wants, especially if joining you wasn't her idea.

As far as rolling on a PvP server, tell her what she can expect, then see if she's up for it or not.
1. I would NOT start a new player, especially one who's been reluctant to try, on a pvp server. She is liable to find the questing process so frustrating that she won't be able to get a real feel for the game.

2. I recommend a hunter for new players. They are versatile, durable, and the pets give a nice level of variety to the play style.

3. If you group cross realm, (my understanding is that) the invitee transfers to the inviter's realm. So, if you invite her, she will transfer to your pvp realm. And, naturally, vice versa. Watch out with the 2-person mounts, though, because I'm not sure they've fixed the bug at the borders, and people are stil getting dismounted, I think.
Hi Endives,

Just a couple of quick notes from my own experience...

My husband (then boyfriend) got me to start playing about 6 months after he did. I think he had a really good strategy. He explained the difference between a PvE and a PvP server to me and then let me choose. He also gave me a brief overview of the two factions followed by the available classes. When describing the classes he gave me (very quick) pros and cons of each and again let me choose.

Once I had my realm and character set up, I logged in and he explained the very basics. How to move around, what the health bar meant, etc. He then left me alone to do some things on my own. He was in the same room on his computer and available if/when I had questions. For me (not saying your g/f is the same way), this was the best way. I had someone I could ask questions of, but didn't feel stupid having him hover over my shoulder watching me make "noob" mistakes. However, he did fall off his chair laughing at me when he discovered me waiting in line at the bank /sigh.

Best of luck to you and your girlfriend! Tell her to just have fun with it and if she doesn't like one class, she can always reroll!
02/22/2013 06:55 PMPosted by Keleigh
However, he did fall off his chair laughing at me when he discovered me waiting in line at the bank

You made me spit soda through my nose!

I remember deciding to come back later for the AH because the line was too long.
My accounts are both on the same Bnet account, so I only have the one Battletag/RealID and I can't seem get it to let me friend myself 'n all. Should I just go in for a new copy and an Authent' right off the bat? It is on sale and all. The only upside to staying on the same Bnet account I see is that We would both get access to the same mounts and pets.

This sounds like you're planning on having the two of you play on the same Battlenet account. That is actually against the rules; only one player is permitted to access one account (except in the case of parent and dependent child).

Before having her play on a pvp server, I would fully describe what leveling would be like. It's possible she would enjoy it, but she should be able to make a fully informed decision.

Personally, I think it would be a lovely gesture to roll a new toon with her, on a realm she finds appealing. As a totally new player, she might well want to roll a few to try out.
02/22/2013 07:26 PMPosted by Nebliina
Personally, I think it would be a lovely gesture to roll a new toon with her, on a realm she finds appealing. As a totally new player, she might well want to roll a few to try out.

That's how I feel, and I want to play with her too! I just don't feel like rolling another set of characters on another realm 20 after like 20 characters or so, I'm tired of starting up, not that I wont, but you know. Just came back after stopping in Cata, at some point I'd like to get into max level content!

And as far as Bnet account sharing, I never thought of that. Back when I got my first account it was all fancy "WoW Accounts" and after the whole change to Bnet, I never thought it changed, though it makes sense! I Really didn't WANT to hear that I shouldn't use the extra copy I already own, but better now when everything to Cata is the same as a months sub.
As a suggestion after getting her started, let her do the inviting to group (explain how of course) and you can roll a toon on your server without an issue. This will mean her server is the one you get transferred to and won't have to worry about PvP on her side (if she rolls one on a PvE server). Later on you can continue leveling it, if she wants to go it alone, where you like.
Hunters is probaly good for new players. But let her pick what she wants :). Its the best for her.
And i think you 2 should begin on a Medium realm, PvP servers can be frustrating for new players. But if she likes to kill other real players ingame , stay on the PvP realm :P