Fresh-ish 90 - Help my Tanking better

Monk
Things with my Healing have improved, and now I'm in all 463s or better in it, so I can focus more on my Tanking before I look at joining the LFR. So far, all but one haven't complained about my being squishier than other tanks. Granted, I'm thinking a lot of them suffered in silence, and it's even apparent to me that compared to my DK at the same point, my Monk just isn't taking hits very well. I get smashed easily if I try and pull as much as other tanks do.

So give me a run-down based on the heroic dungeons gear I've got, and help me find out what to do so I can either take hits better or avoid them altogether.

Note, yes I don't have stuff enchanted yet, I have a friend who enchants that I'm waiting to help me with that when she's not busy. No point wasting gold on the AH now when I can get the same stuff for free soon.
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1101410-The-Brewmaster-Tanking-Guide-5-1-0

Good reference guide. The absolute # 1 most importing thing as BrM is keeping your shuffle buff up as close to 100% of the time you are tanking as possible. Use Guard on CD or time it around big incoming hits if the mechanics dictate that.

Early on you won't have much haste so you can probably only afford to use Purifying Brew when you are at moderate or heavy stagger only and very little extra Chi for the L30 talents.

Don't fall into the Breath of Fire trap it's a chi waster, only use it if your good on Shuffle/Guard and have extra chi.
And shuffle is the buff gained from Blackout Kick, right? Hmmm, I have been using Breath a bit much, but that's because it'a great multi-target threat generator. I suppose to start I can reduce my breath usage to once or twice at the start of a multi-target fight and then BK more. A good thing to know first off, thanks.
The only reason you would use BoF is for the glyphed disorient effect if you're getting hurt too much and you're coming to a gap in your active mitigation (no EB stacks, shuffle about to fall of, guard still on cooldown, low on health and energy). Really, if you're worried about AoE threat, then you need to work on your Keg Smash. It's really the only threat ability you need; it hits like a truck and produces insane amounts of threat.

Shuffle is the key to our active mitigation, so Blackout Kick will be your most used ability in your rotation. Guard should also tend to be kept on cooldown, but don't lead fights with it. Build up some Vengenace, as increased AP = increased Guard size. Remember, use Tiger Palm before using Guard to increase its size by another 30%. Also, be aware for when big chunks of damage will be coming, so you can use Guard to absorb its affects. Keep in mind, too, that your own self-heals (Chi-Wave, Expel Harm, GotO, etc.) are buffed.

All that said, you should be pretty aware of your self-heals. Gift of the Ox is absolutely invaluable: pay attention to where those little green orbs of delicious green numbers are. Chi Wave is getting its Chi cost removed, so now we don't have to decide on self-heals vs. mitigation; keep that on cooldown, I would think. Finally, Expel Harm is one of our most useful abilities, and we gain the ability to spam it if we drop below 35%. Expel Harm should be kept on cooldown as long as you are not a full health, which is pretty much every fight ever.
you're coming to a gap in your active mitigation (no EB stacks, shuffle about to fall of, guard still on cooldown, low on health and energy)

Um... no, in that situation you would use BOK not BoF...
Keg Smash is great for threat too, but adding breath really pushed threat even higher. But, I can cut it back and BK more easily enough, and SCK should help with threat against multi-targets as well. Otherwise, my use of Guard is good and I use my self-heals as much as I can but they only go so far.
02/22/2013 11:28 AMPosted by Koneko
you're coming to a gap in your active mitigation (no EB stacks, shuffle about to fall of, guard still on cooldown, low on health and energy)

Most of the time, yes, but there are times when making the enemies stop attacking altogether would be a much preferable alternative. It's all about assessing the situation.
02/22/2013 11:31 AMPosted by Changying
Keg Smash is great for threat too, but adding breath really pushed threat even higher. But, I can cut it back and BK more easily enough, and SCK should help with threat against multi-targets as well. Otherwise, my use of Guard is good and I use my self-heals as much as I can but they only go so far.

You shouldn't need to push your threat higher. You only need enough threat to keep your enemies attacking you, and keeping KS on cooldown is more than enough to do that.
Only a handful of other players were a threat to my threat gen, so I will see how just KS and SCK will turn out next time.
I never had any trouble with threat except during Cata dungeons. No idea why there but I had trouble both with this guy and another I leveled.

The Glyph for BoF is nice. I don't have it on this guy but its nice to disorient and get a few secs to get healed or grab some orbs. I doubt it works in raids but for dungeons at least gearing up it can save you.
Now that I have my baby monk tank alt (38) I start to understand the tanking mechanics of the BM monk.

On my healer druid, I've had nightmare 5-man runs with some monk tanks which made me hate having a monk tank shows up on LFD. But after getting a few good BM monks and playing mine, I started to understood that many, many monk tanks in crappy gear where just spamming Spinning Crane Kick on 4-5 elite trash packs without guard or shuffle whatsoever.
But, I can cut it back and BK more easily enough, and SCK should help with threat against multi-targets as well. Otherwise, my use of Guard is good and I use my self-heals as much as I can but they only go so far.

In general you are using SCK any time you have 3+ targets instead of jabbing. The only thing to be aware of is that you don't generate Elusive Brew stacks during SCK. You do generate a TON more GotO orbs to gobble up though.

This isn't really a big deal until you get to fights like H Wind Lord and have to be mindful of supplementing your missing EB uptime with orb healing.
Well, since I started cutting back on BoF more and used BK more, things have looked better overall. Who knew such a simple change could change things so drastically? Making sure I've enchanted, gemmed and reforged for the right stats has helped, too. So I'm on my way up now!
02/22/2013 11:31 AMPosted by Fistlobster

Most of the time, yes, but there are times when making the enemies stop attacking altogether would be a much preferable alternative. It's all about assessing the situation.

Keeping shuffle is much better than interrupting a swing timer once. The disorient would break nearly instantly, so it's really just a reset.