So, uh...exactly how important is haste cap?

Priest
In a desperate bid to reach the haste cap (because there seems to be a lack of cloth haste gear dropping for me) I've started doing some blatantly weird things with my gemming.

Only it's making me really self-conscious and I still can't seem to reach that mythical point of 8085 haste, so I'm starting to wonder if it's really worth the intellect I'm currently losing out on. I know the cap is very important, but exactly how much?

(Also, any other little hints on my reforging/gemming would be appreciated. Just, you know, in an attempt to be as best as I can be.)
Giving up less than 250 int to gain 8085 haste is a straightforward DPS gain.

You can give up 452 int for haste to gain the haste cap and see an increase in DPS.

Other than that, don't sweat the breakpoint if you can't effectively reach it.

Kudos to the team at Howtopriest.com for giving me these answers.
Thanks. I did some math and decided a 720 intellect loss from my current setup on gems was far too much.

I have anothe question though, a friend suggested that I should ignore haste until I can get that breakpoint (that is, switch everything I currently have for haste into crit instead). Is that true? It seems like something I should dismiss out of hand.
Haste is your best secondary stat at your gear level. Beyond 8085 haste, crit and mastery tend to outperform haste at heroic gear levels.

Use only reckless, purified, and brilliant gems with your current gear.
Can I suggest a couple of alternates to your xmog:

Chest: Black Mageweave Vest
Legs: Leggings of Calamity

and
Boots: Vindicator's Dreadweave Stalkers
You're almost an entire tier from the item level where you can reliably profit from the haste breakpoint. Don't worry about it until you're in the mid 490s.

I have anothe question though, a friend suggested that I should ignore haste until I can get that breakpoint (that is, switch everything I currently have for haste into crit instead). Is that true? It seems like something I should dismiss out of hand.

This is very wrong.
Can I suggest a couple of alternates to your xmog:

Chest: Black Mageweave Vest
Legs: Leggings of Calamity

and
Boots: Vindicator's Dreadweave Stalkers

no
Thanks. I did some math and decided a 720 intellect loss from my current setup on gems was far too much.

Depending on your gear it can work.

When I was on 463 blues I used crit>haste>mastery

Wasn't bad at all. Don't think it works anymore.
Mostly gear related. Once you hit the point and start gaining bis heroic gear you find yourself in a really good spot for the next tier.