What professions should I choose?

New Player Help and Guides
Right now my professions are skinning and herbalism. I'm not sure whether its the best to have two gathering professions or to change skinning to inscription or alchemy. Between inscription and alchemy which earns gold easiest and cheapest?
At your level? Neither.

Keep herbalism and skinning at least until 80 or so, ideally until level cap.
Not sure of the reasons behind Harlans comments.. it would have helped to elaborate.

It's perfectly fine to dump skinning if you don't intend to keep it at level cap.

Leather doesn't seem to sell for much, and auction house deposits are prohibitive.

If skinning was a profession which gave XP like herbalism or mining, it may be worth keeping, but it doesn't... so it's not of any real benefit unless you're on a server where people are willing to continually spend a lot of gold on leather.

Inscription and alchemy aren't great gold makers.. there will always be someone who constantly undercuts you every time you list your items for sale.
Most of the potions made with low level alchemy won't sell at auction.
People level so quickly, and health pools are so large now, that potions/elixirs aren't used anywhere near as much as they used to be.
(about the only time you'll see anyone using them, is in battlegrounds)

When it comes down to it, unless you want to dedicate a lot of time to playing the auction house, neither will give you any sort of decent income.

Crafting professions are generally chosen for their endgame perks, not the gold they *may* make along the way.
...which earns gold easiest and cheapest?

Skinning, hands down, so I must respectfully disagree with Nobully. At least until you hit level 60. For example, on my server, I can get 100g for one stack of heavy leather. Thick and rugged give about 50g per stack. Even light leather I get between 10 and 20g per stack.

Now, between inscription and alchemy, inscription will get you more gold than alchemy as you're leveling. However, depending on your server, the market for inscription can be very cut-throat (You list a glyph, someone will cancel all their auctions and undercut you by a copper). Overall, glyphs will sell, but the more common ones (ie. those taught by the trainer) don't sell for nearly as much as ones you gain through the various Researches, which you can only do once per day.

Alchemy is mostly a gold sink until you reach maximum level and can make current raid potions and current material transmutes.

<--- has a maxed alchemist, as well as this maxed scribe
02/22/2013 10:50 PMPosted by Nobully
Leather doesn't seem to sell for much, and auction house deposits are prohibitive.

This is incorrect in my experience. Skins tend to be great sellers on many of the servers I play on, I think chiefly because skinning doesn't give that XP bonus. Whereas folks used to pair herb or mining with skinning by default because you could only track herbs or minerals, now that you can track both it seems lots of folks have decided to go herb/mining while leveling.

Or at least that's the best made up reason I've been able to come up with for the comparatively low supply and generally high prices. Again, all of this is server specific, so your experience may vary.

The reasons behind my comment are pretty simple. Until you get higher level either of the other profs she mentioned will be a gold sink. Neither is as terrible a drain as blacksmithing or jewelcrafting, but both are also super easy to power level at level cap when they will be far less of a gold sink.

So yeah, if your interest is in easy gold, then keep both gathering, gather all you can, auction all you gather, and power level one or both crafting profs at level cap. There are other ways to make gold hile leveling of course, but that one is by far the simplest, especially for new players.
Thanks I think I will stick to herbalism and skinning for now. When u guys were talking about selling it u mean in an auction right? Right now I'm on a starter edition and can't sell at auction. :( I probably will be getting the full version very soon though!!
02/23/2013 11:48 AMPosted by Eldrvarya
Thanks I think I will stick to herbalism and skinning for now. When u guys were talking about selling it u mean in an auction right? Right now I'm on a starter edition and can't sell at auction. :( I probably will be getting the full version very soon though!!

Yes the auction house is how gatherers make their money. You can always store your leather away until you get the full account. Trials can use the bank right?
02/23/2013 11:48 AMPosted by Eldrvarya

Yes! Its the Auction House we are talking about :) But if you want to sell it to vendors until you get full version. U should keep skinning cuz that makes you most money from normal vendors too :P
Also, if you're at 20 for a long time, the gold from questing and dungeons will pile up fast, so it's easy to keep hitting the 10g cap, especially if there are holiday quests around like this time of the year. You can buy Eternium Thread or Elemental Flux though to store the extra gold, think it's 15g, so that's another way to upgrade with some cash in pocket.
Thanks that's a great idea!! And yes trials can use the bank I already have some stuff like potions in their but I think I will start to store some of my leather and herbs so I can auction them later.
Skinning and Herbalism are gathering professions, which means they basically get the materials required to craft things. Skinning > Getting Leather > Using leather to craft items
Since you don't have leatherworking or inscription, the mats you get can be sold on the auction house. Trust me, all that leather and herbs you're NOT using will catch a hot price. IF, you are looking to make serious gold by selling "wholesale" mats.
02/23/2013 10:32 AMPosted by Harlan
Or at least that's the best made up reason I've been able to come up with for the comparatively low supply and generally high prices. Again, all of this is server specific, so your experience may vary.

Completely tangential, but my guess is that skinning is only a natural complement with one profession, but that many others have use for hides. Giving you less supply (since many characters with a gather/craft pairing will auction off mats they've outgrown) and greater demand.
How much can u get in auction for a stack of light leather or peace bloom?
02/24/2013 10:13 AMPosted by Eldrvarya

It all depends on your server economy. My server I get 9-10g per stack of light leather and 2g for the scraps. As for herbing, I cannot tell you.
02/24/2013 10:13 AMPosted by Eldrvarya

Light leather:
On your realm, Alliance side:
https://theunderminejournal.com/item.php?realm=A-Ysera&item=2318
All realms:
https://theunderminejournal.com/item.php?item=2318

Peacebloom:
https://theunderminejournal.com/item.php?realm=A-Ysera&item=2447
All realms:
https://theunderminejournal.com/item.php?item=2447
From what I've experienced, mining mats sell for much higher than herbalism mats. Mining mats are in primary demand by the most professions (3 - Blacksmithing, Engineering and Jewcrafting), and mining nodes are rarer. Herbalism nodes are quite plentiful and evenly spread out.

I dunno much about skinning, but it sounds like it suffers from the same problems as herbalism, - oversupply (it is very easy to gather mats since they are in a few concentrated places and respawn about as fast as you collect) and lack of demand (I believe only one profession primarily demands skinning mats, which is leatherworking).
So which two gathering professions earn the most gold?
02/24/2013 12:11 PMPosted by Amelica
I dunno much about skinning, but it sounds like it suffers from the same problems as herbalism, - oversupply (it is very easy to gather mats since they are in a few concentrated places and respawn about as fast as you collect) and lack of demand (I believe only one profession primarily demands skinning mats, which is leatherworking).

In my experience your observations are off as I've described earlier. I don't think any of us can be precisely sure why, but as I stated earlier, I think fewer folks may be selecting skinning as a profession because it doesn't give bonus XP. Also leatherworking, though it is only one profession, gobbles up insane amounts of leather in the leveling process. Thus, the demand remains pretty consistently high as do prices, at least in my experience. Leather tends to sell quite well and is in short supply on most servers.

As described, herbalism is definitely the lowest priced gathering profession on average right now on most servers. On the plus side though, it's probably the easiest to level.

Best thing to do is just to have a look at your server economy if you are anticipating changing one of your gathering professions.
How do I look at my server economy?
02/24/2013 06:04 PMPosted by Eldrvarya
How do I look at my server economy?

Two possible ways.

1) Go into the Auction House and pull up some auctions. Do this a few times at different times of the week. Search for things you anticipate selling -- herbs, leather, ores.

2) Go to this site and do some searches:
Light leather:
On your realm, Alliance side:
https://theunderminejournal.com/item.php?realm=A-Ysera&item=2318
All realms:
https://theunderminejournal.com/item.php?item=2318

Peacebloom:
https://theunderminejournal.com/item.php?realm=A-Ysera&item=2447
All realms:
https://theunderminejournal.com/item.php?item=2447