How do you kill hunters as a spriest?

Priest
Hi guys, I've been doing a lot of bgs lately and noticed that I'm having a lot of trouble killing hunters. So I was wondering if any of you could shed some light as to how you counter them. My main problem is that they tend to move a lot and very fast and since I have to sit still and cast spells by the time I manage to get a mind blast and spread my dots I'm already half way health.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
Spectral Guise the opener (incase they prematurely use Silencing shot)
Open casting VT, with an immediate Shadow Word:Pain

Since usual hunter's are playing the baby no-skill BM spec this season; when they pop all their cooldowns and use stampede, you can either Fear Bomb it(psychic scream) or you can disperse through it. (throw a shield on yourself THEN disperse)

Keep your shield up, PoM, and renew whenever possible.

Once you have ONE Shadow orb, you Psychic Horror them (leaves them disarmed for 8 seconds for you to flash heal back up from their burst)

Now that the BM's burst is gone, you can use Phantasm (while it lasts until 5.2) to refresh your VT/SW:P.

Fight them normally, outputting DMG.
Use you're 90 talent (divine star = best for duels/2's) for heals and some more DPS pressure.

Once you get 3 orbs; you pop your trinket, vampiric embrace (if you are below 60% HP) then just DPS into them.

If you're gears good, and you get lucky hits you should be able to get him really low or at least force a defensive.

Since they have no cooldowns, just keep up with your Heal over time spells, and just DPS them like anyone else.

(don't forget the basic psyfiend down to fear the other person)
Pretty much what Lustx said. Only thing is you should save fear bomb for stampede if you can.
Spectral Guise the opener (incase they prematurely use Silencing shot)
Open casting VT, with an immediate Shadow Word:Pain

Since usual hunter's are playing the baby no-skill BM spec this season; when they pop all their cooldowns and use stampede, you can either Fear Bomb it(psychic scream) or you can disperse through it. (throw a shield on yourself THEN disperse)

Keep your shield up, PoM, and renew whenever possible.

Once you have ONE Shadow orb, you Psychic Horror them (leaves them disarmed for 8 seconds for you to flash heal back up from their burst)

Now that the BM's burst is gone, you can use Phantasm (while it lasts until 5.2) to refresh your VT/SW:P.

Fight them normally, outputting DMG.
Use you're 90 talent (divine star = best for duels/2's) for heals and some more DPS pressure.

Once you get 3 orbs; you pop your trinket, vampiric embrace (if you are below 60% HP) then just DPS into them.

If you're gears good, and you get lucky hits you should be able to get him really low or at least force a defensive.

Since they have no cooldowns, just keep up with your Heal over time spells, and just DPS them like anyone else.

(don't forget the basic psyfiend down to fear the other person)

Pretty much, but also you can silence the hunter to neuter his damage in addition to disarm.
U could swp him and his pet, get los of him...vt pet for fdlc procs

Wait for him to get a bad position that allows a fade +vt -> mb (for orb)

Generally ull want to force him to BW or trink before u disarm (to force the opposing when u disarm) u can los and drop a psyfiend when he gets tired of u killing his pet while he cant shoot u behind a pilllar.

Id rather use a 1pt dp to put some dmg in him and possibly force exhilaration or deterrence while i still have all my cools up.

I basically los and beat on pet for procs, peek out and nail them with fdlc/md instants. U really want disarm for rapidfire or when he turns red @ range & u cant fear off.

If he deterrence, throw a swp up to reflect on urself and shield. The ticks can proc DI blasts, and protect u from a trap if he doest have solace glyphed. If his deterrence doesn't reflect, get orb on pet and use it to disarm him right out of it. Crank dmg out (trink/fiend/blast/etc) and fade as soon as disarm drops if u have mb avail to hardcast.

Glyph reflective shield over mass dispell for 1v1 or randoms.

Really u can los and instant/dot them down, use pet for procs (or even bait exhilaration just dmging pet).

In bgs u can fade/sg the zoo and they bugout on someone else as they are mindless npc's {hunter must be hard} (mean, but effective)
The fear bomb will need a new tactic because PvP Trink that breaks CC will also work for pets. Try to make them use their Trink before you fear bomb the zoo.
03/01/2013 02:27 PMPosted by Incantium
The fear bomb will need a new tactic because PvP Trink that breaks CC will also work for pets. Try to make them use their Trink before you fear bomb the zoo.

So Psyfiend/Dominate Mind? That's what I'd do.

All in all, this advice is awesome. :D Gotta keep this in mind later on.
Hunters used to be easy to kill.
Mind Control the Hunter/Pet to attack eachother.

I'm not very good at Shadow Priests.
03/01/2013 11:05 AMPosted by Videoh
If he deterrence, throw a swp up to reflect on urself and shield. The ticks can proc DI blasts, and protect u from a trap if he doest have solace glyphed.

Thats a really good idea, I nvr thought about getting myself out of a trap that way, or getting MB procs.
I prefer having tendrils for stampede. If there isn't anything to LOS him with then you'll probably want to use your fades to flash heal.

I always try to dot up the pet for the procs and if you can build up 3 orbs and vamp embrace at the same time you'll do a ton of self healing.
Mind Control the Hunter/Pet to attack eachother.

I'm not very good at Shadow Priests.

I kinda want to try that just to see what happens.

And personally, since I've been running Void Tendrils (getting used to it because of the psyfeind nerf) I root the zoo. Also, if he's BM, KILL THE DAMN PET. I've had hunter leave duels/2's simply because I kept killing the pet.
Find something, anything to obstruct their LOS. DoT the Hunter up and run behind the pillar to keep yourself topped off; kill his pet as well.

Always always SW:P first. Do not VT or MB first.

If the Hunter is stupid enough to continue running after you, then you can wear him down through defensive play while DoTs tick. At some point when he gets low enough you can come out guns blazing and burn him down.

Out in the open, 1v1, a good Hunter will tear you apart every time. They are not going to let you get off MB/VT without a lot of difficulty, and by the time you successfully get these off you're going to be much lower than him. Arcane Shot removes much of your survivability so that you can't really stabilize your health and it will continue to drop. He will have control and burst that you cannot match.