Moving to Frostmourne - Questions

Frostmourne
Post Limit:
One of my mains is a GM of a level 25 guild on a server totally dominated by a faction. Massively imbalanced. Thinking of moving the guild/GM and some toons to a better balanced server and also one where it is PvP and one where we can actually expect to meet players while we are levelling new toons.

I say "we" because we are a family account with shared toons and play pretty much 24/7 sometimes, such is the need to "take turns". We love a bit of random world PvP and while we are not gankers we enjoy mixing it up whenever and wherever.

Frostmourne is in our group of servers and seems highly populated and reasonably well balanced.

Any negatives I should know of at Frostmourne?

One of us enjoys playing the AH. I gather that the really rare stuff has a lower price at Frostmourne, such as rare mounts and pets, rare profession recipes. But in terms of buying mats for leveling profs (rather than gathering myself) then prices will be lower than on our current lower pop server.

Queue times for non tanks? Talking Heroic Mists and LFR here. How about call to arms BG queues?

On a balanced server the "other" or "neutral" AH should actually have some stuff to buy (unlike on the current server - it is dead).

And our casual leveling guild actually has a chance to start again to recruit members or will it be tough?

Any other thoughts please.

(The "current" server we are talking about is not Medivh - I just chose a random toon to post this up)
02/27/2013 01:48 AMPosted by Mistysky

http://www.wowprogress.com/pve/us/frostmourne

.52 Horde to 1 Alliance player. There is currently a little imbalance in my opinion, which is based purely on my experiences doing dailies recently. Though not nearly as bad as the server your GM is on.

Queue times are fairly quick if you play a healer, but for DPS it is generally 30+ minutes. Call to arms is upward of 5 minutes.

The Alliance AH is quite busy, generally a market for everything at the moment. Neutral AH generally has a fair amount of stock, but I haven't checked in a couple of months.

If you're bringing your guild over as a casual levelling guild with plans of expanding the roster, you may find some difficulty. A lot of guilds that were Horde have since gone Alliance, so more players are rolling Alliance for the opportunity to experience a fuller player base. I really cannot say how many levelling guilds Horde side currently has, though with 5.2 coming soon, it may draw players back in. Personally, I'd go Horde just to escape so many Alliance, were it not for my bank situation.

Good luck.
One of us enjoys playing the AH. I gather that the really rare stuff has a lower price at Frostmourne, such as rare mounts and pets, rare profession recipes. But in terms of buying mats for leveling profs (rather than gathering myself) then prices will be lower than on our current lower pop server.

This is correct. Frostmourne is absolutely riddled with bots, so all the basic things like herbs/ore/leather are dirt cheap.

However, stuff that can't be botted like the 300 stat food is expensive as !@#$ still.

Queue times for non tanks? Talking Heroic Mists and LFR here. How about call to arms BG queues?

Queue times for non-tanks are the same anywhere. 10 minutes for a DPS queue for a heroic and 20 mins for a LFR queue seems to be the norm. CTA/Random BG's are nearly instantaneous.

On a balanced server the "other" or "neutral" AH should actually have some stuff to buy (unlike on the current server - it is dead).

The neutral AH on Frostmourne doesn't really serve any purpose except for those moving stock cross faction, or for those newbies who don't really know any better.

Any other thoughts please.

I'll link Miirkats guide for Frostmourne. It should answer most general questions.
02/27/2013 05:00 AMPosted by Awkwardz
I'll link Miirkats guide for Frostmourne. It should answer most general questions.
Here you go:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4365753734?page=1#1
Lawl! Thanks Bladestorm, and others too. Had no idea everyone wants to move to Frostmourne!

So expectations are pretty spot on then.

Heck, I recall trying to get to 200 cooking recipes as Horde for that achievement, back in the day. With a dead Neutral AH I knew I would never get there on my current server. And then I tried selling Horde only cooking recipes and pets on the Neutral AH. Over weeks never a nibble but managed to profit from noobs on my own AH when I decided to clear my stock :/.

I am a keen grinder-gatherer (for profit) and enjoy chasing down rare spawns on my current server so obviously I will have to lower my expectations on Frostmourne. Or get smart ;).

From the PvP side of things we are excited. Nothing better than beating down on someone of similar level while as Burgy Blackheart or with Old Crafty in hand. Ultimate disrespect. :D.

We enjoy playing [H] but on Frostmourne [A] will now be a viable option. We would transfer as [H].

The key stumbling blocks will be

(1) the $$$$$$ of real money we have to invest as a family
(2) our abandoned toons stuck in a to-become level one shell of the old guild
(3) significantly more [A] then [H] but for Oceanic servers with a decent population it seems okay

Will probably start a "dummy" toon as [A] and one as [H] too and suss things out a bit in SW/Org and in chat.
Having been on both sides of the fence, Horde isn't as desolate as the numbers would lead you to believe. People on Frostmourne Alliance as just used to a massive hive of activity due to being the now dominant faction.

That in mind, Horde-side could use more numbers regardless.
02/27/2013 02:12 AMPosted by Belle

i should've charged you 10k for that name bellisma. man i'm too nice. /wink
Frostmourne
Alliance 98,652
Horde 65,994
A/H Ratio 1.495
Total Characters 1-90 179,705
Currently 4th most populated US realm.

http://wow.realmpop.com/us-frostmourne.html
Updates every 10 days
02/27/2013 06:18 AMPosted by Bladestorm
Here you go:

This really needs to be stickied.

And Blizzard REALLY needs to make it so that links to their own site can be quoted.
02/27/2013 11:35 AMPosted by Mistysky
I am a keen grinder-gatherer (for profit) and enjoy chasing down rare spawns on my current server so obviously I will have to lower my expectations on Frostmourne. Or get smart ;).

I wouldn't necessarily say that. I generally play from 9pm ST - 12pm ST and there are still plenty of minerals around, even in the well known farming areas. As for rares, I usually see at least three in that time span, without ever intending on looking for them.

02/27/2013 04:17 PMPosted by Wildstyle
i should've charged you 10k for that name bellisma. man i'm too nice. /wink

Hey man! I never see you online anymore. How're you?
If you do come over, please go horde so I can thunderstorm you off the goat mountain in 4W. Killing the same bots and people doing dailies gets somewhat tiresome after a while.
Checked out the Alliance side of the AH. Mineral prices are about the same. Same for the sundry stuff you get from mining, such as the elementals. Mithril Bars, Saronite Bars, Kyparite, Dark Iron Ore - all of which I farm, are priced attactively for me to continue farming. Ghost Iron Ore about the same as what I usually pay (too lazy to farm - i go through a lot for my JC dailies).

But.... rarer or situational stuff like Swift Lovebirds... I couldn't sell them on my medium pop server. Let my stash go for under 1000G each from memory. Priced over 6000G Alliance side on Frostmourne as I type this. Sure.. asking price only and not clear sales.

Vial of the Sands at 31-32K... yeah that is fair. Still costs heaps to make. Give the Alchie a break. He/she spent a long time farming the recipe. I am used to slightly sub 30K though.

Some TCG mounts on the AH. Never see that on my current server. To be expected.

Companion pets ("classic" pets)... Wood Frog prices half what I could get. Usual silly stuff like players putting up Senegals etc. Same on my current server. Pullin in the noobs lol. I can get 5G easily for snakes on the Horde AH. Snowshoes, Owls, Moths... really... Dumb or what lol the Alliance players. Do peeps actually buy at 50G a throw. I'll be in that for quick $$$. Preserved Holly prices disappointing.

More variety for sure at Frostmourne.

Joined a couple of high pop casual guilds. No chat at all. everyone doing their own thing. As GM on my current server I can attest to that. I have to practically beg to get casuals to do stuff together in ordr to create a guild vibe. Same on Forstmourne it seems.

(Sure, this is Thursday. I am aware of price fluctuations during the week).

Need to check out the [H] side now. :)
Alliance Trade Chat. Things happening. Some variety of Mists content. Older stuff too. Just like it was Horde side on Thaurissan 2 years ago. And other servers I played longer ago.

The current state of active players in WoW aside, I like the energy in TC.

-------

So moved from IF to SW. Kinda good to see the Trade District so crowded. Like old times back on Medivh. Horde players are not so cramped. More room to show off your new mount for example. Blizzard did their best to ensure the other two Alliance capitals are deserted so I won't even bother exploring there. ;)

Players hanging around Innkeeper Allison. Heck on my current Horde server I could hide upstairs, ready to gank peeps. Perfect place to go while invis.

------

Ian Drake at the entrance to the old AH. Memories of glitching...